Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Any news on 4.2 update?

Q. Helicopter flight models in FSX and previous versions of P3D didn't include all helicopter flight dynamics like vortex ring state etc. Are there plans to include more helicopter flight dynamics in P3D v4?

A. Absolutely. Now that Sikorsky is part of Lockheed Martin, rotary has become a renewed focus of ours. In fact, in v4.2 you will see a couple new MH-60s and a new CH-53E. Additionally, v4.2 will be the first release to feature helicopter AI and helicopter autopilot capabilities. We will continue to work helicopter related features and look forward to expanding support of rotary platforms in the very near future.

Q. What new aircraft will be available for P3D in the company months,both fixed wing and rotary ?

A. In Prepar3D v4.2 you will see an MH-60R, MH-60S, and CH-53E.

Anyone picked up on this yet? 

http://pcsimulators.org/index.php/flightsimulators/prepar3d/lockheed-martin-interview

• Upvote 4

Nice post. Based on that 4.2 will have 3 new helicopters and helicopter AI.

• Upvote 1

Helicopters !!!!!  Great !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

30 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Helicopters !!!!!  Great !

Real aircraft have wings!  :biggrin:

I have about 20hrs in rotorcraft IRL ( many years ago) and I did ok but, for the life of me, I can't fly them in either FSX or P3D. Tend to lose control when transitioning to a hover.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't think anyone should read too much into this,especially because there are some slopped runways in FSX/P3D made by  third parties. Since we do know, up to a certain extent, that they also give betas to third party developers, maybe this holds some modicum of truth? 

[ADDED] Optional rising runway functionality

http://forums.tfdidesign.com/index.php?/topic/2268-beta-change-log/

6 minutes ago, drcancerman said:

I don't think anyone should read too much into this,especially because there are some slopped runways in FSX/P3D made by  third parties. Since we do know, up to a certain extent, that they also give betas to third party developers, maybe this holds some modicum of truth? 

http://forums.tfdidesign.com/index.php?/topic/2268-beta-change-log/

They're referring to the rising runway symbology that's frequently used on PFDs.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Chapstick said:

They're referring to the rising runway symbology that's frequently used on PFDs.

Ah! 
I stand corrected then! :)
*hides tinfoil hat* 

20 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Real aircraft have wings!  :biggrin:

I have about 20hrs in rotorcraft IRL ( many years ago) and I did ok but, for the life of me, I can't fly them in either FSX or P3D. Tend to lose control when transitioning to a hover.

Vic

I don't have any RL chopper experience, but I feel much better after reading you run into the same issue.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

As much as I want to get excited about a new update, I am holding back because of previous updates with minimal changes that are noticeable to most simmers. Hopefully, performance will increase and some visible changes like the friction bug and lighting gets fixed. Either way, we all know that for at least the first month, it will be nothing but people posting on how 4.2 doesn't meet expectations, it broke their sim or add-ons, or doesn't include fixes to the issues. I think if this update doesn't improve the overall simulator experience, I think I have installed my last P3D update and move over to XP or FSW. I can only hope that P3D developers will begin to develop for FSW. 

• Upvote 3

P3D v4, REX SF3D, AS16, ENVTex, PTA 2.60, FSDT KDFW, KLAS, KLAX, KORD, KJFK, KSFD, KIAH, KMEM, KCLT FlightBeam KDEN, KIAD, KPHX, KSFO, KMSP

ASUS Z97 Pro + Wifi, Intel i7 4990k 4.0GHz, EVGA NVidia 970 4GB DDR5, Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400, Samsung SSD 850 250GB, 2x Acer 32" Monitor

28 minutes ago, pmb said:

I don't have any RL chopper experience, but I feel much better after reading you run into the same issue.

Kind regards, Michael

Ha ha... I love 'em - even though the flight model has little to do with reality. The default R22 is easy to use once you get the hang of it, and quite a fun chopper too for very very very low flying... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

2 hours ago, sanh said:

Nice post. Based on that 4.2 will have 3 new helicopters and helicopter AI.

ahh fantastic. we've been waiting years for that..

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, tooting said:

ahh fantastic. we've been waiting years for that..

Been waiting for what, helicopter AI? Helicopter AI has been available for FS9, FSX, and P3D for a while now.

PBR and TrueSky (or simular) is what we need. Doubt we will ever see it though.

20 hours ago, Lbt564 said:

three things i want to be fixed:

* Autogen loading

* Mesh popping

* Dynamic lighting performance 

That's all i want.

This and better antialiasing optimisation. I've Googled and tried just about every conceivable option but still have problems with shimmering/ z fighting. And jagged edges on runways at certain angles.

• Upvote 1

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1