Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Navdata problem for McMurdo Station Ice Runway

So Navdata ariac 1712 does not have the ice runway for McMurdo in it, NZIR, only NZWD. This is an issue as I’m trying to land on the ice runway but I can’t as the data for it doesn’t exist in navigraph. The airport exists, both in the sim and in real life, but not in the navdata. Any suggestions or advice on how to add it?

4 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

So Navdata ariac 1711 does not have the ice runway for McMurdo in it, NZIR, only NZWD. This is an issue as I’m trying to land on the ice runway but I can’t as the data for it doesn’t exist in navigraph. The airport exists, both in the sim and in real life, but not in the navdata. Any suggestions or advice on how to add it?

I would divert to the alternate! J/k couldn't resist lol.

Simbol 

Just now, simbol said:

I would divert to the alternate! J/k couldn't resist lol.

Simbol 

The alternate is hundreds of miles away, and it doesn’t have navdata either:laugh:

Does Aerosoft’s NavDataPro include NZIR? Could someone check real quick?

1 hour ago, Milton Waddams said:

So Navdata ariac 1712 does not have the ice runway for McMurdo in it, NZIR, only NZWD. This is an issue as I’m trying to land on the ice runway but I can’t as the data for it doesn’t exist in navigraph. The airport exists, both in the sim and in real life, but not in the navdata. Any suggestions or advice on how to add it?

You CAN add it to the navdata files but I caution you it is tedious and must be redone each time you update the navdata files. I have added several airports, navaids, approaches etc. First question would be for what airplane are you trying to add it for? The reason is each plane has its on format and some are harder to edit. 

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

7 minutes ago, bill10 said:

First question would be for what airplane are you trying to add it for? The reason is each plane has its on format and some are harder to edit. 

PFPX and PMDG aircraft.

Hello Milton,

The navdata supplied for PFPX is in a file called navdata.nav and I have not been able to add airports to this file.  Specifically I have added airports etc. to navdata used for the Aerosoft Airbus and Aivlasoft EFB.

I do not own any PMDG aircraft so I am not familiar with their format. I have read that people have successfully added airports, runways, approaches etc. to the PMDG format. I suspect you are using Navigraph and if you are you can see where the FMS Data Manager places the navdata files. Look there and see if you can locate a file named Airports.txt.

Feel free to PM me and I will try and help you out.

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

43 minutes ago, bill10 said:

The navdata supplied for PFPX is in a file called navdata.nav and I have not been able to add airports to this file.

Shame, that’s the big ticket item I need to add an airport to. Oh well, maybe they’ll add it in upcoming data cycles.

23 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Shame, that’s the big ticket item I need to add an airport to. Oh well, maybe they’ll add it in upcoming data cycles.

Get in touch with Stefan at Navigraph and see if he can incorporate it.

Cheers

Steve Hall

14 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Get in touch with Stefan at Navigraph and see if he can incorporate it.

How should I do that? Email, forum?

Use the Navigraph FMS Data forum to report bugs or issues.  They are very responsive there.  There might be reasons the data is not included, for example it has to be in the source data they purchase.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

Makes flying to McMurdo pretty much impossible I’m afraid.

How so? I confess it's not a part of the world I'm very familiar with, but are there no conventional navaids down there?

The 747 has a supplementary procedure for flying to or from an airfield not in the navigation database published in the FCOM - I imagine the 737 would be largely similar. It's been a while since I last did it but as far as I recall it involved not entering a destination on the RTE page, entering the destination airfield/threshold coordinates as the last waypoint on the LEGS page and overriding the GPWS to prevent nuisance warnings on approach. Obviously you can then fly a conventional nav IAP in raw data or else fly a visual approach assuming clement weather.