Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Aerosoft AN-2 worth it?

I heard the sounds were a bit underwhelming but what’s the bug situation looking like?

Developer is looking at beefing up the sound.  There was a new build (1.02) on Friday that addressed a number of bugs (there weren't that many to begin with).  Flight model is by Alexander Metzger (PMDG DC-6, Manfred Jahn C-47, Sibwings An-2 among others) - 'nuff said re: the FDE.

The only reason I haven't bought it yet is that to my surprise and astonishment, I won a 10-Euro discount for responding to Aerosoft's annual platform survey.  So I'm waiting for the coupon code to arrive.  But apart from that (which is just my thing), buying it is a no-brainer.

Keep in mind, though, that the aircraft itself can be an acquired taste.  It's very slow and very quirky.  You have to be in the mood to deal with it.  If you're not already an An-2 fan, check out some of the many YouTube videos about real-life examples.  Also, have a look at the familiarization video by our own Alan (Chock) Bradbury, now stickied on the Aerosoft product forum.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that! I’ve been wanting something different and this semes to be the one! Is it stable?

Stable in terms of flight performance?  It's the definition of stable.  Alexander excels (as do Rob Young and Bernt Stolle) at creating an FDE with a sense of mass and solidity.  And as for the actual aircraft, it's a big slab-sided thing that trundles along and is almost impossible to stall.  In fact, in case of engine failure or inadvertent flight into IMC, the procedure is to chop the throttle, drop full flaps and pull the stick all the way back.  It'll mush its way down at about 25-35 mph.  Sort of like having a parachute except there isn't one - the aircraft is its own chute.

There's really nothing quite like it.

FWIW- other than the PMDG stable and PSX, the only other aeroplane that currently tickles my fancy is the Aerosoft/Octopus An-2.  Manfred, Alex, Ted, Jan et al's C-47 is also a huge draw. The An-2 was great when SibWings did it.  It is even better now.  Whilst there are some growing pains that are being worked on, the "feel of flight" that Alex has communicated is unsurpassed in the MS Flight Sim arena.  If you truly want to know, what it feels like to fly on a desktop- purchase this add-on, read the manual, spend some time fully exploring her quirks, and then prepare for hours of utter bliss.

Mix this with the Orbx World, AS14 and ASCA, EZCA, PTA and P3D v4.1 and you will come close to knowing the "footless halls of air" in the "long delirious burning blue".  It is odd that something akin to a Skoda or SNK Farm Tractor is what I turn to when I want to watch the world slip by at 300M, yet 'tis what it is...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/108498-My-Annuschka-Flies-Once-More-Aerosoft-An-2-RELEASED

HTH- C

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

6 minutes ago, lasnubes said:

other than the PMDG stable and PSX

I forget - have you tried the Manfred/Jan/Alex C-47?  It'd fit nicely between your An-2 and your DC-6 for those Alaska wanderings... :cool: