Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Real pilots: what airplanes that you sim with have good realism?

Both the Milviz B55 and Cessna 310 also feel realistic. The dev created missions for FSX and made you feel like you were really going through the training process. Just awesome airplanes.

Even though I've never flown a Lancair or Duke, the Realair models feel real. They behave properly and are a lot of fun even on a sim.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Great topic this one, for us pc only virtual pilots have an idea of whats more close to reality, we are only missing here the pilots from the big boys :)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Even though I've never flown a Lancair or Duke, the Realair models feel real. They behave properly and are a lot of fun even on a sim.

+1  I have logged more hours in the past two years in the TDv2 than in any other.  The TDv2 may be the primary reason I have not migrated to P3D. It is a sure joy in and out!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

35 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Highly surprised at no references to the two Milviz GA models.  I flew a Beech Baron 55 (military T42) for a bit over 70 hours. Yes, its been 45 years since, but I like the accuracy, keeping in mind this is a simulator, of the Milviz Baron. It feels highly accurate to me.  I also spent some considerable time in a military U-3A, though not at the controls. The U-3A is the equivalent of the Cessna 310 and that Milviz model feels great to me. It has a lighter feel than the Baron, and that is true in real life.

Completely agree. I have time in both of these and thought it was really good.

Looking forward to the PMDG Jetstream. I have a lot of hours in that beast. Hope to relive some past white-knuckle flying.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

17 minutes ago, fppilot said:

+1  I have logged more hours in the past two years in the TDv2 than in any other.  The TDv2 may be the primary reason I have not migrated to P3D. It is a sure joy in and out!

The Turbine Duke works in P3d V4. If you ever make the move, you will not miss your beloved T Duke.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

54 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The Turbine Duke works in P3d V4. If you ever make the move, you will not miss your beloved T Duke.

I have not paid attention recently, but I thought there were issues in P3D. 

What I like most about the TDv2 is that 2nd dimension of realism. Realism that matches the performance of the real life model.  Here is my one-page kneeboard and it is solely based on information from the OEM manual.  When I match the numbers everything is spot on.  Talk about realism!

http://Turbine Duke Operation-L.jpg

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Have a lot of hours in C152, 172, 182 and also for me  A2A feels spot on.

Has been mentioned already, never judge Addons using any self centering plastic Joystick.

I`m using a Brunner FFB yoke with up to 22 lbs weight on the axes, reasonable travel and the trim feel comes very close to real.

It`s expensive, although considering how much I have spend for Addons, it relativates it a bit. For really judging Addons, they also deserve adequate hardware. It`s a world of difference.

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

Mike,

Agree with your conclusions. I'm also the happy owner of the Brunner yoke and pedals. I'm not a real world GA pilot (only a very long time ago)
So a use the Brunner presets available and they are made by realworld GA pilots..

For me it is impossible to judge software flightsims with the use of rubberband plastic Joysticks/pedals

Jo va Bra

11 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Glenn,

Wholeheartedly concur - the A2A C182T is a bit squirrely - if it was that squirrelly in real life it wouldn't be enjoying the safety record it does... While not as PIC - I have flown an older C182Q - it's a stable platform... I like A2A planes - this one just feel like it could use some work - try it in a 12 knot crosswind and watch out...

I've got time in 180 Comanche's - and their 260 seems pretty darn good to me...

Regards,
Scott

Interesting Scott, as only today I was about to start a thread about this very issue. It's very 'squirrelly' as you put it, quite a good term of phrase, so reading what Ralf9636 has suggested in the way of an aircraft cfg tweak, looks interesting. I will try that later to see if it helps. I'm surprised this issue(?) which I have read from others too, has not been addressed by A2A.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

56 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Interesting Scott

Hi Howard,

Yeah - I've tactfully broached the subject on the A2A forum a while back - while polite - they didn't take it seriously - it was me - my controllers - or - turn down my AS16 weather effects... I've come close to crashing this plane a number of times on takeoff - in what should have been easily handled crosswind conditions (it has a severe tendency to just roll off to the side when you leave the ground) - and - I have some idea as to what I'm supposed to be doing... The RW Skykane is a truck - it's stable - and a tad heavy on the controls...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

11 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Howard,

Yeah - I've tactfully broached the subject on the A2A forum a while back - while polite - they didn't take it seriously - it was me - my controllers - or - turn down my AS16 weather effects... I've come close to crashing this plane a number of times on takeoff - in what should have been easily handled crosswind conditions (it has a severe tendency to just roll off to the side when you leave the ground) - and - I have some idea as to what I'm supposed to be doing... The RW Skykane is a truck - it's stable and a tad heavy on the controls...

