Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Content errors?

I just fired up P3D V4 to check that the latest Win 7 update didn't kill it. While there, I decided to go through my options settings. There is one to display "Content error" that wasn't checked so, I checked it. When I shut down the sim, I was given the message that "Content Errors" had happened and the path to the "Content errors" log. Yes, there were errors!

What I'm wondering is what, if anything, I should do. The sim works great as far as I can tell and I'm fairly happy with what I've got going anyway. I can't see anything bad going on because of these errors.

Turn it off in your General settings.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

4 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Turn it off in your General settings.

Yeah, I know where to turn it off because that is where I turned it on. What I would like to know is if there is something I should be doing about those errors?

17 minutes ago, alhefner said:

What I would like to know is if there is something I should be doing about those errors

Depends who you talk to, 3rd party vendor will tell you to ignore them.  LM will tell you they're important and not to ignore them.  I'll tell you that some of the errors can be ignored, others should not be ignored.

In fact, some of the default P3D aircraft will trigger content errors, but technically most of the default P3D aircraft are actually from 3rd party vendors, sooo...

I personally would NOT ignore the Content Errors, I would go thru the file and look for anything that might be "significant" ... for example Aerosoft add the 32bit version of FSRecorder to your DLL.XML in their P3D V4 product installs ... this will show up in Content Errors log.

Also, having too many content errors (caps out at 999) can mask other real issues as they will not be reported once the 999 cap is reached.  Many of the content errors are a result of sloppy coding and based on the FSX version of the product that wasn't correctly updated to P3D V4 version.

This will be contested by 3rd party vendors but it's not a log I ignore in my question for fluid simulation with minimal issues.

Cheers, Rob.

Out of curiosity I enabled content reporting and had 2 errors multiple times.
[error.0] thru [error.40]
error=Taxiway path with 0 width
[error.41] thru [error.999]
error=Payload station indexes should be between 1 - Number of Stations

Nothing serious.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, bills511 said:

error=Payload station indexes should be between 1 - Number of Stations

There is a fix for this provided you don't need the use of payload stations, but not sure Pete D. (FSUPIC) wants me to share this as it's considered a "test option" (meaning use at your own risk and no support provided).  I'll have to contact Pete for approval or not.

21 hours ago, bills511 said:

[error.0] thru [error.40]
error=Taxiway path with 0 width

These are harmless and 3rd party airport vendor specific ... so long as you aren't hitting the error content log cap (999) entries then you can ignore.  

Like I suggest before, the only time "harmless" content errors become a problem is when there are so many that it triggers cap of entries so you may not be able to discover entries that do need to be corrected.

Cheers, Rob.

5 hours ago, alhefner said:

Yeah, I know where to turn it off because that is where I turned it on.

Just turn it off.  This has been discussed to death here on AVSIM.  For instance, I went in and made some fixes on Carenado aircraft and then, would you believe, Carenado updated their aircraft and wiped all of the corrections I had made.  If anyone is going to make any fixes, it should be the developer but good luck with that. Rob has one developer who might be helping fix these errors. Fortunately the errors do not affect your use of P3DV4 and, if they do, you are going to have to go to each individual developer and complain.  Sorry for such a short response above but, like I said, this has been discussed... since Lockheed added this feature in P3D.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10