Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

1080ti or wait for Volta

So do you think Volta will give us significantly performance improvement over a 1080Ti?  This would be for a normal screen setup, perhaps a 4K tv but definitely not VR. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

16 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I suspect the new Titan V has only one use... for mining bitcoins.

If NVidia get there way they will drip feed the GPU`s to keep the price up and they will be worth more than bitcoins, and GPU silicon mining will be more profitable.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm spec'ing out my build now, and it includes a 1080ti...not a Volta.  My guess is the Volta cards won't be out until March-April, but who knows.   All I do know is that the 1080ti is a proven horse, and will blow away anything I'm presently using (heh).

I once had a then-near top line nVidia card (maybe it was an eVGA 660GTX series) quit working after about a year of ownership, and I vowed never to spend more than $600 for a vidcard again.  Look how weak I am.  I need Birds Anonymous for hardware.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

All I do know is that the 1080ti is a proven horse, and will blow away anything I'm presently using (heh).

And will be less expensive than the Volta cards, to boot.

Greg

Miners will grab hold of new volta gpu no matter what.  Bitcoining just don't get the economic potiental of it.  

Went to bestbuy yesterday and saw RX 580 8gb $500 get 1070ti for little more and 30% to 50% more powerful.   Once Volta arrives be prefect time to get 1080 or 1070ti used and new price will reach true MSRP.

Microcenter glad they limit how many gpu you can buy because of mining boom as it obvious buying whole crate of 1070 or 580 gpu it's not being used for Internet cafe.