Sign in to follow this  
tecto

best settings for P3D v4

1 hour ago, tecto said:

Thank you all, basing on your posts it's really better now. Thanks!

I also bought ENVTEX yesterday and it looks stunning now!

Great happy for you.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Read your “claim” again Bert.

You was talking about 9 not 10 and they are talking about the difference between 9 and 10

10 is for 12GB gtx cards only 

You was talking about adding 9 and 9 as I said was the same as simply ticking “high res terrain “

Its no wonder why new people can get so confused with "statements" like this.

------

That's why in that "statement" is says  " in combination with enabling high resolution terrain textures " because it giving you so much more on top of ticking high resolution terrain ( TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9), ...

That is clear as mud... sorry.

"In combination" means to me that both options are chosen, not that =10 is selected in place of =9.   There are two lines in the config file, one for size_exp and one for terrain textures..  Something is still not fully explained.

Hopefully the LM guys will clarify.. :huh:

Bert

Guys could you please point me to a setting related with textures loading time?

Sometimes textures are still loading too slow during flight - which setting should I decrease?

14 minutes ago, tecto said:

Sometimes textures are still loading too slow during flight - which setting should I decrease?

What settings did you end up choosing?

And:   Have you considered overclocking your CPU?

Bert

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is clear as mud... sorry.

"In combination" means to me that both options are chosen, not that =10 is selected in place of =9.   There are two lines in the config file, one for size_exp and one for terrain textures..  Something is still not fully explained.

Hopefully the LM guys will clarify.. :huh:

Why dont you read/quote the rest of the the reply not just a bit?

Ticking "high resolution terrain" is the same as adding in you config file under [TERRAIN] the line TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 this extends the LOD (level of detail) further out than the normal amount, so you see more detail further out from your aircraft. 

If you have a 12GB gtx card you can manually add under [TERRAIN] TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 this then gives you the maximum LOD within the sim, quadrupling your LOD radius from the normal amount. It will make your load times increase a lot as it's now loading so much more LOD and needs around 10-12GB of GPU ram.

That's why in that "statement" is says  " in combination with enabling high resolution terrain textures " because it giving you so much more on top of ticking high resolution terrain ( TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9), Do not try this unless you have a 12GB GPU.

So to conclude 

"high resolution terrain" ticked =  doubles your LOD range < Just like 9 does as you know it ADDS to the normal about of LOD

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 = quadruple your LOD range < This is the new MAX setting that ADDS more than the above LOD

I added bits in bold to help you to understand?

You Quoted LM on it, so why do you need LM to clarify? its not hard to understand!

You say "In combination" means to me that both options are chosen" 

Lets try putting them into LOD values (made up but to help you look at it differently) lets say the basic value =4.5

LOD 6.5 = high resolution terrain or [TERRAIN] TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9. <There the same now you have great LOD range.

Now lets go to say LOD 8.5  does that mean you adding 6.5 and 8.5? on top? NO 8.5 over wrights 6.5 does it not? 

I you think "In combination" means to me that both options are chosen" 

You would not have [TERRAIN] TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and [TERRAIN] TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 would you? you dont add both to you config, you add one. One replacers the other.

"In combination" means working with.........like 6.5 +2 = 8.5

Its really is that easy. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David, you may well be right... but it sure is confusing that there are two separate lines in the prepar3d.cfg file, one for the Size_Exp setting and one for the HiRez terrain textures setting..

If these two are in fact the same thing, is this simply sloppiness.. could be..  :cool:

I guess you are saying that the HiRez setting will be ignored if a Size_Exp setting is present.. is that it?

Bert

1 hour ago, tecto said:

Did you try locking your FPS within P3d because that setting gives the sim more CPU time to load texture unlike FPS unlimited.

Thats your starting point, Vic here has a great PC but only runs with 20 FPS locked. Turn your setting down >we can come back to this in more detail.

But start with the above and report how your loading is then?

I can explain in far more detail but let's start at the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

David, you may well be right... but it sure is confusing that there are two separate lines in the prepar3d.cfg file, one for the Size_Exp setting and one for the HiRez terrain textures setting..

If these two are in fact the same thing, is this simply sloppiness.. could be..  :cool:

I guess you are saying that the HiRez setting will be ignored if a Size_Exp setting is present.. is that it?

Bert, 

I believe that Hi res texture have been shown to be the same as Size_Exp=9, why the two are the same I have no idea and yes, why have both?

Size_Exp=10 you add instead of Size_Exp=9 because it a greater value. This setting is best to think of simply as the LOD max setting over the two above that are the same.

Ok I will try to lock my FPS and consider overclocking.

One more quick question. I have my screen at resolution of 1920x1050 so does it make sense to have textures resolution set to 4096x4096 or even 2048x2048?

Shouldn't this be set below (or approx. equal) to my screen resolution?

4 minutes ago, tecto said:

Shouldn't this be set below (or approx. equal) to my screen resolution?

No - they are not really related. One refers to screen resolution and the other to texture size. You can have your screen set to 1080x720 and use 4096 textures.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Bert, 

I believe that Hi res texture have been shown to be the same as Size_Exp=9, why the two are the same I have no idea and yes, why have both?

Size_Exp=10 you add instead of Size_Exp=9 because it a greater value. This setting is best to think of simply as the LOD max setting over the two above that are the same.

OK, I agree after testing each of the settings.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=127871&p=172218#p172218

I guess the LM team found =9 to be useful enough that they added the setting in the UI.  :cool:

Bert

On 12/14/2017 at 1:15 AM, Nyxx said:

(...)

use 4x SSAA and 4xMSAA when you use DL

(...)

Do you mean Dynamic Lighting by DL?

51 minutes ago, tecto said:

Do you mean Dynamic Lighting by DL?

Yes for night time

Thanks, do you know what should be the mesh resolution either for FreeMeshX and FS Global 2018 FTX ? 

Another thing - is there a big difference between 4096x4096 and 2048x2048 textures? Is it noticeable or the difference is negligible?

I'm asking because currently I'm on a trip and have no sim in my hands.

I don't use any addon mesh, but 10 or 5 should work well.

I bought the GLJ Model 25 last week and that has 4096x4096 textures and yes, if it's been made with them you can tell. But generally 2048 is fine. 

A hi def airport is normally 2048 and they look very sharp to 1024.

There is no hard in setting 4096 these days so why not! :cool: