Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Intel Thermal Qualities

56 minutes ago, Dougal said:

I'd love to go with rigid, but I've no practice with it (yet).

I still have some compression fittings for soft tubing, so for now I'll go with that.  Then I'll get some pipe bending practice in;-)

Not going with the 420mm as its just too tight:-(  Ordering the stuff today;-)

Ha, nice one. I'm excited to see how it progresses. Mind telling me the cost? 

26 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Some will probably question my logic of adding a custom loop to my current setup when, for a similar cost, I could probably get the same or similar net gains from actual hardware upgrades instead of obtaining higher overclocks with the current kit.

Not as much much fun tho eh;-)

Yep, I can relate to that. I've said many times, I don't need the cooling provided by a custom loop, so if I ever did it it would be for fun. 

360mm EK EX Rad, EK D5 140 pump/res combo, EK EVO CPU block, 3x120mm Vardar fans, 6 compression fittings, 3mtr 3/8 x 5/8 tube, Biocide.  £363.37 Inc vat & carriage.

I forgot to order a drain valve so won't be fitting it tmrw unless I can find one:(

Scan PC were cheapest of 6 different retailers by about £30

Not a bad price. And considering I have 400 quid to spend on something, so tempting.

I avoid Scan these days, after an RMA experience with them. Wasn't impressed. 

10 hours ago, Dougal said:

I think my fav case ever, has to the original mk1 CS Stacker.  I loved it!

Ah yes a Stacker!  Friend of mine had one of those.  I think he ran 3-4 sets of hw thru it at least.  Do you still have yours?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

59 minutes ago, Mace said:

Ah yes a Stacker!  Friend of mine had one of those.  I think he ran 3-4 sets of hw thru it at least.  Do you still have yours?

I don't no. We moved to a much smaller house and, although it was on wheels, there just wasnt room for it. What's really sad, is that I ended up taking it to the tip! Tried selling it, but couldn't even give it away on Freecycle:(

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Not a bad price. And considering I have 400 quid to spend on something, so tempting.

I avoid Scan these days, after an RMA experience with them. Wasn't impressed. 

Yehhhhh go for it Martin. We'll compare notes;)

14 hours ago, Dougal said:

Yehhhhh go for it Martin. We'll compare notes;)

It might happen. Deciding now. Would require either a new case or mods to my case. Found out last night that I couldn't put a rad at the front. Not enough room with the fans as well. It would be a super thin rad. There's loads of room in the top chamber but Lian li, in their "wisdom", decided to only proved fan holes for a 240 rad. I would need to mod it to take a 360. Once done it could be as thick as you like.

I would also need to either build a PSU shroud at the bottom to support a horizontally mounted tube res, or a small horizontally mounted tube res in place of the middle fan of the three at the front. That way it would avoid the graphics card.

So yes, doable in my case with mods. Or buy a new one. Cost would be above my 400 quid of course by a long way, but what is life for other than to have fun.  

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

It might happen. Deciding now. Would require either a new case or mods to my case. Found out last night that I couldn't put a rad at the front. Not enough room with the fans as well. It would be a super thin rad. There's loads of room in the top chamber but Lian li, in their "wisdom", decided to only proved fan holes for a 240 rad. I would need to mod it to take a 360. Once done it could be as thick as you like.

I would also need to either build a PSU shroud at the bottom to support a horizontally mounted tube res, or a small horizontally mounted tube res in place of the middle fan of the three at the front. That way it would avoid the graphics card.

So yes, doable in my case with mods. Or buy a new one. Cost would be above my 400 quid of course by a long way, but what is life for other than to have fun.  

That would be all part of the fun though wouldn't it - the case mod I mean.  I love doing stuff like that.  I once got myself into real deep shite by 'modding' my weapon on my first Afgan tour;-)

4 hours ago, Dougal said:

That would be all part of the fun though wouldn't it - the case mod I mean.  I love doing stuff like that.  I once got myself into real deep shite by 'modding' my weapon on my first Afgan tour;-)

Haha, was that the SA80/L85? You must tell me how you modified it? Not a bad weapon. Didn't Heckler and Koch improve it? I recall it was dodgy before.

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

Haha, was that the SA80/L85? You must tell me how you modified it? Not a bad weapon. Didn't Heckler and Koch improve it? I recall it was dodgy before.

