Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Map View

Is there a way to move / enlarge the map view in X-Plane 11.1 more than the current default setting? (to see farther away from the aircraft current position)

Right now it only gives you aprox 100NM from the aircraft which is not a lot if you are looking down the road for approach info.  Also can the aircraft be slewed to a given place on the map?

Thanks,

Terry

The X-Plane map will only show the currently loaded scenery tile (and part of the adjacent ones? I'm not sure). You can't arbitrarily move the map too far away from your current position, because those areas aren't loaded in memory yet.

To get around this, you can use moving map add-ons outside X-Plane. I use the donation-ware Plan-G program. In addition to flight planning, it will link to X-Plane and show your current plane position while allowing free movement to check destination airports all over the world. 

You can slew your plane within the current X-Plane map view by clicking on the little plane icon to activate it, then drag it wherever you want. You can also change heading, altitude, and speed this way (be careful with speed changes). 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to not have to add additional programs to the sim. I am only running a i7 4790 with 16Gb and a GTX 980. Both of those are set at 50-75% slider settings to the right. Only 1080p video on a 40" Samsung TV. Low 30s fps with wx and 50-70 with no wx.

Maybe performance will improve when Mr Vulcan is written into the sim's code.

Thanks

Terry

Terry,

To add to what Paraffin mentioned. How about getting a cheaper monitor (19-24" or so)? Plug that monitor into your VGA port (integrated video) from the mother board.

That should help keep some of the load off of the GTX980.

Then install Plan-G or Little Nav Map and put one of those on that small monitor. Either one should work. Plan-G uses XPUIPC (separate small, free, program) and LittleNav Map uses a small program called LittleNav Connect to communicate with X-Plane. Important to read the "readme first" instructions with either one.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Chuck

Thanks for the ideas. I really hate to add stuff to the program that is not suppose to be there or it would have been part of the program already. Also trying to read stuff on small monitors would be too hard for me to do. If anything, I need to up my 40" Samsung TV for a 50-55" minimum. I only see out of one eye now and that one has a macular hole.

I have been playing with the DSR setting on the GTX 980 and it sure makes the video look nice but need a magnifying glass to see the small print. Prob just go back to the 1920 x 1080 mode and say that is good enough.

Terry

Terry,

Ok, I now understand the requirements. Not sure if Plan-g or LittleNav Map have font/screen data adjustments, maybe a note to the developers.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Yesterday I installed Plan G on a networked laptop and it is just fantastic! Highly  recommend is an understatement. Installation went pretty smoothly as well, but you do have to pay attention to what you're doing. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with Plan g. 

2 hours ago, NismoRR said:

Yesterday I installed Plan G on a networked laptop and it is just fantastic! Highly  recommend is an understatement. Installation went pretty smoothly as well, but you do have to pay attention to what you're doing. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with Plan g. 

I think the only drawback with Plan-G is the lack of SID/STAR support, which is important to some folks. For me, it's perfect as a moving map and flight planner for the kind of flying I do. A big feature for me is support for MEF (maximum elevation figure). It helps me plan bush plane flights in mountain areas, often into small strips with no published approaches. That's different from what airlines deal with.

I don't run it on a separate computer, although I might try that when the next household laptop gets retired. I just Alt-Tab between X-Plane and Plan-G on the same monitor.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I think the only drawback with Plan-G is the lack of SID/STAR support, which is important to some folks. For me, it's perfect as a moving map and flight planner for the kind of flying I do. A big feature for me is support for MEF (maximum elevation figure). It helps me plan bush plane flights in mountain areas, often into small strips with no published approaches. That's different from what airlines deal with.

I don't run it on a separate computer, although I might try that when the next household laptop gets retired. I just Alt-Tab between X-Plane and Plan-G on the same monitor.

I am a GA guy and Plan G definitely suits my needs. As far as networking, it was pretty easy. Just need XPUIPC on the XPlane computer and the XPUIPC client on the laptop. All you needed to do was set the proper IP addresses. The only small hiccup I had was building the database on the laptop. Though they are networked, Plan G didn't want  to cooperate. I installed Plan G on the xplane computer and built the database, then copied it to the laptop. The manual even suggests that as the more likely, easier way to get it done. Start Plan G, then the XPUIPC client on the laptop(which shows your connection status),  then load xplane. Once the plane was loaded in xplane, the yellow plane popped right up on the map on the laptop.