Sign in to follow this  
Kevlar01

Issues With Latest Windows Update (12/12/17)?

Anyone else had some weird issues pop up after installing one the MS Patch Tuesday updates today?  More specifically "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)".  After Windows did its thing this evening I noticed that some of my sim apps were suddenly acting up; for example UTLive would crash after 10-15 seconds, and FTX Central wouldn't launch at all.  However some apps that share the same drive were working just fine (PMDG Ops Center, ChasePlane, FB Mgr, etc.) so it wasn't like it killed everything.  And I know all of this stuff was working fine yesterday.

Looking through the update history the one above seemed a likely candidate, and sure enough after I backed it out everything seemed to go back to normal.  Could just be something with my installation, although there's nothing particularly unique about it as far as I know.  That's why I was wondering if anyone else had observed something similar today, because of course Windows is going to keep pestering me to install it until I do.  Wish we still had the option to Hide these things when necessary!!

Cheers, Kevin  

Kevin S

6 hours ago, Kevlar01 said:

Wish we still had the option to Hide these things when necessary!

You can: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo. Although it says "temporarily" in the title, it should stop the re-download until you uncheck it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

This particular Cumulative Update (KB4054517) does appear to fix/resolve the "Child Window" problem afflicting many (most?) P3Dv3.x and FSX users, since October. Thus, this update is rather compulsory and has to be installed if you are running 32-bit versions of these sim's.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

did the update yesterday and no trouble for me using FTX Central or UTLive. There was another previous update that took some of our "run as administrator" program settings out, but it was just a matter of rechecking the boxes.

Be sure to check your motherboard bios is up to date especially if you are overclocking.

Also recheck that your OC is stable, I had to drop mine from 4.6 to 4.5 to made it stable with 1709, they must have changed something that hit the CPU harder or different.

Simbol 

Okay thanks for the replies, Gents!  My system was working absolutely fine too up until the latest patch, but since no one else is seeing this issue it does appear to be something specific to my setup.  At least now I know.  Maybe it was just a corrupted or incomplete update.  I'll have to try again when I have a moment.

Vortex681 - Thanks for that heads-up on the tool; wasn't aware it was even available.  Figures...now we have to download, install and run a special tool to do something that could be done with a single mouse click in previous versions of Windows...that's progress!? 

Cheers all! 

Kevin S

No issues here...updated last night, flying all day...stable and smooth. :biggrin:

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

No issues here. I rolled back to 1703 and turned off all updates. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi All,

1709 Build of Windows 10 prevented UT2 from working and each time I started P3D I was facing the much dreaded UT2 red stop sign.

Only way to fix it was rolling back to 1703 build. But I don't know for how long I will keep this build as I have a home edition and cannot turn off windows update :(

Fouad Chakib

18 hours ago, nizar_AF said:

But I don't know for how long I will keep this build as I have a home edition and cannot turn off windows update :(

Just set your Network connection to "Metered" (connection with datalimit) and WIndows10 (incl. Home)  will never automatically download&install updates.
Not even for WindowsDefender (if you have that active as Antivirus); but you can update that manually, without initiating other updates.

Rob

IIRC, this is what I did:

To disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates:

1. Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services
  2. Scroll down to Windows Update in the resulting list
  3. Double click the Windows Update Entry
  4. In the resulting dialog, if the service is started, click 'Stop'
  5. Set Startup Type to Disabled

Please Note: if you disable Windows 10 Updates, your system may be at risk from attack

1. Windows Defender will not be updated (meh)
  2. Operating System patches will not be applied (oh my)
  3. You will not be able to use the Windows Store (No loss here)
  4. Windows Apps will not update and possibly fail (I'll risk it)

On the plus side your sim will continue to work!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

No applying security updates is very risky, I would strongly recommend that nobody disable windows updates.

This is why the WannaCry virus was so devastating, and there are new variants and viruses like this created every day!

Simbol 

Thank you guys for your advices. I am well aware that not updating windows may put my PC at risk but it's a risk I'm willing to take for now hoping that I may find what component keeps preventing UT2 from working properly. As my computer is dedicated to flightsiming the only apps that use the internet connection are the ones used for flight simulation (P3D, Active sky, chaseplane...etc) so as long as they are not targeted by malware I'm betting that I'm not taking a big risk here.

Fouad Chakib

So I had no issues with the update thus far, however it seems Windows ran the Malicious Software Removal tool overnight.

Seems like I can't launch ASP3DV4 anymore lol.

Anyone else experienced this?

1 hour ago, Masllasy said:

I don' t have any experience for it , Windows 10 is an invisible bomb, Updating Windows 10 is a disaster , it has so many problems that you can not access your computer properly ....

You can get some solutions from Youtube

Mate,

Thanks but this post was last year lol.