Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Steeper

AffinityMask

Hi there,

Ive tried using the Gatwick Sim tool but it only supports 8 cores.

Does anyone know how to work out / provide me with a affinity mark for 18 core / 36 thread CPU? 

Thanks in advance,

Lew

Lew, it's actually pretty easy to figure out for youself, as it follows a standard decimal coded binary scheme.

That said, you can also Google for a Binary to Decimal Converter and a Decimal to Binary Converter. Just use 1's for core on and 0 for core off, and remember that it works LEFT TO RIGHT, not RIGHT TO LEFT.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Here's an Affinity Mask calculator that can be downloaded and saved.  Doesn't require installation (portable), can be set to any number of cores, and can be set to calculate AM with HT on or off.  Read the entire first post in the forum thread... the Media Fire download requires a password (must be super secret stuff :biggrin:).

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=32520.0

Super easy to use!

HTH,

Greg

Is a entry for AM useful in P3Dv4?

If I recall, it was needed in FSX.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Affinity Mask works in all Windows programs which are written to take advantage of multiple cores, so technically the answer is yes.

That said, only the user would know if Affinity Mask is beneficial with any ESP derivative as (particularly with P3DV4) it's use is based on what other software is running and what the person wants to accomplish by assigning specific cores to specific software.

I run at least 7 other programs while running P3DV4 under an i7-4770K running at 4.3GHz with a GTX 1080 and I have yet to find any benefit to manually assigning cores, but again it depends on what software someone is using and generally speaking someone's system specs.

I found using Affinity Mask was not beneficial under FSX:SE as well, though it made a difference with FSX:MS.  The reason is that DTG found and eliminated some dual thread processing of autogen, and this made processing more streamlined.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks Dave,

Very helpful information.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Most welcome!

Dave Hodges

15 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

and remember that it works LEFT TO RIGHT, not RIGHT TO LEFT.

Dave, I have to ask what you mean by this?  for example in a 4 core machine with HT on (8 LPs) 254 = 11 11 11 10 so the RIGHT most bit (LSB) is LP0 and the rest go RIGHT to LEFT.  I know I am missing what you mean, your advice is always a must read.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

42 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

Dave, I have to ask what you mean by this?  for example in a 4 core machine with HT on (8 LPs) 254 = 11 11 11 10 so the RIGHT most bit (LSB) is LP0 and the rest go RIGHT to LEFT.  I know I am missing what you mean, your advice is always a must read.

Hello my friend,

Here is a terrific thread that explains what I mean. We may be saying the same thing (forgive me for not taking too much time at the moment, I'm neck deep in testing).

Dave Hodges

AffinityMask is not needed at all and especially with P3D and Windows 10.  All of your cores are operating at 100% in Windows 10 when P3D is running.  It use to be just one core was at 100% and the other cores were at 0.  Microsoft fixed.  To verify, click on the Windows key + R, type resmon, start up P3D, in resmon, click on CPU tab and make sure the P3D box is enabled so you will know it is just monitoring P3D.  Look to the right and you will see that every core is being used 100%.  In Resource Monitor, it will also show what each core is doing.  Cool stuff...

EDIT:  It even works for FSX.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

15 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

AffinityMask is not needed at all and especially with P3D and Windows 10.  All of your cores are operating at 100% in Windows 10 when P3D is running.

This is not accurate, at all!  Dave said it best above:

...only the user would know if Affinity Mask is beneficial with any ESP derivative as (particularly with P3DV4) it's use is based on what other software is running and what the person wants to accomplish by assigning specific cores to specific software.

Greg

My very good friend Jim's technical advice and expertise is top notch, so I must have misunderstood what he means.  I'm currently running P3DV4 in testing, and you can see below that several cores are under utilized (not at 100%).

I'll say again that I don't USUALLY use AF with P3DV4, however there are circumstances where it would be beneficial to use for P3D and other programs as well. I usually set this via a BAT file which loads with the software, however Process Laso is also another good means.

BssARcg.png

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

This is not accurate, at all!  Dave said it best above:

...only the user would know if Affinity Mask is beneficial with any ESP derivative as (particularly with P3DV4) it's use is based on what other software is running and what the person wants to accomplish by assigning specific cores to specific software.

Greg

I would also agree with that statement - if you do not know what you want to accomplish, you may as well leave out any AffinityMask, since you are likely to make it worse, not better..

Having said that, I find that I get a smoother ride when I move P3D off the first core and give it it's very own place to run.. Windows will always run other housekeeping processes in the background which can interfere with smooth operation.  On the other hand, for every core that you set aside, you are taking away CPU power from the pool that Windows assigns work to..  :happy:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would also agree with that statement - if you do not know what you want to accomplish, you may as well leave out any AffinityMask, since you are likely to make it worse, not better..

Having said that, I find that I get a smoother ride when I move P3D off the first core and give it it's very own place to run.. Windows will always run other housekeeping processes in the background which can interfere with smooth operation.  On the other hand, for every core that you set aside, you are taking away CPU power from the pool that Windows assigns work to..  :happy:

Why move it off of the first core?  Before all cores were being used with Windows 10, we had to use the AF tweak to get it to use some of our other cores.  Now it is using all of the cores (the person who has the most cores wins) and some cores are more active than others indicating some cores are processing Windows chores, P3D is using other cores but the main point is that all cores are being used and that's what the AF tweak was set up to do.  I have seen so many crashes while using this tweak in the past and many members are confused, very confused.  I like the fact all cores are being used now.  Moving P3D off the first core is probably just a waste of time as the benefits, if any, will be minimal.  I think we need to get away from members risking the chance of putting in the wrong parameters for AF and subsequently crashing occasionally and move on to the future.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10