Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Real pilots: what airplanes that you sim with have good realism?

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I fly the A2A Skylane all the time, and have zero problems, and I have also flown one in real life. ?????

The plot thickens!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have over 1000 hours in GA aircraft and the models I use in simulation lack a bit as far as the real thing.  The reason is the control devices I use and the absence of the physical forces at play..  My yoke and pedals don't have the same resistance as in real life.  Also, the g-forces are not present behind my desk as they are in the cockpit.  Performing a step turn in the real thing is very different than behind the desk.  This being said, I still enjoy the simulation.  For what it provides for the cost, there is no comparison.

• Upvote 2

Is there any real-world comparison/comment for the Alabeo Mooney M20R Ovation? 

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Yeah - I've tactfully broached the subject on the A2A forum a while back - while polite - they didn't take it seriously - it was me - my controllers - or - turn down my AS16 weather effects... I've come close to crashing this plane a number of times on takeoff - in what should have been easily handled crosswind conditions (it has a severe tendency to just roll off to the side when you leave the ground) - and - I have some idea as to what I'm supposed to be doing... The RW Skykane is a truck - it's stable - and a tad heavy on the controls...

I've only flown it about 5 hours RW when I started instrument training.  As you say, it's a truck.  Very stable with a big cowl in front of you.  If I recall, I couldn't get the nose up for the flair and, in slow flight it's nose down too.  The way I fixed it was to put one or two people in the back seat.  Perhaps a CG issue? 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

3 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

The way I fixed it was to put one or two people in the back seat.  Perhaps a CG issue? 

Ahhh, good idea. Maybe that is very much the problem I have. I'll try that later Gregg., Although I'm going to do some tweaking of the cfg too.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

1 hour ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, I thought there were quite a few things that didn't work in V4? Like some sounds and cockpit switches?

There is a new sound gauge release for V4 from https://www.douglassdawson.ca/ dsd_p3d_xml_sounds_x64 that you can download and replace the RealAir one.  There is a thread in this forum on how to do that.  This gauge will bring sounds back for the Piston Duke V2, Turbine Duke V2 and Lancair V2 in P3D v4.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Hmm, I thought there were quite a few things that didn't work in V4? Like some sounds and cockpit switches?

Turbine duke v2 has also been released by real Air with a new installer for v4.

only for current customers though 

previosuly you could just use the new 64 bit sound gauge to install but now you don’t need to thanks to the new installer

http://realairsimulations.net/

• Upvote 2

Just now, GHarrall said:

Guh!  I'm glad but...guh!  I love flying this plane but I feel for people that want, BY FAR, the best private turboprop airplane ever made for the sim.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just now, Gregg_Seipp said:

Guh!  I'm glad but...guh!  I love flying this plane but I feel for people that want, BY FAR, the best private turboprop airplane ever made for the sim.

:wacko: - v1 owner...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

The plot thickens!

Hmmmm.

guess I will have to try loading it up some more. 

All I can say is that a real 172 does not feel as “touchy”.

i can only imagine the 182 is a similar experience. 

2 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Thank you for that link. I immediately DL the new installer.  I also took the step of printing my receipt w/installation key to a .pdf file and archiving.   

I failed with FS4 to do that with someone's great Saab 340A and missed it badly after I could not reinstall it.  Believe it was FlightFactory Simulation's.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Did you already try to tweak the stability settings under [flight_tuning] in the aircraft.cfg? I increase these values if the aircraft controls feel too light. You might start with

pitch_stability=3.000
roll_stability=1.500

to make it feel heavier.

I found this very intriguing.  I fly mainly PMDG NGX and tfdi 717 and have always wished they had more of that heavy feeling.  In the past it seemed the QW 757 and Mad Dog MD's had that feeling.  I am not a real pilot and the NGX and 717 may be modeled perfectly but it sure seems to me they would feel heavier.  I have tried to change the feel with the sim null adjustments etc but I can never get there.  I am using Saitek yoke, pedals and throttles.  I appreciated the comments on the other yokes which may be an option if the work as described above in the larger planes. 

What are your thoughts on the "heavier" feeling of the PMDG and tfdi?  Have any of you tweaked them and if so do you have recommendations and advice to do so?

Thanks in advance.  

3 hours ago, gpf3m said:

I have over 1000 hours in GA aircraft and the models I use in simulation lack a bit as far as the real thing.  The reason is the control devices I use and the absence of the physical forces at play..  My yoke and pedals don't have the same resistance as in real life.  Also, the g-forces are not present behind my desk as they are in the cockpit.  Performing a step turn in the real thing is very different than behind the desk.  This being said, I still enjoy the simulation.  For what it provides for the cost, there is no comparison.

Just the fuel cost in something like a Comanche will wreck your budget. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Not a real pilot and I know this is a P3D forum  so forgive me for butting in but I want to highly suggest the Manfred Jan C-47  freeware to be had at Sim Outhouse. I have seen the flight dynamics and realism acclaimed by people experienced in the aircraft. Wonderful documentation and if you can believe it an interactive FO all in one free addon! Since I got this plane I can't put her down and I have most of the  popular ( and expensive) study sims. 

• Upvote 1

Vic green

2 hours ago, kenthom said:

I found this very intriguing.  I fly mainly PMDG NGX and tfdi 717 and have always wished they had more of that heavy feeling.  In the past it seemed the QW 757 and Mad Dog MD's had that feeling.  I am not a real pilot and the NGX and 717 may be modeled perfectly but it sure seems to me they would feel heavier.  I have tried to change the feel with the sim null adjustments etc but I can never get there.  I am using Saitek yoke, pedals and throttles.  I appreciated the comments on the other yokes which may be an option if the work as described above in the larger planes. 

What are your thoughts on the "heavier" feeling of the PMDG and tfdi?  Have any of you tweaked them and if so do you have recommendations and advice to do so?

Thanks in advance.  

It's been a while since I flew the NGX (flying Airbus now) but I remember that to me it felt more like flying an F-18 with the default settings, in particular the roll-rate. At least according to my imagination - I have no real world experience with aircraft like that of course.

So I increased pitch_stability and roll_stability until it felt heavy enough for me. Was that more realistic? I don't know, but it felt better to me and met my expeciations.

Of course there are a lot of factors relevant here: Controller type, calibration, slope, sensitivity etc., last but not least your own expectations.

I recommend to just play around with these values and look if it feels better to you. After all it should feel like you want it to feel.

• Upvote 1