Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Steeper

AffinityMask

I agree with Jim and also SteveW

Dont use a AM on 4 cores with or without HT.

Boot off ASv4, ProATC and anything else you run with the sim OFF 0 and 1

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

45 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

I think we need to get away from members risking the chance of putting in the wrong parameters for AF and subsequently crashing occasionally and move on to the future.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, my starting line was:

"if you do not know what you want to accomplish, you may as well leave out any AffinityMask, since you are likely to make it worse, not better.."

So, on that, we agree :cool:

BTW,  I run Windows 7..

Bert

28 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Moving P3D off the first core is probably just a waste of time as the benefits, if any, will be minimal.

Perhaps on your simmimg computer, but not on mine.  Mine is smoothest when the first process of P3Dv4 is assigned it's own LP, and the LP after it is not assigned.

An Affinity Mask is not a solution, it is a tool that can be used to create a solution to the problem of processes crashing into each other.  It does so by assigning specific applications to specific LP's.  To say the sim doesn't need an AM or that moving it off the first core is just a waste of time forgets the fact that each of our systems is different (system=hardware + all software), and indeed that each of our sims is different, and finally that we each have different goals/reasons for simming.  Not every aspect of the computers we each use is one size fits all.

Greg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

So, on that, we agree :cool:

BTW,  I run Windows 7..

Appreciate your comments Bert.  As you know I respect your expertise and your help on the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.  I just cringe when members do a tweak like the Affinity Mask and think it is the holy grail of flight simulation (know you do not).  Didn't realize you were still on Windows 7 and understand more fully your comments.  I like Windows 7 too but upgraded my MB and CPU this year and they make you install Windows 10 as Win 7 is not compatible with the new stuff.  I thought I would hate Windows 10 but like it more and more.  I remember jumping to Windows 7 when it first came out and skipped Windows 8 and 10 for several years.  Windows 7 is like what Windows XP Pro was in its day.  Thanks again for your comments!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Having said that, I find that I get a smoother ride when I move P3D off the first core and give it it's very own place to run.. Windows will always run other housekeeping processes in the background which can interfere with smooth operation.  On the other hand, for every core that you set aside, you are taking away CPU power from the pool that Windows assigns work to..  :happy:

Hi Bert,,

With that, are you saying you're running your P3D with Affinity Mask=254, i.e. blocking out the 1st core.

thx,

Mike

1 hour ago, orbmis said:

Hi Bert,,

With that, are you saying you're running your P3D with Affinity Mask=254, i.e. blocking out the 1st core.

thx,

Mike

I actually use 244=11 11 01 00,  but as we have established in this thread, that may not necessarily be the best setting for you.

You can try it if you want, and always go back to whatever you like better :happy:

Bert

I wanted to ask you for advice in setting the ‘affinity mask’ since i’m installing P3D4. As a processor i have an i7-8700K, what value should I put?

Thanks

Gianmarco Ragazzoni 

9 hours ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

I wanted to ask you for advice in setting the ‘affinity mask’ since i’m installing P3D4. As a processor i have an i7-8700K, what value should I put?

Thanks

Gianmarco Ragazzoni 

Suggest you read the above posts carefully... based on the way you worded your question, I would recommend not setting an affinity mask.

Bert

I recently switched to using hyperthreading on my 4790K and found out that using affinity mask to move P3D threads off the first core basically kills autogen loading performance in a scenario of view switches to live trafic injected with PSXSeekonTraffic and back to cockpit.

On 2017-12-17 at 3:56 PM, Nyxx said:

I agree with Jim and also SteveW

Dont use a AM on 4 cores with or without HT.

Boot off ASv4, ProATC and anything else you run with the sim OFF 0 and 1

Hi,

so the correct way would be to not boot P3d off 0 and 1???

that is what I have done 

and moved asp4 ezdok gsx etc

on 0 And 1

is that wrong?

thanks

mike

I let P3D use all cores I only let other addon use the green ones 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

44 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I let P3D use all cores I only let other addon use the green ones 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Hi

sorry I am confused I have a i74790k 4 core

what would be the recommendation for  add ons?

0,2,4,6,7?

im lost lol

thanks 

mike

1 hour ago, newtie said:

This will be helpful.

Cheers,
Mark

Thank you

so if I am reading correctly. Using AM=116 or any AM using 4 lp would  be the best option?

eg

AM=116 0,1,3,7 for P3d 

and addons for 

WOuld yield best results?

and would you allocate for example

asp4 ezdok gsx all on 0,2,4,6,7

or 

asp4 asca on say

0,2? Or more?

Ezdok on 4,6,7?

or all on 0,2,4,6,7

sorry for stupid questions

im still trying to learn this

thanks

mike

Mike - 

There is no right and wrong generally in this. Understand what you are trying to accomplish and try the setting. If ti works - you are good to go, if not.......

You cannot just copy someone else's settings and expect them to work - they may or may not. I am one who has had no success at all with the AM. I do use Process Lasso mainly to control background processes but I'ev tried all sorts of combinations of AM and HT.

For *ME* - no AM and HT OFF gives me the best performance.

The only way for you to find a setting (or no setting) that works is to try them.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors