Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

Suitable cargo prop for Win 10

Hi.

It's been a long time...

I've finally had to build a new PC and have found that Captain Sim's C-130 isn't compatible with Windows 10: no undercarriage (can't re-register it), gauges don't work (written in obsolete code perhaps) and doesn't fly too well either.

My FS9 world became so complex before the long hiatus that I haven't the heart to move to a newer simulator so I'm looking for a suitable replacement for the C-130 in which to make cargo flights for Air Hauler (though I've yet to reinstall that and don't even know yet if my existing company will load).

I've used Flight1's C441 for a long time in Air Hauler while saving virtual cash for something bigger but it's always been a bit of a disappointment: non-functional switches, dated graphics, even the condition levers don't work... and now in Win 10, the gauges don't show either.

As far as freeware goes, I might move into the jet world with Dave Maltby's BAC 1-11 but I like being able to fly into relatively small fields and Rick Piper's HS 748 seems to fit the bill. I downloaded both many years ago so have some familiarity with them but haven't really used either.

For payware I've been considering either the PAOB Fokker 50 or Flight1's ATR. The Fokker seems to be attractively complex so could be a suitable substitute. On the other hand, the ATR has always had glowing reviews, but if it lacks functionality like the C441 then I may give it a miss.

What I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, is whether either of the payware planes has any problems in Windows 10. Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks to you all.

D

The ATR or the PMDG B1900C re-instrumented with the GNS530 waas is very nice.

DJ

On 16/12/2017 at 2:51 AM, ubersu said:

The ATR or the PMDG B1900C re-instrumented with the GNS530 waas is very nice.

DJ

It turned out that the C441 does work. I had to do a fresh install on the new PC then overwrite with the backup from the old machine. it was porting it directly that caused the problems.

Gutted to find that even the Just Flight C-130 disc won't install.

On the other hand, the PMDG B1900 is available second-hand on Ebay for a tenner so I've bought that. Does the GNS530 work in FS9? Looking at RealityXP's site, it's only for FSX, P3D and XPlane. (Unless someone else has made one?)

Have you used the ATR? Does everything work in the VC or is it like the C441: a bunch of static switches, cut-down start-up routine etc and having to rely on keyboard shortcuts?

Cheers,

D

The An12 by Vladimir Zhyhulskiy is very nice, too!

Hi Folks,

MAAM sim DC-3 if still available with flight model by Rob Young (IIRC) was a work of art...

RXP's v1 gauges I think should still work with FS9 - I recall having most of their product line and doing a retrofit of all the gauges in the PMDG B1900... Flew the wings off that bird... Tampa (FlyTampa), Fort Lauderdale (FSDT), and Key West (LatinVFR) were favorite airports to fly between with it...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On 15.12.2017 at 4:27 PM, Dave Morgan said:

Hi.

It's been a long time...

I've finally had to build a new PC and have found that Captain Sim's C-130 isn't compatible with Windows 10: no undercarriage (can't re-register it), gauges don't work (written in obsolete code perhaps) and doesn't fly too well either.

I could get CaptainSim's legendary C-130 (and F-104) working under Win 10.

I had to uninstall and delete all and to download it again. You need the product number and register at CaptainSim...

1 hour ago, hgschnell said:

I could get CaptainSim's legendary C-130 (and F-104) working under Win 10.

I had to uninstall and delete all and to download it again. You need the product number and register at CaptainSim...

I found the downloaded installer itself wouldn't work: it would crash after a minute or so with, (as I recall) an Error 11. The Just Flight CD installer simply stopped and closed, putting me back on the desktop, at about the same point. I had them both running as admin and in compatibility mode for XP sp3.

In one or other I also had a server not found error. That was something new to me as I installed the C-130 on the XP machine without an internet connection so I doubt a connection is required this time around.

When I ported the old PC's installation directly into Win 10, it was missing its undercarriage and spinning prop-discs, which I think is what happens when the plane is not registered. Despite having the order number (good prompt reply from Captain Sim), I couldn't get the registering process to work either.

I'll have to experiment and return here with some proper information.

I downloaded the An-12 before going home last night and... left the download at work so I'll have a go at that this evening too.

D

I simply went to www.captainsim.com, clicked "check in", entered my email adress and product number and  a security code to login.

Then I clicked on my product and "extended download service" to get an email with a fresh download link.

This way I downloaded a file called: "csc130_1100.exe". I double clicked it (without XP compatibility mode) and all went fine.

The exe had an icon with the "admin shield". So I suppose it executed in admin mode.

Didn't work. The installer dialogue tells me that there's no record of that order number , despite the fact that I just checked in with it.

I've wasted enough time on it.

Antonov next.

I remember the same problem now. I copied my order number a second time and pasted it and then it worked, strange...

On 18/12/2017 at 1:46 PM, sascha said:

The An12 by Vladimir Zhyhulskiy is very nice, too!

I started in on the An-12 last night, but, reading through the English language Word document user manual, I saw something half-translated that looked suspiciously like, 'Sorry, I made a mistake and this plane isn't compatible with FSUIPC. You'll have to disable anything in the Modules folder that has FSUIPC in its name or the plane won't work properly.'

... so I haven't installed it yet. If it is incompatible, it's not going to become a favourite.

Did I fail to complete the translation correctly? Word of any experiences, good or bad would be appreciated.

If the B1900 doesn't deliver, I may have to fork out for the MAAM DC-3.

D

I have FSUIPC installed (last payware version for FS9, I think 3.999) and the An-12 seems to work fine. I've never noticed anything. I can't remember which version of the An-12 I have. It was updated several times.