Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Consequences of a ignored cargo fire?

Hi,

Good question and I'm curious to see the answer.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Good day. A cargo fire can cause the demise of the aircraft depending upon the damage which is caused. In my part of the world..SAA Helderberg which is to this day shrouded in mystery..but i'm not sure what you mean by "ignored"? Obviously in the flight sim environment..I have never received such an alarm on my sim..interesting indeed. But in real world....bad news and normally results in the destruction of the airframe or controls in flight....Helderberg, Swissair, Nigeria Airlines, etc...fire on board means a negative outcome..but in the flight sim world? Who knows...

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Google UPS Flight 6; Asiana 991. Both 744Fs and both downed due to lithium batteries cooking off on the main deck. As poster above said: in RL an on board fire = death, if not managed properly (meaning land immediately and forget the idea of troubleshooting). FedEx 1406 is an example of the crew getting it right and walking away alive. 

• Upvote 2

I think what the OP is asking is in the sim, is if there is any consequences in a cargo fires in the PMDG's and if there is any possible escalation of failures.

At least it is how I understand his question. I guess everyone can easely figure out what would be the consequences of any uncontrolled fire in an airplane...

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

It would be cool (or hot heheh) if PMDG could simulate the procedures against a cargo fire and also the consequences of not dealing with a cargo fire correctly... I think there are no consequences of ignoring an engine fire either... Maybe I'm wrong...

The simulator platform does not do structural damage, which is the consequence of fire on board. The consequence can be swift, response must be immediate.  Had a Coast Guard Falcon with a tail section fire alarm while in the local patter at KCRP... he made it to the ground. The aircraft was a total loss but no one was injured.  I talked to one of the crew disassembling the aircraft (the pieces went back to the USCG Depot), and I was told that if the aircraft had been in the air 5 min longer that the tail section would have failed in flight.  Serious stuff.  The simulator cannot handle this kind of event,  even the USAF C-141 simulator I played in years ago could only dispense smoke as part of the simulation (a pretty cool feature).... at some point it stops being an aircraft simulator and your ride is over.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP