Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Crash after Windows 7 update today

Prepar3d was unable to initialize the rendering system and was shutdown is the error I got, after I downloaded the latest important updates 7 this morning.  It said something about it couldn't find the DX 11 something or other and suggested I install the latest GPU drivers. The update had downloaded but hadn't installed yet. I rebooted the PC, and everything was fine. Then I later tried to install the update, and I got an error that it would not install. Then I looked at what the update was for , in it was for Nvidia..????  So I hid the update in windows, so it won't ever try and install it again. I do not like Windows messing with my Graphics drivers. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Get Windows 10!  Then it will be mandatory :angry: (but there's an option to turn updates from third parties off).:smile:

Edit:  Since getting the latest version of Windows 10 (v1709), I cannot install any GPU updates from Nvidia.  If I try it will corrupt my system and use the Windows Display driver instead.  If I want to use Windows again, I must use system restore to get the old drivers back.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Get Windows 10!  Then it will be mandatory :angry: (but there's an option to turn updates from third parties off).:smile:

Edit:  Since getting the latest version of Windows 10 (v1709), I cannot install any GPU updates from Nvidia.  If I try it will corrupt my system and use the Windows Display driver instead.  If I want to use Windows again, I must use system restore to get the old drivers back.

That is the exact reason that I stayed with Windows 7, don't like MS messing with my simulator or PC at update time. This is the first time I have seen windows messing with my display drivers, which surprised me. I will look over these updates carefully from now before I OK them. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310