Sign in to follow this  
PhilJ

Help Needed - Brown Horizon Problem

Here's a few tests. I used the time preview slider and couldn't get anything odd to happen. These three are going towards late afternoon, when the clouds begin to darken:

KTIW_01_1350.jpg

KTIW_02_1350.jpg

KTIW_03_1350.jpg

I tried with all sorts of weather themes (Clear, fair, cold fronts etc.) - no problems..

My REX theme is Adam_PTA_25_04: see if that's out there in "Community". *However* - my SKY textures are different from my REX theme. I use a custom-built theme from FEX.

My Cirrus settings in PTA are Lighting: 1.60, Saturation: 1.00. I've been working on a new preset and haven't checked back yet what they were in 26_01, but you may want to check//compare those values.

My gut feeling is that it's to do with the sky textures palette.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Well, that clearly looks good....I don't think issue should be with REX or ASP4. Not sure should I delete Shader folder again and apply your settings this time? Yesterday before  I took off, I deleted folder, opened PTA and applied REX settings first (?). Than, it was day time, at FL310, I noticed bothersome brown horizon. At first I didn't know what is it. At the distance, approx let's say 100 miles, everything looked really beautifully, from every outside view. But than again, at night fall, ghost white replaced brown color. And that's when I started changing everything, deleting shaders thru PTA, changing ASP4 settings, distances, cloud draws,   etc...... but none of that helped...

Your presets are linked under your signature? Also, what is the flight level you took this pics from?

P.S.

I just visited your site and I found this instructions:

Download the preset zip archive and extract it to somewhere convenient.

Copy the *.ini file into your PTA folder.

Start PTA: navigate to and open the new preset.

Click on "Apply Preset". This will apply the preset and clear your shaders cache.

Launch P3D - and check that your HDR settings are set to the recommended values for the new preset.

It may take a while for the textures/shaders to rebuild the first time you run P3D after a preset change - this is normal.

So, first PTA and adjustments, than start P3D?

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

6 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Your presets are linked under your signature? Also, what is the flight level you took this pics from?

Yes - that link should take you to my PTA presets page. I didn't check the flight level - I just tried to copy what I saw in your pic. I'll try FL350 tomorrow.

Adam.

Thanks for looking into this Adam, obviously nothing wrong with your screens. Wondering if view distance settings in P3D are making a difference. What view distance radius setting are you using in your P3D config ?

43 minutes ago, PhilJ said:

Thanks for looking into this Adam, obviously nothing wrong with your screens. Wondering if view distance settings in P3D are making a difference. What view distance radius setting are you using in your P3D config ?

I think I tried every possible scenario.......he mentioned some sky palette might have issues, but not sure how we can fix that.....

Just do what I did for now, untick the "Cirrus Lighting" option under the clouds section in PTA.

Trying to narrow down what's causing this so I tried another preset, Saldo's December preset. Loaded it up and had the brown horizon. Unchecked the Cirrus Lighting option and reloaded the preset and it still had the brown horizon.

So it's not specific to your preset Adam but at least unchecking Cirrus Lighing on your preset kills the brown horizon.

Think I'm going mental, Just reinstalled Adam's preset with the Cirrus Lighting unchecked and now that still has the brown horizon too.

Going back to a totally clean P3D install now just to see what happens.

Please keep us posted...I will not re-install P3D....will abandon PTA unfortunately if fix is not found or better set-up explanation, because I see there are few people here frustrated with it.....Might go in to "unfinished product waste of money BIN"

Well I don't reinstall. I have a totally clean backup put aside. I just rename folders, delete the folders and files P3D generates after backing them up so I don't lose my custom settings, takes me about 5 minutes to go back to a clean install.

Anyway.....after doing all that and applying Adams preset again......no brown horizon and everything looks fine.

Now the hard part, finding out WTH is causing it.

Hmmm. I think than, I should delete shaders, start PTA first, apply settings and than power P3D....should be same result.....

Well whatever it was has now cleared. I've moved all my folders and files back one by one, starting the sim up after each one was moved but the issue has gone and I'm still none the wiser on what caused it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Phil, I will try to restore shaders and go around that first and see whats happening.....

9 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Yes - that link should take you to my PTA presets page. I didn't check the flight level - I just tried to copy what I saw in your pic. I'll try FL350 tomorrow.

Adam.

Hi Adam...

I did everything as instructed on your site. Downloaded, deleted old shaders, loaded PTA with you settings, power up p3d with F22 for quick drive and went all the way up to 51000....day and night.....Happy to report no brown or ghost white horizon....

What happened don't know but this settings so far work. Will try of course commercial flight to see if I will have any issues.....

Thanks

7 hours ago, PhilJ said:

Well whatever it was has now cleared. I've moved all my folders and files back one by one, starting the sim up after each one was moved but the issue has gone and I'm still none the wiser on what caused it.

34 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

I did everything as instructed on your site. Downloaded, deleted old shaders, loaded PTA with you settings, power up p3d with F22 for quick drive and went all the way up to 51000....day and night.....Happy to report no brown or ghost white horizon....

What happened don't know but this settings so far work. Will try of course commercial flight to see if I will have any issues....

Glad to hear that it looks that you both may be sorted! I still suspect the sky textures not working properly for some reason.

I seem to remember from some experiments a good while back, that some sky colour themes were a little problematic - and would produce odd colour shifts in the short transitional times between the main day/time periods. I found FEX did a better job of this than REX (which I think was geared more to FSX than P3D).

My current is a real hybrid: REX for clouds, water and ground textures then FEX/ASN for sky. So ... I don't have a single theme I can point users at.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the [hopefully] imminent REX SkyForce will cure all evils.

Adam.

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.