Regards,

Scott

Hmm, interesting. I know what you mean about it rolling off to the side. That very thing happened to me the other day without a side wind. I put it down to me not having a fast enough takeoff speed. I find slow approaches difficult too.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

37 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Howard,

Yeah - I've tactfully broached the subject on the A2A forum a while back - while polite - they didn't take it seriously - it was me - my controllers - or - turn down my AS16 weather effects... I've come close to crashing this plane a number of times on takeoff - in what should have been easily handled crosswind conditions (it has a severe tendency to just roll off to the side when you leave the ground) - and - I have some idea as to what I'm supposed to be doing... The RW Skykane is a truck - it's stable - and a tad heavy on the controls...

Regards,

Scott

I fly the A2A Skylane all the time, and have zero problems, and I have also flown one in real life. ?????

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 hours ago, mikealpha said:

never judge Addons using any self centering plastic Joystick.

I would say that depends on the add-on you are judging, it would be inappropriate to be judging, for example, a Supermarine Spitfire or a North American F-86 Sabre whilst flying with a yoke, whereas flying a 737 or a 152 with a joystick would be similarly inappropriate if one wanted a realistic control experience.

Personally, I have vastly more hours in aeroplanes equipped with a stick than I have in those with a yoke and that is likely to remain the case for aeroplanes which I fly for real, so I'm reasonably happy to use a stick most of the time, although I do also have a yoke controller which i will use for airliners and such (not the A320 though obviously).

But my real-world experience with aeroplanes invariably equipped with a stick means I'm pretty familiar with how joysticks on those real aeroplanes feel when in flight, and the truth is that whilst the stick does flop to the side, banging against the stops when the aircraft is on the ground stationary and you are going through your checks, when you get some airflow over the wings, the stick does indeed pretty much self-centre owing to the aerodynamic load on the control surfaces. Not very rigidly admittedly, so I wouldn't want a stick with a very strong centre detent, but I don't think it feels entirely unrealistic to have it centre-up as it is a reasonable compromise to simulate the aerodynamic loads on the control surfaces.

That said, I wouldn't want a cheap-feeling joystick, but one doesn't have to spend a fortune to get past that; the fact is many real aeroplane joysticks do have a not particularly expensive-feeling grip handle, in most of them it is indeed rubberised plastic, so if your PC joystick feels like that, it pretty much feels like the real thing will. Nor would I want one with a small amount of travel, since most real aeroplane joysticks have well over a foot and a half of travel in both axes.

What is more important if one wants a realistic feeling of flight, is rudder pedals, since not using those for the rudder inputs or braking is completely unrealistic, that is unless you are flying Fly Sim Ware's ERCO Ercoupe, since like the real thing, it is one of the few GA aeroplanes which doesn't actually have any rudder pedals.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 hours ago, DJJose said:

Hmm, I thought there were quite a few things that didn't work in V4? Like some sounds and cockpit switches?

Howard

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

I would say that depends on the add-on you are judging, it would be inappropriate to be judging, for example, a Supermarine Spitfire or a North American F-86 Sabre whilst flying with a yoke, whereas flying a 737 or a 152 with a joystick would be similarly inappropriate if one wanted a realistic control experience.

Personally, I have vastly more hours in aeroplanes equipped with a stick than I have in those with a yoke and that is likely to remain the case for aeroplanes which I fly for real, so I'm reasonably happy to use a stick most of the time, although I do also have a yoke controller which i will use for airliners and such (not the A320 though obviously).

But my real-world experience with aeroplanes invariably equipped with a stick means I'm pretty familiar with how joysticks on those real aeroplanes feel when in flight, and the truth is that whilst the stick does flop to the side, banging against the stops when the aircraft is on the ground stationary and you are going through your checks, when you get some airflow over the wings, the stick does indeed pretty much self-centre owing to the aerodynamic load on the control surfaces. Not very rigidly admittedly, so I wouldn't want a stick with a very strong centre detent, but I don't think it feels entirely unrealistic to have it centre-up as it is a reasonable compromise to simulate the aerodynamic loads on the control surfaces.

That said, I wouldn't want a cheap-feeling joystick, but one doesn't have to spend a fortune to get past that; the fact is many real aeroplane joysticks do have a not particularly expensive-feeling grip handle, in most of them it is indeed rubberised plastic, so if your PC joystick feels like that, it pretty much feels like the real thing will. Nor would I want one with a small amount of travel, since most real aeroplane joysticks have well over a foot and a half of travel in both axes.

What is more important if one wants a realistic feeling of flight, is rudder pedals, since not using those for the rudder inputs or braking is completely unrealistic, that is unless you are flying Fly Sim Ware's ERCO Ercoupe, since like the real thing, it is one of the few GA aeroplanes which doesn't actually have any rudder pedals.

I don't understand how someone can fly at all in a sim without rudder pedals. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310