Sign in to follow this  
Wahoom

OOM and VAS

Hi everyone!

My sim keeps crashing after 7-9 hours, I guess because I run out of memory? After weeks of flying the PMDG 777 I wasn't able to do a single flight over 6 hours...

I spent hours researching about OOM and VAS and I changed my settings, monitor VAS in flights and try to prevent it. But without success.

What is REALLY affective in trying to prevent it from happening? I don't use anything apart from default scenery as far as textures go, only the airports I fly between are addons, and only these two are activated when I fly...

Thanks for any help :)

Wahoom

The easiest way to solve the OOM/VAS issue would be to purchase P3D v4.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm surprised that it took someone 7 whole minutes to respond. I guess we were all waiting to see who would go first.

12 minutes ago, Wahoom said:

What is REALLY affective in trying to prevent it from happening?

Save the flight when VAS remaining gets low, exit and start a new P3D session and load what you just saved.  This returns around 1Gb of VAS.  Before v3 I'd save/exit/reload just before TOD anytime VAS remaining was less than 800 MB.  This is a PITA but necessary unless you upgrade to 64b v4.

Dan Downs KCRP

I could be mistaken but I believe you want to save the PMDG panel state too. I never had much luck with this and kept my flights under 4hrs until switching to V4.0.

RE Thomason Jr.

You might want to try a freeware tool like -

Lorby Time Machine - "The Lorby Time Machine is a useful app for doing long haul flights. It will speed up the simulation rate between the waypoints of your flight plan, slowing down for each waypoint to give the autopilot a chance to catch up with the route."

So, it slows down at each waypoint so your aircraft and AP can make the turn (if required) to the next waypoint.  It's freeware provided by Lorby_Si.  AVSIM hosts the Lorby_Si Forums and you simply click on the link to the site and click on freeware.  The only issue I see with it (I have not used it yet) is the fact you have to set up a flightplan and load it at the startup screen.  So, using a saved flight plan from PMDG's flightplan folder would have to be converted manually to show all of the waypoints, including SID's and STAR's which a P3D flightplan does not include when automatically setting up a route.  I have found that one can usually fly 7-9 hours without a crash or OOM.  It's when you go into approach mode and near the eye-candy airport with real weather and a lot of autogen that will wipe out your session.  I always increase the acceleration of the sim to 4x's between waypoints and then go back to normal during the descent phase.  The descent phase is actually the VAS killer (IMHO) and even on short flights.

Another suggestion would be to disable autogen during the flight (can't see trees and buildings at 20,000 or higher anyway) and only turning it on at the beginning and at the end of the flight.  Autogen eats up resources, even though optimized, superfast.  Much of the commercial scenery addons today have their own autogen and trees around the airports so I rarely use autogen.

You also want to make sure you have no photoscenery enabled in your config.  Photoscenery will load even if it is located on the other side of the world and eat up resources. 

There is no magic wand to eliminate OOM's with 32 bit applications though and the only magic wand is what others have stated, upgrade to the 64 bit version of P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 12/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, Wahoom said:

So I just save the scenario and then load it up again?

Save the scenario, exit P3D, start P3D and load the scenario.  Presto:  VAS remaining increases significantly.  The PMDG files such as panel state are automatically saved, nothing else to do.  I recommend that the save be done with the aircraft straight and level no closer than a few miles to the next waypoint or change in course. This is simply to give the newly loaded scenario time to initialize and stabilize.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 17.12.2017 at 4:21 PM, Jim Young said:

You might want to try a freeware tool like -

Lorby Time Machine - "The Lorby Time Machine is a useful app for doing long haul flights. It will speed up the simulation rate between the waypoints of your flight plan, slowing down for each waypoint to give the autopilot a chance to catch up with the route."

So, it slows down at each waypoint so your aircraft and AP can make the turn (if required) to the next waypoint.  It's freeware provided by Lorby_Si.  AVSIM hosts the Lorby_Si Forums and you simply click on the link to the site and click on freeware.  The only issue I see with it (I have not used it yet) is the fact you have to set up a flightplan and load it at the startup screen.  So, using a saved flight plan from PMDG's flightplan folder would have to be converted manually to show all of the waypoints, including SID's and STAR's which a P3D flightplan does not include when automatically setting up a route.  I have found that one can usually fly 7-9 hours without a crash or OOM.  It's when you go into approach mode and near the eye-candy airport with real weather and a lot of autogen that will wipe out your session.  I always increase the acceleration of the sim to 4x's between waypoints and then go back to normal during the descent phase.  The descent phase is actually the VAS killer (IMHO) and even on short flights.

Another suggestion would be to disable autogen during the flight (can't see trees and buildings at 20,000 or higher anyway) and only turning it on at the beginning and at the end of the flight.  Autogen eats up resources, even though optimized, superfast.  Much of the commercial scenery addons today have their own autogen and trees around the airports so I rarely use autogen.

You also want to make sure you have no photoscenery enabled in your config.  Photoscenery will load even if it is located on the other side of the world and eat up resources. 

There is no magic wand to eliminate OOM's with 32 bit applications though and the only magic wand is what others have stated, upgrade to the 64 bit version of P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

On 17.12.2017 at 9:47 PM, downscc said:

Save the scenario, exit P3D, start P3D and load the scenario.  Presto:  VAS remaining increases significantly.  The PMDG files such as panel state are automatically saved, nothing else to do.  I recommend that the save be done with the aircraft straight and level no closer than a few miles to the next waypoint or change in course. This is simply to give the newly loaded scenario time to initialize and stabilize.

Thanks guys! Already tried out a few suggestions (autogen, scenery config, scenario saving) and its a lot better now, I need 3 or 4 restarts for a 10 hour flight, but it really helps.