Sign in to follow this  
Raptorman123

Upgrade 530W from V1 to V2

Hi all

Apologies if this was asked before but I could not find anything on this topic.  I am a real world Private IFR Pilot and am happily using V1 of the 530W software with an Emuteq in FSX (running Windows 7 Pro) and am considering upgrading to V2 (for practicing approaches).  I have a few questions, I was hoping someone could help me with.

• do you need to uninstall V1 first or can (V1 and V2)  run together
  • what about the panel mods I had to make in V1.  Do these carry forward to V2 or do I need to revert to the original panels and then go from there with V2 as a new panel update
  • are there very good reasons to upgrade if V1 is working fine
  • are there any issues upgrading - as I don't want to cause issues by upgrading to V2, but happy to if it's relatively seamless as I am keen to have the latest version.
  • does V2 happily work with the Emuteq and are the installation procedures essentially the same as they were with V1

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Thanks to the developers for continuing to support the product.

Anton

26 minutes ago, Raptorman123 said:

do you need to uninstall V1 first or can (V1 and V2)  run together

No need to uninstall. You may continue to run v1 (commonly referred to as "legacy") in some aircraft and v2 in others until you complete an overall transition.  I personally recommend that you do not attempt to intermix v1 and v2 in a single aircraft.

what about the panel mods I had to make in V1.  Do these carry forward to V2 or do I need to revert to the original panels

Your mods will need to be edited.  The gauge sizes are the same or very close but the naming convention changed.  For instance v1 naming fo for the GNS530 1 was "rxpGNS!GNS530".  The naming for v2 is "rxpGNS2!GNS_530_1".  I simply edited many of my panel.cfg files, which helped me keep the positions of my 2D popup gauges, but Reality XP provides a flight sim addon (sim Add-ons menu) that helps with replacing previous gauges and positioning popups.  There is a learning curve, so expect some transition time.

are there very good reasons to upgrade if V1 is working fine

You get two gauges of each you buy, 430 and or 530, a feature that with v1 was only available at additional cost. Also included is Crossfill between units if you have two installed in a particular aircraft. That allows units to share the active flight plan and allows you to access various capabilities in regard to the flight in each of the two units.   Higher resolution. Ability to import flight plans from compliant flight planning sites and flight planning programs.  Updated nav databases (though not current to today as Garmin no longer uses a common database format for GNS and GTN and they no longer market GNS gauges). And newfound superior support.

are there any issues upgrading - as I don't want to cause issues by upgrading to V2, but happy to if it's relatively

For me it has only been reconfiguring panels and popups.  And some patience as improvements and bug fixes have been addressed.  On the panels and popups there is available contributions on many if not most popular aircraft. Just ask and someone will likely respond with what you need.  

does V2 happily work with the Emuteq and are the installation procedures essentially the same as they were with V1

Sorry. Not personally able to address this question.

Regards.... FP

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you Frank for the detailed help!

I shall also add that GNS V2 ships with a GNS Trainer with software 3.3 (legacy was 3.0). This adds a few more approaches capabilities, has internal bugs corrected, runs faster (more optimized code). GNS V2 not only imports flight plans in the standard .FPL file format (Garmin XML format), but it also exports its catalog routes to the hard drive!

As for 'retrofitting' with legacy panels, GNS V2 gauge also includes legacy gauge name aliases. Just copying the rxpGNS2.dll (.gau) gauge file to rxpGNS.dll (.gau) makes any legacy panel load the GNS V2 gauges instead. It won't automatically convert your settings (RealityXP.GNS.ini file), but these are now easily managed and changed live, in-sim, with a nice GUI Settings Panel. Not need to open notepad anymore!

Last but not least, for Emuteq, there is a 3 pages discussion on this forum:

I've almost forgotten: GNS V2 runs from FS9 to P3D4.1, from WinXP to Win10.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)