Sign in to follow this  
jimcarrel

Old dogs and New tricks

My world is upside down. I've spent 2 decades or more flying with joystick of some kind. Today I installed a yoke.

I feel totally disoriented. I took the default Beechcraft up and it took me 3 tries to get back on the ground and not run out of runway. To make matters worse, I kept trying to negotiate taxi ways via the steering wheel (those are prevalent in a race car). I'm sure that tomorrow I shall conquer the changeover, but the difference is so.....weird. Once I do get used to it, I think I'll install a joystick in my racing sim and try that.

• Upvote 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Oh Jim. 

Unless your one of those, yeah i will risk a ban, i will say it, AIRBUS DRIVERS, then what have you been doing flying with a joystick?

As the old jokes goes, 'Whats the difference between an Airbus pilot and a Boeing pilot'? A Boeing pilot has something between his legs.

Welcome to the fraternity brother.

• Upvote 3

I've always flown jets and copters in my flight sim travels since '89, (didn't need a yoke) that was before MFS 5. Back then I used a funky little stick made by Logitech (I think), about 2 1/2 inches square with a 1 1/2 stick protruding out the top. Later used that thing to build my own rudder pedals. Early '90's I discovered driving sims, managed to buy a wheel (still didn't need a yoke).

Now since I fell in love with the q400, I got a wild hair to get a yoke. Hence my new learning curve, not to mention that I dislike the logitech saitek (what's up with that?) hat on the left hand side.

So I installed my track ir thats been laying dormant for a few years. That solved the problem with the left-hand hat and gave me room to fix my chaseplane view problems since switching to a yoke, I kept the warthog throttle hooked up, that was really helpful.  I use the 3 lever thingy that came with the yoke, which isn't too bad and that left all kinds of buttons on the warthog throttle.

Only two more hurdles to solve. Whats involved in swapping back in my warthog stick (for DCS jets and copters) and re-figuring setup for the q400.

Life is fun.

* must admit, I did try the early version of Aerosoft (or somebody) Airbus, never could get the thing to fly... they had horrible joystick setup routine. Other than that, not an AirBus driver.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I was thinking doing same but I am afraid so....LOL. Just not sure about pedals....

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

You really MUST look into FSUIPC to control all your devices. I have a CH Yoke, CH Rudders, CH Throttle Quadrant and a Saitek X-55 Rhino system all connected to my system. After setting up FSUIPC profiles all I do is pick which a/c I want to fly and the respective devices are properly mapped and I fly.

Takes a little time to set it up but once done, you'll never go back and adding new a/c is a snap.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

20 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

Once I do get used to it, I think I'll install a joystick in my racing sim and try that.

No doubt you'll get the hang of flying with the yoke.  Do keep us informed how that racing with a joystick works out! :biggrin:

Greg

2 hours ago, lownslo said:

No doubt you'll get the hang of flying with the yoke.  Do keep us informed how that racing with a joystick works out! :biggrin:

Greg

Well, I probably wont really do that. I think it was '90 or '91, Somebody published a formula 1 racing game and that was what intro'd me into racing programs and I did use that little stick for that...and it was uncomfortable, didn't do a thing for that old phrase "suspension of dis-belief".

The yoke flying is getting better. Took out the AS twotter for a few circuits and found myself being able to hold altitude better (especially in a turn) and it took just one try to get it back on the ground.

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

You really MUST look into FSUIPC to control all your devices. I have a CH Yoke, CH Rudders, CH Throttle Quadrant and a Saitek X-55 Rhino system all connected to my system. After setting up FSUIPC profiles all I do is pick which a/c I want to fly and the respective devices are properly mapped and I fly.

Takes a little time to set it up but once done, you'll never go back and adding new a/c is a snap.

Vic

I've been meaning to do this for years, but, alas it has never come to pass. I've kept up with the paid version for years,but the only thing I ever did with it, was set the battery to not discharge while setting on the ramp and turning off autosave. It's always completed those tasks flawlessly. That would for sure fix the problem of making sure my stick ID's were consistently correct to match up with DCS.

Jim - 

Look for the tutorial by Sim Samurai - Pete has it on his site. Just follow the steps and read the additional documentation by Pete regarding using profiles.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for that info Vic! I was watching Perry Mason last night and started thinking about where I would start researching FSUIPC. Makes sense that I might look at Pete's site.

I'll never forget the looks I got from my fellow competitors when I pulled out my CH Flight Stick (with the rudder pedals) for a two day lan NASCAR stock car race event in Sacramento, Ca. back in the early 2000's. Most everyone in the filled conference room had $600 to $1200 dollar wheels ....and I pulled out the above mentioned.  Oh, did I ever hear about it ...especially after winning the event. The prize? a $600 wheel + other goodies. :-)

.......Oh, and I did learn to use the wheel (still have it) ....took some time, though

Way back when... is nice to remember when one was so inventive, (if like me) not so much now. Something must have changed.

To the point of this topic:

I did buy a nice Saitek yoke system two or three years ago. I used it for about 5 minutes, it has since been stored in my garage along with my TSW racing wheel (retired from racing about 10 years now). 

Joy stick is king in this house.

• Upvote 1