Sign in to follow this  
chiastra

scenery.cfg and fs9.cfg wanted

Good evening

I have a Win7 64 bit Sp1 +  fs9, but I can't find this two important files : fs9.cfg and scenery.cfg . When I install a scenery like "scenery"+"texture" in a folder,where I can paste ? in fs9 add-on folder ? Why there is an error message ?

Excuse the banal question

Andrea

First of all, I hope you have not installed FS9 in the default position. It should be installed outside where your windows is situated, preferrably not even in the C partition but in a partition of it's own, e.g. in D.

FS9.cfg is a file which is created automatically during the FS9 installation and will normally never need to be edited manually, unless you really know what you are doing. So, it's best to just leave it alone. However, you can always do a system search for it, but only to have a look at it's contents.

When adding any scenery to FS9 you need a main folder name, e.g. Gatwick Arprt. That folder must always contain two other standard folders named Scenery and Texture. The "Scenery" folder must contain only BGL files and the "Texture" folder must contain all the related texture files, normally the BMP files. These folders should never be separated from each other.

When you would want to add e.g. Gatwick Arprt, to your FS9 you must first copy/paste the complete "Gatwick Arprt" folder into your "Addon Scenery" folder which should be present within your main FS9 folder. As soon as you have done this you must then inform FS9 about this new airport by adding the "Gatwick Arprt" scenery area to the Scenery.cfg file but only from within FS9 itself. Do not attempt to add this new scenery directly into the scenery.cfg file. You should in fact never need to separately copy/paste Gatwick Arprt's Scenery folder nor it's texture folder anywhere but only the complete Gatwick Arprt folder containing both it's standard Scenery and Texture folders.

After you have informed FS9 about this new scenery, i.e. have permanently added it to FS9, it will now be able to display and use it but only after you have initially shut FS9 down and have re-started it.

The scenery.cfg file can be found in the main FS9 folder but do not attempt to directly edit it.

I hope this helps.

Hans

To quickly find a file, download Everything from www.voidtools.com

The fastest desktop search engine ever. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thank you Hans and Wobbie

Your helps are good

I mistaked installation:my fs9 is in C ( ssd 250GB),but why is wrong ? I have installed as administrator system, and FS 2004+Win7 are running fast.Only one error message on fs9 load : Area 038 lost ecc. Full fs9 uninstall ?

OK Wobbie,I now try  "Everything" quickly file.

I have some difficulty explain my problems because english is not my language,sorry.

When you install FS9 into it's default position it will be installed into an area protected and used by your Windows7 itself. This means that Windows7 will not accept certain edits/changes/activities, which are very common and normal when using FS9. The results can be unpredictable.

Good luck.

Hans

I strongly disagree with installing the cfg and the sims elsewhere but the default address and drive. And I am against partitions. PC experts feel the same way.

Both my FS9 and FSX are in my only drive, C, default locations. That keeps things simple and tidy and avoids problems.

Defragmenting is also easier and installers use the default installation addresses, so you do not have to move around searching for other drives. The sims load faster as well!!!

The sim will automattically write an fs9.cfg when it is run the first time.

Hans correctly states: ' When you install FS9 into it's default position it will be installed into an area protected and used by your Windows7/8/10 itself. This means that Windows will not accept certain edits/changes/activities, which are very common and normal when using FS9. The results can be unpredictable. ' 

This has been stated many times on various forums.

interestingly, on my defunct laptop's hardrive, I had a sim install in its default folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games etc as well as an install in C:\ Flight Sim

There were issues in trying to edit aircraft cfg files in the default sim, but no issues in the C:\Flight Sim folder

As I mentioned before, I pulled out the hard drive, & copied the sims over to my new laptop.

I found that the copied version from the default folder had a few errors, such as missing aircraft.cfg's in many folders, whereas the other was perfect.

Defragging will not make any difference, as, when the sims are installed, they actually write to the registry, or, with multiple sims, you can set the registry manually with the Flight1 Registry Repair Tool. Newer operating systems actally do their own automatic defrags behind the scenes.

I normally edit the fs9.cfg folder to add in [Old Modules] and the appropiate .dll's to prevent any error messages.

Regards,

Robin

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...