Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Citation 550 Ferry Flight from Paris to Phoenix - Part 1 - To Ireland

Love to see Paris...and the French coastline is marvelous!!

HLJAMES

When I was an air traffic controller in the military years ago, one Saturday I got a call from a C172 over Myrtle Beach at 6500 who'd lost his engine.  I cleared him to land and we rolled the crash trucks.  He landed safely, they towed him off the runway over to the aero-club.  He called me when he got into the building to say thank you and said he was ferrying the airplane to Africa...up the US coast to Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, England, France, Spain and then down to Africa.  He said it was a brand new top of the line Cessna engine and the crankshaft blew a hole in the block (I went down and looked at it myself...beautiful super-clean engine with about a three inch-around crack with a chunk of metal missing.  The concept of flying a small piston-driven single-engine airplane flying over large bodies of water seemed risky but that's what's done.  (Later in the day I had a second airplane...a Piper, I think...lose it's engine and, oil all over the windsheild, glide in, barely making it to the runway...two couples on board.  In 11 years of ATC, I'd only seen one other airplane lose it's engine and here I had two on the same day.)

Curious what your flightplan was going across the water.  The Citation S550 has, roughly a 2100 mile range...clearly needs some fuel stops. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM