Sign in to follow this  
stormilm

OOM Issue

I just bought the Cheyenne III from PC Aviator this evening and really think it's a fine model overall. The only minor issue I've run into so far is that I am getting an Out Of Memory Error soon after the aircraft finishes loading at the beginning of a flight. This BTW is occurring with the full version and not the Lite version. The Lite version seems to run fine so far. I am running FSX Gold, Windows 7 X64, 16gb ram, i7-3770 3.40Ghz. 

FSX/P3d VAS issues have nothing to do with the pagefile, just let Windows manage it.

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

2 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

FSX/P3d VAS issues have nothing to do with the pagefile, just let Windows manage it.

Actually they can, if there is no Page File.  Some folks think because they have plenty of memory they can run without a PF... not so.  You're right, though, about letting Windows manage it.

Regards,

Greg

2 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

That's correct!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Yes, I have my page file set up and optimized. I run aircraft models from PMDG and many other high end Devs with fairly high end scenery and no VAS related OOM's. I also have the Carenado Citation II and Hawker and they run very well.  I ran a night flight using Taburet Night 3D Lights with the Lite model of the Cheyenne and while finishing the flight, I was getting the dreaded OOM warning chimes in final. There's an issue with this model with something eating up VAS at way too high a rate.

Disable the CMeteoXml.dll in the dll.xml.  I've never seen it cause an OOM before but it does cause Carenado aircraft to crash while loading.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Disable the CMeteoXml.dll in the dll.xml.  I've never seen it cause an OOM before but it does cause Carenado aircraft to crash while loading.

Took your suggestion and the HD version loaded quicker and smoother with higher FPS that before and no immediate OOM error but right after takeoff there was an OOM CTD. Bottom line, there is something seriously wrong with this model that causing this. The question is, what is or is it a combination of things. I'm wondering if the model even got adequate Beta testing from FSX Gold users as most users have gone to FSX-S or one form or another of P3D and this is a glaring issue. I did take note of the size of the models in the model folder of both the HD and Lite models and took note of how massive the files are for the HD version. I am wondering if that and a memory/VAS intensive gauge and textures are behind the issue? Hopefully soon they will get to the bottom of it. For now, the Lite model works okay for me overall. BTW Jim Young, by disabling the  CMeteoXml.dll , what functions did I lose by doing that? 

2 hours ago, stormilm said:

BTW Jim Young, by disabling the  CMeteoXml.dll , what functions did I lose by doing that? 

Someone said it is attributed to the weather radar.

2 hours ago, stormilm said:

but right after takeoff there was an OOM CTD. Bottom line, there is something seriously wrong with this model that causing this.

Sorry to hear you are still getting the OOM BUT how can it be attributed to the Cheyenne III?  You are the first, to my knowledge, to report this issue.  Microsoft just released an update to Windows 10 which fixes the latest version and that might fix it for you too.  If everyone, or even 10 people reported this problem, I would say it is a problem with the model but no one isn't (or no one bought it yet).  It is a popular release though and many individuals have purchased it.  OOM's are caused by running out of virtual address space (VAS) (in FSX) because of high settings.  Sometimes, other issues can help trigger this crash like messing around with the Page File (should be system managed) but that seems to be rare too.  Did you get the ntdll.dll or a StackHash as the faulting module?  I know everyone wants to blame Carenado but personally I have not had issues with them (except in P3DV4.0 which was attributed to an issue in P3Dv4 programming and it was fixed with V4.1).  The CMeteoXml.dll has been an issue in FSX for years and not sure why Carenado has not fixed that but it really is not needed.  When you installed the Cheyenne, did you right click the setup program and select run as administrator.  Do you have FSX set up to run as administrator by all users (go to FSX.exe, right click and select properties.  Select compatibility tab and look all the way down and click on Advanced and make sure it says ALL users.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm not running W10, I still have W7x64. Yes, I ran the installer in admin mode and run FSX the same way. As I've noted, I am running many other high end models with the settings I use and no OOM/VAS issues. It's this model. I have plenty of years behind me Beta testing for ALS Sim, Aerosoft, Milviz, it could be any number of things but unless someone from the Dev team can perform a VAS test under similar condition with the same OS and FSX Gold setup, it may end up being hard to track down. We saw this on a Lear Jet from another Dev and it was the VC lighting and other materials causing the high VAS consumption. Again, I take note of how massive the model files are in the Cheyenne, in the HD version the model file is 53.8mb and the vc model file is a whopping 188mb, the light model's external model is the same and vc model is 55.1mb. By comparison, the Hawker's HD model file is 37mb and vc file is 28.9mb (lite models are 37 and 9mb respectively). I also took a look at the model my Majestic (Dash 8 Pro and PMDG 737NGX) and those models are systems intensive and I have no issues with them having OOM's. My point on all the later mentioned is that those large model files in the Cheyenne are already eating up a massive amount of the max VAS allotment in the FSX Gold setup I am using. There still could be other issues but this certainly is one worth looking into.  

Carenao/Alabeo told me that the large mdl size is related to PBR. All Carenado/Alabeo planes which have been designed for PBR use have thos large mdls. E.g. the Hawker and PMDG 737 or non PBR models.

That makes sense now. I am using EZDOK (the original version) and noticed the PBR movement even with EZDOK cut off. I wish Carenado made non-PBR versions with smaller MDL's. I am sure that's part of the reason the VAS is maxing out too soon but I am still under the feeling there is more to this issue. I am going to uninstall and reinstall and see if it helps. Will report back tomorrow.

To no avail, uninstalled, reinstalled, issue still remains and is a deal killer for this model for me and unless they find a way to fix the issue (perhaps smaller non-PBR MDL's for FSX versions), I'm out nearly $40. 

I'd except that you can get a refund or a different non-PBR plane from Carenado without any problems in this case.

Not sure about the refund, I bought it through another vendor but it's worth checking. I hate to do it as I like the model but at this juncture, I will have no use of it for a while if ever