Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Kannemeyer

Flying over London

DX10 did nothing for my system. If anything it made things worse. In my opinion switching to FSX-SE is the best cure for FSX problems. It runs smoothly and doesn’t need tweaking. Most importantly it fixed the memory leaks in FSX. I’ve never had an OOM using FSX-SE.

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

6 hours ago, kevinh said:

Most importantly it fixed the memory leaks in FSX. I’ve never had an OOM using FSX-SE.

I guess that depends on how long of a flight you fly, as I've had FSX-SE go out of memory after 5.5 hours of flying. Of course, all the complex add-ons I have might do it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Agree with Kevin on this one Kevin.  FSXSE has a few code fixes that the MS team had already completed but never got a chance to introduce in an update to FSX and this explains a few improvements.  It is still a 32b application and still subject to constraints and I've seen OOM while beta testing the 777.  One cannot appreciate how much more is possible in a 64b platform until you try it.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

One cannot appreciate how much more is possible in a 64b platform until you try it.

And I've done it. As soon as I got my new computer last week, I already had P3D V4 on it. With FSX, I would only be able to fly at most 5.5 hours before running out of memory, so that would be around 3 or 4 flights. When I tested P3D V4, I was able to fly 8 flights for a total of 12 hours. Whether it was a good idea is an entirely different story altogether, but I didn't run into any issues when I did it. This would have been with the PMDG Boeing 747-400 along with 8 different add-on airport sceneries.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

This is the reason I went from FSX:SE to P3Dv4 never used the 32bit P3D but now I can and have added more scenery and airports, and can enjoy the PMDG 747 , 777 , without fear of VAS and OOM`s, and plan to add more. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It really is true what is often said; your milage may vary.

I did my Frankfurt - Tokyo flight in the 777F last year flying real time,  AS16, Track IR, sliders well to the right.

and that was over ten hours. No OOM. All in little old FSX sp2 with Acc. and DX10 Fixer with Cloud Shadows.

On 15 December 2017 at 6:02 PM, Nicholas Kannemeyer said:

I keep running out of virtual memory when flying over London with the PMDG. The FSX closes. Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? Can I alter the FSX config file to help the simulator continue to run.

I spent half an hour setting up the PMDG flight and the sim ran out of memory soon after takeoff over London, I lost all my FMC/Aircraft configuration.

What is the best way to not run out of virtual memory?

What other addons are you using Nicholas?

Any UK2000 scenery, Orbx and the like?

London AND Heathrow are known hot spots for FSX/ P3D where your frames can drop horribly.

Minimise your sliders in settings and slowly work them back up until you reach a balance between aircraft operational capability (i.e; not a slide show) and surrounding scenery eye-candy. It's a compromise in this part of the World I'm afraid. Heathrow is my main VA airport so I fly out of there all the time.

If you haven't already seen this - take a look.

It's as good a guide as any on taking your first steps on the very long road of optimisation of FSX.

Edited by Guest