Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

First post from 35,000 feet

I think this is a first for the AVSIM forums (I am sure someone will correct me otherwise)... I am posting this message aboard Lufthansa flight 416 bound for Washington D.C., which went wheels up at 11:15 a.m. local time (45 minutes ago) which departed on 07L. As you probably know, Lufthansa was the first carrier to trial and then deploy the Boeing Connexion which provides the service to the Internet. Now, if all carriers provided this service, I would be extremely happy!

And extremely poor if the rates I heard mention are accurate :)Have a good flight.

Guest panda234

Cool. How is the connection? And what is the cost?Fire up your sim, go online, and fly alongside. You could wave at yourself out the window. :-)billg

Guest Philip Olson

Oh Tom, you beat me to it! While I have often viewed the forums from altitude, I just have never got around to posting on them. I guess that when I am in the plane I am more interested in enjoying the flight than posting. Isn't it great to know that for some we can get our Avsim fix anywhere! Someday it will probably be a standard thing on all airlines. Ok, so fess up, how was the internet connection on Lufthansa? I have not used their service yet and probably won't for some time since I rarely travel by commercial carrier anymore. My sister does fly Lufthansa a lot but she never has told me if their connections are good or not. My experiences have been great, when I am in the air my internet connection is maybe just a bit slower than my cable connection at home, not bad, of course I do not have to share any of the bandwidth with anyone else. Well that is not entirely true if I have anyone traveling with me. I was just curious on how well this system works at Lufthansa as they were one of my favorite airlines many years back.ThanksPhilip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Especially the cost.Speed I hear is OK for surfing and email (so most things people'd do on a laptop).

Guest bisinchi

That's quite fun reading a post that was posted from an airliner!! Well done on being the first one to do it!!Francois

Okay, let me prefice this post by saying that I had to get up in Istanbul at 2:00 a.m. and departed there at 6:00 a.m. to Frankfurt. Needless to say, when I got on Lufthansa flight 416 at 1020 today Frankfurt time, I was pretty pooped already. I logged on and posted the message above at about 45 minutes into the flight. To answer the questions:Fee: $29.95 for the entire flight = 8 hours or so.Bandwidth: 11 MB/secShared: None that I could tell. I had the entire BW to myself.Now, is the price too high? I can't answer that for you. For me, in my business and related to AVSIM, it was well worth it and I would have paid twice that much to be connected for 8 hours or more.The problem... Soon after I posted the above message, the meal was served, I sat the computer down, and once completed with the meal, laid my head back. BIG MISTAKE... You guessed it. I slept throught the rest of the flight and didn't wake up until they were serving the snack at the end of the flight. My computer had gone into sleep mode, and I decided I wasn't going to try to reconnect, log on, etc. etc. I enjoyed the view instead. Beautiful day to fly into IAD. The two hour drive down to CHO was also beautiful.Someday, I need to write a book about this stuff. :)

$30 for 8 hours isn't bad, unless you do it every day :)Must have misread something in the announcements, or they changed the price. My impression was that it was something like $10 an hour with a minimum of $30. Now that would have gotten expensive on a long flight.

Maybe you're dreamin, Tom. Wink!Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Erick_Cantu

30 bucks for a connection like that for an entire flight which cost a lot more by comparison? Pretty good deal if you ask me.