Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Kannemeyer

Flying over London

I keep running out of virtual memory when flying over London with the PMDG. The FSX closes. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? Can I alter the FSX config file to help the simulator continue to run.

I spent half an hour setting up the PMDG flight and the sim ran out of memory soon after takeoff over London, I lost all my FMC/Aircraft configuration.

What is the best way to not run out of virtual memory?

58 minutes ago, Nicholas Kannemeyer said:

Most of the issues you've been posting about today can be resolved by reading the intro manual. Please do so. It'll save you a lot of time.

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, Nicholas Kannemeyer said:

Switch to Prepar3d v4.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Nicholas Kannemeyer said:

I keep running out of virtual memory when flying over London with the PMDG. The FSX closes. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? Can I alter the FSX config file to help the simulator continue to run.

I spent half an hour setting up the PMDG flight and the sim ran out of memory soon after takeoff over London, I lost all my FMC/Aircraft configuration.

The only way to avoid an OOM is to lower sim settings, like traffic and autogen, as well as disable scenery that you are not using. It's a settings issue, not a PMDG issue.

On 12/15/2017 at 0:02 PM, Nicholas Kannemeyer said:

I always saved my flights while enroute, not using FSUIPC but manually saving the flight using a saved flight names such as _ENR77X over and over for simplicity.  Save before takeoff, after TOC, every couple of hours and before TOD.  Use FSUIPC to monitor your VAS (how to do this is in the Introduction that Kyle pointed you towards).  If my VAS remaining was less than 800 MB at TOD then I would quit FSX, start a new session and load the flight I saved before TOD.  This usually adds back 800-1200 MB of VAS remaining.

Dan Downs KCRP

40 minutes ago, downscc said:

I always saved my flights while enroute, not using FSUIPC but manually saving the flight using a saved flight names such as _ENR77X over and over for simplicity.  

Hi Dan,

Is there a reason you don't use FSUIPC to save your flights?  Just curious....

Thanks

Chris B. Trane

2 hours ago, ck777 said:

Hi Dan,

Is there a reason you don't use FSUIPC to save your flights?  Just curious....

Thanks

Basically, I use FSUIPC sparingly.  The only use I have for it is to bind controller buttons to key commands for PMDG custom key commands and I will keep asking PMDG to add controller button/switch recognition to their custom command bindings.  That would eliminate any need for FSUIPC.  I have friends that use it extensively and would be lost without it and that is okay, I just happen to have little use for it. Why should I set up an autosave in FSUIPC, which causes rather long pauses when saving a PMDG aircraft, when I can do it myself from the menu?  It's not as though I have frequent crashes and a need to save flights every 60 sec or 60 min., if that were a concern I'd want to solve the problem of the crashing.  The only reason I save flights now is maybe I want a  do-over of a departure (always hand flown) or an arrival (sometimes not so pretty and I want to do over). 

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, Dan. Appreciate the answer.   I don't use it all that much but have the autosave feature set up.  I really haven't had to use it all that much, then again my flight sim hours recently have been so so dismal (a 3 year old and twins on the way have impacted one of my true passions).  

Chris B. Trane

2 hours ago, ck777 said:

then again my flight sim hours recently have been so so dismal (a 3 year old and twins on the way have impacted one of my true passions).  

I see a simple solution! Get your twins accustomed to falling asleep to the sound of jet engines, so that they will only fall and stay asleep if they hear them, and you’ve got a compelling reason to spend many, many hours simming!:biggrin:

Also, congratulations on having twins! Hope all goes well!

20 hours ago, ck777 said:

Thanks, Dan. Appreciate the answer.   I don't use it all that much but have the autosave feature set up.  I really haven't had to use it all that much, then again my flight sim hours recently have been so so dismal (a 3 year old and twins on the way have impacted one of my true passions).  

Wow, a toddler and twins on the way. I'm surprised you have any sim time.  The sound idea from John is a good one, we found our baby girl would fall asleep if we put her carrier on top of the running dryer.  You find ways to survive.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 16-12-2017 at 3:00 AM, Milton Waddams said:

The only way to avoid an OOM is to lower sim settings, like traffic and autogen, as well as disable scenery that you are not using. It's a settings issue, not a PMDG issue.

Isn't it worth trying DX10 preview mode as well, with or without Steve's fixer?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

3 hours ago, avhpilot said:

Isn't it worth trying DX10 preview mode as well, with or without Steve's fixer?

We don't support DX10 or the 'fixer' programs out there. So while that might work, there may be oddities that come out of it that we do not support.

Kyle Rodgers

It's worth the upgrade to P3Dv4 64bit. A bit of a financial hit, but you can take it one upgrade at a time. 

Edited by MattS

On 16 March 2018 at 5:58 PM, scandinavian13 said:

We don't support DX10 or the 'fixer' programs out there. So while that might work, there may be oddities that come out of it that we do not support.

Understood that PMDG do not support DX10 or the Fixer.

I can report I have both and they absolutely do work magnificently well with both my PMDG birds - 777 and 737 NGX - with no issues whatsoever.

Besides, DX10 with Steve's FIXER is the making of FSX for all flying activities.

I do not know Steve or work for him in any capacity. Just a happy customer.