It was a variation of the Diemaco C8. A tale for another time;)

I've just fished (2:30am) running some temp tests after putting in the water loop. Impressive! I haven't yet pushed it past 4.8ghz, as that's where I was at when running the last benchmarks with both the Noctua cooler, and the H115i AIO, so I wanted to be able to compare apples to apples so to speak. So far, the core temps haven't got past 63c. I'm not using AIDA64 but Cinebench and Real bench.  That way I can test using adaptive vcore too.

I forgot to order a couple of bits. Namely, a drain valve and the mounting bracket for the pump/res combo, so it's still very much a work in progress.  I'm megga impressed the quality of all the EK kit, from the block and rad, right down to the comp fittings.

12 hours ago, Dougal said:

It was a variation of the Diemaco C8. A tale for another time;)

I've just fished (2:30am) running some temp tests after putting in the water loop. Impressive! I haven't yet pushed it past 4.8ghz, as that's where I was at when running the last benchmarks with both the Noctua cooler, and the H115i AIO, so I wanted to be able to compare apples to apples so to speak. So far, the core temps haven't got past 63c. I'm not using AIDA64 but Cinebench and Real bench.  That way I can test using adaptive vcore too.

I forgot to order a couple of bits. Namely, a drain valve and the mounting bracket for the pump/res combo, so it's still very much a work in progress.  I'm megga impressed the quality of all the EK kit, from the block and rad, right down to the comp fittings.

Roger that re Diemaco. ;)

63C at 4.8 GHz! Very nice indeed. 

Cant recall where you were with the Noctua at 4.8. Wasnt it 80+. 

Are the Vardar fans okay for noise? 

Photo? Interested to see how you have it set up. 

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Roger that re Diemaco. ;)

63C at 4.8 GHz! Very nice indeed. 

Cant recall where you were with the Noctua at 4.8. Wasnt it 80+. 

Are the Vardar fans okay for noise? 

Photo? Interested to see how you have it set up. 

I don't think the Vardar fans are as quiet as the Noctuas, but they where 140mm.  The Vardar fans here are 120mm. And of course there's three, not two:-(  I have got them slowed right down in the BIOS.

Will try to get some pics up, but not sure how to do that now...

======================================================

I THINK I've got this right:

i7 7700k Testing on Asus Z170 Chipset

Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler (with dual fans)   vs   Full Custom Water Loop

Stock 4.2GHz with 4.5GHz Turbo Boost  (vcore at Auto)

Noctua DH-15 Air Cooler:     vs    Custom Water Loop Cooling:

cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3         cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3

Idle min temps:                       26c      27c      25c      25c            20c       22c       19c       20c
IntelBurnTest load temps:     68c      84c      68c      77c            54c       69c       55c       63c
CiniBench max temps:           61c      60c      57c      69c            49c       49c       47c       57c

========================================================================

Overclock @ 4.8 GHz with XMP (Adaptive vcore)

cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3         cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3

Idle min temps:                    26c       27c       24c       25c           20c       22c       19c       20c
IntelBurnTest load temps:    67c       77c       64c       70c           48c       60c       49c       55c
CiniBench max temps:         57c       58c       55c       65c           45c       46c       43c       53c

========================================================================

Overclock @ 4.9 GHz – vcore: 1.345v (Manual OC no XMP)

cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3         cpu0    cpu1    cpu2    cpu3

Idle min temps:                     22c      23c       21c      22c            23c       25c       22c       23c
IntelBurnTest load temps:     53c      69c       56c      67c            56c       72c       58c       66c
CiniBench max temps:          53c      54c        51c     64c            56c       57c       54c       66c

=======================================================================

The CPU is delidded which made a BIG difference!

On 17/12/2017 at 2:46 AM, Dougal said:

One thing to mention though. Something which often fools people. Any water cooling loop, and that includes AIO's, takes a while to heat up to full temp. It can take as long as 30 - 40 minutes for the loop to reach full temp. So strictly speaking any test on a water cooling loop should be conducted for at least 40 minutes before results are recorded.

The other point is ambient temp. Should be recorded for both coolers.

The D15 results at 4.9 you may have got mixed up, as they seem to be lower temps than 4.8. Great result though, very impressive.