Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

PayPal logon crashes Windows

Noticed by chance today how PayPal which I use quite a lot to buy software related to flight sim crashes my Windows with a kind of blue screen (BugCheck) as soon as I try to logon.

I've made sure I'm fully up to date for all my hardware as well as applying all the latest fixes for Windows and I've also scanned my PC for any potential viruses or other unwanted software both using Avast as well as Malwarebytes but it all came out clean. I've also tried both Chrome, IE and Edge but same thing...they will all crash Windows hard and I only see this issue with PayPal and no other sites or situations. I've also ran sfc but same thing there...no issues found.

A bit scary I think considering what kind of site PayPal is.

Anyone else seen this issue lately?

Richard Åsberg

Very strange indeed, try to clean all your browser history and temps with ccleaner.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I don't think it's a browser cache issue since I get the same result regardless what browser I'm using. Normally I only use Chrome so when I tried IE and Edge that would have been the first time ever using any of those to visit paypal.com meaning no old cache existing that could cause issues.

Haven't tried CCleaner and I'm a bit reluctant using that tool since it did more damage than good in the past when I tried it. These days I try to keep my registry as tidy as possible using manual measures instead where I always to a manual sweep and delete any left-overs after uninstalling any software. I do the same thing on a file level.

Really odd but I did find after a Google search I wasn't alone so guess I'll have to dig deeper. Maybe I'll get in touch with PayPal tomorrow as well when I will be able to give them a call. Figured I would post about this issue in their own support forums but can't do that either since posing requires you to logon which will...crash Windows :blink:

Richard Åsberg

Reboot your computer, then force a hard shutdown.  It should clear out the windows hard drive cache, in case you have an embedded virus.  Do not let Windows do a DSKCHK.

John

I've already rebooted my PC several times and lately I always have to perform a forced shutdown thanks to Google Backup & Sync that won't terminate correctly meaning Windows won't be able to shutdown nor reboot in a normal way. Most annoying and have had this issue for a very long time and I'm far from the only one. Quite embarrassing on Google's part I must say they still haven't fixed this considering the first reports started dropping in like in July...

Not related to this issue though I'm sure so moving back on topic as said in my initial post I've already tried doing a complete scan of my PC using both Avast which I've been relying on for many years but also using Malwarebytes since they target a bit different things.

I guess what I find most strange (and again a bit scary) with this is how it's just PayPal being affected where I've seen others reporting the exact same thing. Almost like someone is targeting PayPal...

Really looking forward to having a chat with them tomorrow over phone since I'm not able to post in their forums.

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

Noticed by chance today how PayPal which I use quite a lot to buy software related to flight sim crashes my Windows with a kind of blue screen (BugCheck) as soon as I try to logon.

What driver or component is throwing the blue screen?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

39 minutes ago, Luke said:

What driver or component is throwing the blue screen?

Cheers!

Using BlueScreenView from Nirsoft ndis.sys and ntoskrnl.exe are both marked in red so I guess that means those are the two files identified to have caused the BSOD.

Edited to add that the bug check string is

IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE

Richard Åsberg

I just tried accessing paypal.com on another computer with no issues so clearly it's something in my computer that causes this issue.

Now I just need to find the culprit...

Richard Åsberg

The culprit was Intel Technology Access which apparently is something used for those using touch screens.

Stopping all Intel Online Connect services sorted the issue and logging on to PayPal works just fine again.

I'm quite happy with this "work-around" since I'm fairly confident nothing will happen no matter how many times I touch my Samsung TV :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

5 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

I'm quite happy with this "work-around" since I'm fairly confident nothing will happen no matter how many times I touch my Samsung TV :laugh:

Oh how wrong you are! You'll definitely notice the fingerprints eventually... <where's the 'ducking flying brick' emojie?> :uwe_melk_sblh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Oh how wrong you are! You'll definitely notice the fingerprints eventually... <where's the 'ducking flying brick' emojie?> :uwe_melk_sblh:

Yeah, some people seem to think most things are touch screens.

Just have a look in a store where they keep the products behind glass and most people for unknown reasons need to press their fingers onto the glass to point one of the products out.

Pointing without touching the glass which would identify the product just as fine simply isn't enough for these folks :laugh:

Richard Åsberg

11 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Yeah, some people seem to think most things are touch screens.

I went to a McDonalds last Friday afternoon in a fairly affluent neighborhood while on my way to a Board Meeting. I was astonished to find three "double sided" touch-screen ordering stations, complete with a card reader, which of course allows six people to place and pay for their orders simultaneously, grab a numbered sign and then go straight to a table and wait for their order to be delivered...

Said delivery would be the only human contact, and that very briefly! There was one young lass still working the counter, and being the social fellow that I am, I placed my order the old-fashioned way. When I asked about the automated ordering system, she said that since they were installed the management has been able to cut the staff by about 20 people, since they didn't need so many "counter people" any longer.

She did ask me why I didn't use the touch-screen and I honestly replied that for some reason touch-screens seldom react to my finger touches. I carry a pen in my pocket with a soft rubber tip that I have to use. I suspect that something in my body chemistry doesn't provide enough capacitance for the system to read me.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You should come to Sweden.

Here we have a burger restaurant called Max similar to McDonalds but IMO much more tasty than McDonalds and they have a mobile app where you can order directly from the app :smile:

Richard Åsberg