Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonPBX

Question about RAM memory (8th generation)

Good afternoon folks,

I have a small doubt about RAM memory.

I am planning to upgrade my PC by the end of this month, so I'd bemoving from a 4770K (never overclocked) to an 8700K which I plan to overclock using a Corsair H100i v2. The mobo would be most likely an ASUS Maximus X Hero (WiFi).

My real doubt comes to the RAM memory: I was thinking about the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz, CL15 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C15), but its description reads "Designed for high-performance overclocking on Intel 100 Series motherboards", while the 8th-Gen Maximus X Hero belongs to the 300 Series. Would I possibly have compatibility issues or is that information merely advisory?

Lastly, would these memory sticks do the trick? I do want a decent set (which I think this one is), but don't expect to purchase a top of the line one as it'd exceed my budget. I chose Corsair and this model in particular because it's one of the very few that are available at physical stores in my country. I don't really want to import them as it'd take longer and in case of a return it'd become a pain in the neck. Do you guys think this set is okay for my setup? I want to do a "moderate" overclock and go as far as my cooling and the processor itself allow, as I don't want to fry a brand-new 8700K. Thanks in advance!

For the record, the link to the product is http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3200mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3200c15

Regards,

Jhon

As far as ASUS boards go -- and I've built in a bunch of them -- I can relate how I approach things.  After a bad experience, I always get mem sticks that are on the QVL for the motherboard i'm using.  Asus is today pretty good about releasing a QVL (Qualified Vendor List) showing verified tested mem and the clock with their motherboards.

15-20 years ago it was the opposite -- they had a QVL, but it was not updated very often and would have slower, older, more pedestrian ram sticks on it.   A person was often better off with new sticks that never made it on their QVL.  After once buying expensive memory that wouldn't overclock at all with the board I had, I decided that would never happen again to me.

My advice is to check the QVL for that board, and go with one of the mem kits listed there.  That may sound conservative, but....heh, I guess it is.  I'm going to check out that board right now...see if i can find its QVL

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hello Rhett,

Thank you for the info! I wasn't aware of the QVL. December 11's update seems to be for 2133MHz kits only. However, the first one (September 25's) includes them all, and the kit I am aiming towards is on the list, so I would be okay to go!

Regards,

Jhon

On 12/13/2017 at 8:03 AM, martin-w said:

If GSkill Ripjaw V or Trident Z is on the list, highly recommended. 

Agreed!  Trident Z is solid mem 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yes. Trident Z worked as advertised for me.

I got a set of 3200.

In other news...

I just finished building my new computer. A long and tedious job and I've only got Windows installed and am tweaking the overclock/ running stress tests and benchmarks.

However, it has been really trouble free. Not a single BSOD or crash.

Here's the basics (I'll post my experience tomorrow with more details):

• Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
  • Intel i7-8700K
  • Corsair H100i V2
  • Trident Z DDR4 3200
  • EGVA GTX 1080Ti 
  • Fractal Design Define R5

I used the 5 step auto overclock thing using AI Suite 3. Basically, I've got a few cores at 5.0 and the rest at 4.7, no sweat.

The only problem was the temps were a little too much (>90 at times) under stress. I turned off Hyper-threading and will try some more test. I've heard HT adds about 10 C.

Yeah, I spent a bundle. You only live once and all that.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Great news! Glad it's all working okay. Great system you have there.

I usually manually overclock, but  Five Way Optimisation works great for me too, so didn't bother to manually OC for my current build. 

The only problem was the temps were a little too much (>90 at times) under stress. I turned off Hyper-threading and will try some more test. I've heard HT adds about 10 C.

Delidding will knock the temp down 15 degrees or more, if ever you have the urge. Yes, 10 degrees is the penalty for HT on.

15 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Yes. Trident Z worked as advertised for me.

I got a set of 3200.

In other news...

I just finished building my new computer. A long and tedious job and I've only got Windows installed and am tweaking the overclock/ running stress tests and benchmarks.

However, it has been really trouble free. Not a single BSOD or crash.

• Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
  • Intel i7-8700K
  • Corsair H100i V2
  • Trident Z DDR4 3200
  • EGVA GTX 1080Ti 
  • Fractal Design Define R5

How much trident Z are you running?  8 / 16 or 32 gigs?   2 sticks with your overclock?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

As someone else said, check the QVL. As long as your RAM is on the list you should be good to go. Another thing is that because it's on the list, there will be an XMP profile available which will give you the rated speeds.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, Mace said:

How much trident Z are you running?  8 / 16 or 32 gigs?   2 sticks with your overclock?

4 sticks X 8 Gb

Trying to somewhat future proof this gizmo.

So far, it is awesome. Also, it takes a really long time to uninstall from old and install into new. Just now installing Orbx stuff.

Looks like I'll be waiting another day or so for my report post.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS