Sign in to follow this  
Ramjett

Alpha Hole Shot at St Maarten (TNCM)

I have been flying the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended quite a bit lately as a part on my membership at FS Economy. I've had the aircraft quite a while now and feel very comfortable with it, but documentation about settings during takeoff, climb, cruise, descent, and landing are, shall we say...sparse.

FS Economy requires you to fly at a speed that gets you an average fuel consumption of 120 gallons per hour and I can trim her and set the prop speed and throttles to get that and still average 140 KIAS in cruise at 10,000 feet. So I'm comfortable with the way I am flying her, but also curious if that is reasonably close to the way she is flown for real.

To that end I have been watching some actual cockpit videos of the DHC-6 in action, mostly Winair but some Himalayan flights as well. While watching one of the Winair videos, a flight from St Maarten to Antigua, the pilots were going through their start checklists and so forth and one of them mentioned their "Alpha Hole Shot" was approved. All of a sudden things in the cockpit started happening at a much faster pace and not as "relaxed" as things seemed to be earlier. They taxied quicker than I had been seeing and mentioned "Hole Shot" several times, especially as they approached the runway.

I tried searching for Alpha Hole Shot on the web, but as expected got everything except an aviation procedure explanation, especially at St Maarten. I assumed, since I couldn't find anything about it, that it was a "hurry up" departure between landing aircraft, but I never saw any other aircraft land and since you could hear ATC in the video I tried to hear landing clearances for those inbound but did not hear any during their "fast" taxi. There were no other aircraft actively taxiing that I saw in the video. Anybody know what was so special about "Alpha Hole Shot" at St Maarten?

Randy

Are you sure you weren't hearing an instruction to taxi ALPHA and HOLD SHORT of rw10? (or a readback of that instruction if you heard it from a pilot?).

After receiving that instruction, the aircraft would begin to taxi and the crew would perform their taxi and pre-takeoff checks. Taxi times are also pretty short at SXM, so there would be incentive to get them done fairly quickly.

DB

You know what, the pilots were speaking with a very heavy dutch accent on their english.  I'll bet you are absolutely correct.

Thak you so much for your reply.

Randy

Well, that may be, but the aircrew were speaking a different language (sounded European) during their cockpit banter and checklists and reverted to English for their interaction with ATC, who also used English of course.  The pilot was a female Caucasian with blonde hair and her accent was "heavy", that's why I assumed Dutch.  After all, it was the Netherlands Antilles.

No matter, I am still sure you are correct and she was saying APLHA Hold Short, so my mystery is solved. :biggrin:

Randy

44 minutes ago, Ramjett said:

No matter, I am still sure you are correct and she was saying APLHA Hold Short, so my mystery is solved. :biggrin:

Randy

This kind of reminds me of when I first heard the call outs in an Airbus. I swear the thing was saying 50,40,30, Recon, Recon. Turns out it’s saying Retard, Retard, as in retard the throttle, lol. Still sounds like Recon to me though.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Can't seem to find the video your're referencing with the female captain....but the only one I can find on Youtube for the SXM-ANU route is this one:

Is this the one you were referring to with the language?

DB

On 12/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, Ramjett said:

Anybody know what was so special about "Alpha Hole Shot" at St Maarten?

Just means some golfer shot a hole in one on Alpha, of course. Doesn't EVERYONE know that?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.