Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Any news on 4.2 update?

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

It is not a pimped up version of FSX - it is P3D

Maybe he's referring to those issues such as terrain mesh morphing, blurries, slow texture loading, etc., all things that were typical of the MSFS/ESP engine and, from what is written on the forums and can be seen on youtube videos, are still present in the current P3D version due to its engine being inherited by MSFS.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

31 minutes ago, awf said:

I'm amazed indeed Vic how this mis-understanding keep floating around that it's a
dressed-up FSX version, in it's current form we're talking about a different sim not even close to FSX...

Hence the difference is far more huge as it was between FS9 and FS10 ;-)

It's not about misunderstanding, but a matter of having different opinions. While there have been plenty of changes I will argue that the experience isn't much different from FSX. Major components like the terrain engine, flight model, AI Traffic, Airports, Nav database and ATC looks, feels and behaves much like FSX even though rendering, graphics and stability have improved considetably. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

3 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Maybe he's referring to those issues such as terrain mesh morphing, blurries, slow texture loading, etc., all things that were typical of the MSFS/ESP engine and, from what is written on the forums and can be seen on youtube videos, are still present in the current P3D version due to its engine being inherited by MSFS.

While I completely disagree to the statement "Prepar3d being essentially the same as FSX" there are certainly some issues specific for that display engine. One of them is terrain morphing. It's been present in FSX, Prepar3d, and FSW (as I checked), but absent from X-Plane and AeroflyFS2. I doubt this is a coincidence.

The same applies for the poor display of steep mountains looking like chewing gum, where the cause was traced back to the display engine by Holger Sandmann in the ORBX forum once. And there are more.

You certainly can ameliorate or even avoid some of the display issues. You either fly high enough as David states, where terrain morphing just doesn't matter. Or you don't use any addon-mesh (keep in mind the ORBX products include addon meshs). Or, you can probably dial down setting to a FS98-style display, which may or may not help but I would like to avoid.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, simmerhead said:

It's not about misunderstanding, but a matter of having different opinions. While there have been plenty of changes I will argue that the experience isn't much different from FSX. Major components like the terrain engine, flight model, AI Traffic, Airports, Nav database and ATC looks, feels and behaves much like FSX even though rendering, graphics and stability have improved considetably. 

No it has nothing to do with different opinions, because the core engine
isn't the same any more the terrain engine has changed a lot too ;-) 
But it's difficult to comprehend for some... (find FSX for example in 64bit lol)

Anyway I'm looking forward to 4.2

André

Don't worry when Flyinside comes out in a couple of months they will have something else to kick. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

My initial reaction when I read about "pimped up FSX" or similar comments is to say - then take your marbles and play in your own sandbox and leave mine alone. I figure if one is not that impressed with P3d, then save some money and stay with FSX. I would assume the difference then can  not be worth the price of admission.

Meanwhile, myself and others will enjoy what P3D has to offer.

And since one of the perks of being a moderator is to have the last word - I'm closing this down.

4.2 will be out soon I expect and we can start another.

Vic

• Upvote 3

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors