Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Ortho4XP and Custom Build Directory for organizing by regions, anyone utilizing?

Curious if anyone has broken up their huge Ortho tilie collections into states or countries or regions and utilize the "custom build_dir" option to point at that area for a one click turn on/off solution?

Basically you merge all files from a region into one custom folder, then point the custom build_dir at that region, one click turns the whole area on/off.. rather than having to unclick 100 tiles to turn off an area.

Its a little hard to define states this way, since there is overlap, but still gives some flexibility.
I keep debating the worth of doing individual usa states or just do whole countries, like United States, then Canada, then maybe south america etc.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I'm in the progress of doing tiles covering the whole US at ZL17. about 60% done now. At 30 tiles/day average this is a long march but I thoroughly enjoyed the orthos.

Never thought about combing the tiles. I just copy shortcuts to those tiles into custom scenery folder. Seems to be simple and easy enough. It's hard to group those tile into states etc, too much work.. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

32 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

I'm in the progress of doing tiles covering the whole US at ZL17. about 60% done now. At 30 tiles/day average this is a long march but I thoroughly enjoyed the orthos.

Never thought about combing the tiles. I just copy shortcuts to those tiles into custom scenery folder. Seems to be simple and easy enough. It's hard to group those tile into states etc, too much work.. 

It is alot of work, at least to do the state method.

I wanted a way to quickly turn on and off entire regions.. with all those junction points.. in my case for the whole world.. we are talking about 2600 of them.. by combining them it could be reduced to maybe 100 or less if doing it by country/region.. 

I'm at the point now where i think ill just abort that idea though and if i really need them off ill turn em all off with the DISABLED flag in a custom ini file that i copy over.  Yes there is organizer for xp, but i never could seem to get it to work right without blowing things up.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

On 12/14/2017 at 1:10 PM, theskyisthelimit said:

Curious if anyone has broken up their huge Ortho tilie collections into states or countries or regions and utilize the "custom build_dir" option to point at that area for a one click turn on/off solution?

Basically you merge all files from a region into one custom folder, then point the custom build_dir at that region, one click turns the whole area on/off.. rather than having to unclick 100 tiles to turn off an area.

Yup...great idea, Sky....one that I too am pursuing... but I’d like to take it a step further and somehow be able to calculate the tiles that would need to be compiled along any particular flight route then, read that result into a batch process which would indicate on the world map, the exact tiles required for that flight route’s batch process....Then start the database generation/implementation of your idea...a companion-piece to Oscar’s magnum opus.

Seasons Greetings to all

Chas 

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

1 hour ago, hesynergy said:

Yup...great idea, Sky....one that I too am pursuing... but I’d like to take it a step further and somehow be able to calculate the tiles that would need to be compiled along any particular flight route then, read that result into a batch process which would indicate on the world map, the exact tiles required for that flight route’s batch process....Then start the database generation/implementation of your idea...a companion-piece to Oscar’s magnum opus.

Thats an adventurous idea.. i like it as well.. it would be nice if there was a program that would compute that too, based on the route.

Seasons greetings too 

Happy flying