Sign in to follow this  
caleb1

L:VARS in P3D v4 Without FSUIPC or SPAD.neXt

Does anyone know how to program a L:VAR to a keyboard assignment and/or a joystick button in P3D v4.1 without needing to use FSUIPC or SPAD.neXt?

Thanks in advance.

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Simulators:  Prepar3D v3.4, Prepar3D v4.5, FSX:SE, FSX:Gold Edition

Using the FSX Deluxe Edition SDK SP2 for development.

Replying to get the thread to the top of the list. :smile:

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

No other way I know of, other then programming it in your own XML gauge of course.

The XMLKEYS class of XMLTools, merely allows you to trap keys and assign events (commands) to it; not write data to an L:var.
(as far as I know)

Rob

You could program the joystick button to a standard P3d control that's not used in that particular aircraft, say cabin lights for example, then write a small xml gauge to set the L:var depending on the state of the cabin light. 

Of course you would have to make sure it's something unused which may vary from aircraft to aircraft. 

Dave Garwood.

8 hours ago, rcbarend said:

No other way I know of, other then programming it in your own XML gauge of course.

The XMLKEYS class of XMLTools, merely allows you to trap keys and assign events (commands) to it; not write data to an L:var.
(as far as I know)

Rob

XMLKEYS works with XML scripts, not plain events. So yes, data can be assigned to LVars as whatever script content is executed.

Tom

15 hours ago, spokes2112 said:

XMLTools using the XMLKEYS class for the keyboard.. 

Thanks for the replies.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a tutorial explaining how to use XMLTools to assign an L:VAR to a button or key?

Thanks.

Caleb Byers

Just download XMLTools' desired version.

There is a pdf with details on how XMLKEYS class works, and another pdf containing an example of XMLKEYS in action. 

Tom

10 hours ago, taguilo said:

XMLKEYS works with XML scripts, not plain events. So yes, data can be assigned to LVars as whatever script content is executed.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Of course you are right.
What I was trying to say that even with XMLKEYS, you still need to create an XML gauge that includes the script for XMLKEYS.
Or have I missed something ?

Best, Rob

16 hours ago, taguilo said:

Just download XMLTools' desired version.

There is a pdf with details on how XMLKEYS class works, and another pdf containing an example of XMLKEYS in action. 

Tom

Thanks.

So I am thinking XMLTools might be a little complicated for right now.  I think I might just get Spad.neXt. :smile:

Thanks for your help everyone.

Caleb Byers

12 hours ago, caleb1 said:

Thanks.

So I am thinking XMLTools might be a little complicated for right now.  I think I might just get Spad.neXt. :smile:

Thanks for your help everyone.

First, I must admit I don't have a clue what "Spad.next" is.

I seriously doubt that it's easier to solve your problem ("setting Lvars with keystrokes / joystick button presses) with "Spad.next" compared to a small XML gauge with a script for XMLKEYS.
But, as an XML programmer, I'm biassed ...Lol

And I DO realise that percieved "complexity" all depends on what one allready knows.

Success ....

Rob

On 12/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, rcbarend said:

First, I must admit I don't have a clue what "Spad.next" is.

I seriously doubt that it's easier to solve your problem ("setting Lvars with keystrokes / joystick button presses) with "Spad.next" compared to a small XML gauge with a script for XMLKEYS.
But, as an XML programmer, I'm biassed ...Lol

And I DO realise that percieved "complexity" all depends on what one allready knows.

Success ....

Rob

Spad.next is a program for hardware.  If I am not mistaken, it will easily allow you to assign an l:var to a button on hardware.  I might also consider doing an XML gauge for this.   Thanks.

Caleb Byers