Sign in to follow this  
orbmis

C90GTX Engines Question

Hello,, wondering if someone can help me on this. During pre-flight prep, I've got both engines at N1 up in the 70s. After takeoff, while climbing, the N1 starts to drop rapidly, and it feels like I'm losing power. My altitude starts dropping, and things start slipping away.

I'm sure I'm missing something with the engine configuration, but looking thru the Carenado docs, I'm not finding anything, nor where my mistake might be. Thoughts? Ideas?

Are there are good startup/flight checklists out there for the GTX? I've located one for the C90B, but not certain if it applies.

Any help surely appreciated. 

Mike

I believe Carenado may have modeled "Engine Failure" into this aircraft. In other words, if you push the engines too hard you will experience a failure (loss of power). That's happened to me several times. Not sure if this is the case with your situation. Maybe so??

Have you checked during climb that you are staying at or below the applicable torque limit? Looks like you are overtorqueing the engines.

Btw, pre-flight means engines are off.

Hi all, 

well, I tried a couple things, and results are much better. First, of all, I was missing setting the pitot heater on, so icing surely may have been part of the problem. Secondly, I kept a closer eye on the torque as I was in climbing mode, which I hadn’t even given any thought to previously.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It has become evident indeed to better understand the details of getting this aircraft to operate at peak efficiency.

Mike

The included documents give you the basics under "Normal Procedures". On most King Airs, during the line up check, the following "hot" five come on and remain on for the duration of flight:

L/R Pitot Heat

Stall warning

L/R Fuel Vent

Low temps and prior to entering clouds/moisture, turn on your WINDSHIELD HEAT, ENG ANTI-ICE and if needed Prop De-Ice.