Sign in to follow this  
EmpireKicking

Freeware Scenery! Looking for the best!

Anyone know any good freeware scenery and graphics to improve the gaming world without the need to spend allot of money on Orbx.

Aware that there are allot of free stuff but it has to be good for the game

57 minutes ago, EmpireKicking said:

Anyone know any good freeware scenery and graphics to improve the gaming world without the need to spend allot of money on Orbx.

Be more specific of what you want!  Airports, (which ones) Cities, Which ones?  Areas of the world?  Are your intentions to fly low and slow (ORBX is good for this) or High flying tubeliners ( where photoreal scenery will do a better job of twisting your turnips).  Keep in mind that ORBX does offer freeware stuff!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Mostly Europe, The major city's and nice locations! 

10 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Keep in mind that ORBX does offer freeware stuff!

I'm aware of the freewares that they offer however they all required the base pack if you read the details.

ORBX Global base is on offer until end of December and I think it does represent good value as its terrain textures and autogen cover the entire Earth but if you only fly a single region then F1 Ground Environment X works out a bit cheaper. FreeMeshX (which is free as the name implies) covers most of the globe in 38-72m terrain mesh.

The above is enough for a core scenery upgrade and would be under €35, then you can just pop freeware airports on top.

If you want a little more accuracy to your European cities then ORBX OpenLC EU (landclass only) or F1 Ultimate Terrain Europe (landclass, roads, rivers and coastlines) would be a good idea. You can get some free "area" sceneries like NL2000 and UK Power Project but they are rather rare.

http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html and http://www.freewarescenery.com/maps/scenerymap.php?region=WEU&sim=FSX is still updated and most useful for finding free scenery.

• Upvote 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

2 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

Ray Smith.

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Just now, Bluestar said:

Ray Smith.

blaustern

++1 for Ray Smith.

I would also suggest looking at stuff from Patrick Finch, Dan French, Shez Ansari, Don Grovestine, and Kai Kamjunke.

I apologize to others whose scenery I use, but whose names I didn't include.  I'm not at my flight sim computer to give a more complete list.

Ernie  

Ernest Pergrem

+1 for Freemesh X and Ray Smith. Freemesh X gives you the hills and valleys which bear far closer resemblance to the actual topography than FSX - you may be able to recognise some landmarks (pun intended) even with default landclass textures.

What you may want to do is decide on where you'd like to fly to , then surf the net for freeware scenery and airports in that area. For example:

I was doing a couple of flights in Puerto Rico (sim not real lol!) and whilst looking at available freeware airfields I discovered a lovely little freeware rendition of Adjuntas/Rullan airfield (PR20). Challenging 1600 feet of tarmac on top of a hill. This is by PhotoRico who produce payware scenery.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Blue Sky Scenery for photo real in the western US. They haven't added any more in a long time not sure if Gottfried is still up and running, the site is up though. BlueskyScenery,com

Ken Heibel

I do not know. I've not looked at or used FTX Global sorry. 

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

@ckyliu @HighBypass @khiball  I been in deep thinking and looking at getting the FTX Global, It's on sale at £34.00 So from 0 to 100% would you recommended it to me 

60%.  I say that because FTX Global, by itself is a somewhat incomplete product.  It will, IMHO improve the look of your sim, but you'll still be left wanting.

At the very least you need to add Landclass for NA, SA, or Europe.   

Then the addition of either a good vector program for roads and accurate shorlines, whether it be FTX Vector or UTX.

• Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

I would certainly recommend Shez Ansari if you are looking for fairly large airports. 

• Upvote 1

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Well, things been good. I had another guy that went with freemashX (his choice) and it turns out that it's not simple to install and it was large.

I went with orbx :) On sale and love every secound! just got to improve the glitches, still running DX9 since it's like another $20 for the DX10 fixer unless there is an other option 

14 minutes ago, EmpireKicking said:

Well, things been good. I had another guy that went with freemashX (his choice) and it turns out that it's not simple to install and it was large.

I went with orbx :) On sale and love every secound! just got to improve the glitches, still running DX9 since it's like another $20 for the DX10 fixer unless there is an other option 

Not if you want to run in DX10 mode. Simply to much hassle and fiddling around to get 10 to work without steve's Fixer.

It's worth the $20. I never go back to DX9 now - it looks truly awful in comparison.

The fixer also optimises memory usage and processes - you should get a smoother sim, faster frames, etc

Go on, finish the job - you've bought the scenery - for an extra $20 now make it sparkle.