Sign in to follow this  
paj

Can P3D commands be assigned to mouse buttons?

Has anyone been able to successfully assign P3D functions  (such as mouse-look [space], flaps [F6 F7] and zoom/increment [ - + ] etc)  to mouse buttons, particularly buttons 4, 5 or above?

It is easy to assign key presses to mouse buttons using, say, the Logitech mouse driver or with the default Windows mouse driver if using utilities like XMouseButtonControl. I can confirm that all such custom mouse keys mappings are working by pressing the mouse buttons in other programs (such as Word, Chrome etc) and observing characters being "typed".

But in P3D (4.x) these key-mapped mouse buttons stop working. It appears P3D is overriding and ignoring all externally defined mouse button functionality.

I didn’t have this problem with FSX.

Many thanks

Peter.

(Win 10, P3D4.1)

Only way I have is found, using Logitech Gaming mouse and assigning key presses in the Logitech Software.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the response Adrian. So the buttons to which you have assigned key-presses in the Logitech software definitely work in P3Dv4?

My mouse is a 7 button Logitech business mouse. So whilst I can’t use the Logitech gaming mouse software it’s Logitech SetPoint mouse software also allows assigning key presses to buttons. This works fine for me in every program... except P3D!  

You might have better luck using the paid version of FSUIPC to do that. It's a simple process of selecting the controller (mouse, joystick, panel, etc...) then press the button and choose which command to send in association with that button press.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that suggestion. I do have the paid version of fsuipc.

But i thought it only allowed functions to be assigned to joystick buttons: not mouse buttons?

2 hours ago, paj said:

Thanks for that suggestion. I do have the paid version of fsuipc.

But i thought it only allowed functions to be assigned to joystick buttons: not mouse buttons?

Easy enough to check! Go into FSUIPC and see if your mouse is listed as a controller. If it is, then try button assignments and press a button to see what shows up.

• Upvote 1

No, the mouse isn’t listed as a controller within FSUIPC and you can’t press a mouse button and assign a key press to it.

FSUIPC doesn’t do much with mice. It’s instead focused on joysticks.  It has a mouselook function (mapped only to the middle wheel button). You can also use LUA scripts with FSUIPC to generate virtual mouse clicks and movements within the cockpit.

I use the Logitech Gaming Mouse software with my G700 & use it for a number of things like Avatar mode, opening aircraft door, ATC, pause, Alt key to open menu & shut the sim down among other things. It's quite handy really.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

8 hours ago, Rossco said:

I use the Logitech Gaming Mouse software with my G700 & use it for a number of things like Avatar mode, opening aircraft door, ATC, pause, Alt key to open menu & shut the sim down among other things. It's quite handy really.

Ahh thanks Rossco. That’s good to know. And that’s with P3D4 right?

I wonder why the Logitech SetPoint software which may mouse uses isn’t working? Maybe I need to buy a Logitech gaming mouse.  But it’s also worrying the standard Microsoft mouse driver combined with XButtonControl didn’t work for me in P3D either.

I just tried it out for myself. You're correct, FSUIPC does not do anything of significance with the mouse... kind of a bummer... I thought it might.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:30 AM, paj said:

such as mouse-look [space], flaps [F6 F7] and zoom/increment [ - + ] etc)  to mouse buttons, particularly buttons 4, 5 or above?

FSUIPC offers Mouse Look (by mouse movement - middle button held to engage or optionally a keypress/fsuipc control instead), and Zoom (on the mouse scroll wheel), but not flaps, and apart from the Lua plug-in facilities for mice, offers no east assignments for mouse buttons.

Pete

• Upvote 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Many thanks for the confirmation Pete. I love FSUIPC and use it to manage the functionality of my Saitek x52 joystick.

12 hours ago, paj said:

Ahh thanks Rossco. That’s good to know. And that’s with P3D4 right?

Yes it is. As it's a keyboard emulation I expect it will work with any game/sim/program.

I have it set up for FSX,P3Dv3 & P3Dv4.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit