Sign in to follow this  
Saravanan

Ifly or PMDG 737 for my computer?

HI guys I am thinking of buying a 737 payware for FSX SE and since my computer isn't a gaming one im having trouble deciding on the ifly or pmdg. Here are my specs,

Intel i7-3632QM

CPU 2.20GHz

8gbRAM

and Intel 4000 graphics (Total graphics memory:1824 MB and 128MB video memory)

Based on my specs which one do you think will have the best frame rate.

Saravanan,

I think that with those specs you may struggle with either 737. As I do NOT use FSX or the 32bit derivatives my advice is limited. I do know that with FS2004 the IFly, has slightly, (I stress "slightly") better frame rates, but it is a near squeak. I think that if you can run one, you will be able to run the other. Most people would therrefore recommend the PMDG (support is fantastic, complexity is fantastic, dynamics and street appeal is also fantastic. Having said that, I have the IFly version and I am not only, very happy with it, I am happy to recommend it. I dont believe that you can go wrong with either.

Others may disagree. 

Generally speaking though, you will find that in all sim platforms, CPU speed, reigns supreme. ie the faster the better. A good GPU is a definite advantage too. However, I believe that with your system you may well have to upgrade the lot (motherboard/cpu/gpu and RAM.)  and that is a costly investment. If you do eventually upgrade, my best advice is to get the very best that you can afford.

By the way, Welcome to the forums and Seasons Greetings.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

There's not a lot in it, but the iFly 737 does run a little bit faster on most computers than the PMDG 737, so I'd say go with the iFly one. It's cheaper too and you get more variants as well, so it's a lot of bang for your bucks. Moreover, anything you can do to drop the VAS overheads in FSX is a bonus, and so that's another reason to go with the iFly one, since it is a bit lighter on VAS, not by much, but every little bit helps.

Personally, I prefer the iFly 737 NG myself. I do have them both, but there's not enough difference in what they simulate to prevent me preferring the iFly one because it includes nearly all variants of the 737 NG, whereas the PMDG one only covers two variants and a further two if you buy an expansion. I prefer the slightly lesser graphical demands of the iFly one too, since as noted, it leaves more headroom for the simulator to run other stuff such as airport add-ons AI traffic etc.

The PMDG one is undeniably a little bit prettier graphics-wise than the iFly one, with higher resolution cockpit graphics, and the PMDG one is a slightly more complex 3D model too, for example, the windows on the iFly model are textures, whereas they are actually 3D on the PMDG one. Having said that, there is sort of a plus point to having the windows be textures on the iFly 737, since it means you can paint it up as a cargo variant without any worries about the windows not being the correct configuration, so if you like a lot of variants, that's another reason to get the iFly 737.

The PMDG 737 does feature a fully-collimated HGS which is very impressive in how it functions, whereas the iFly HGS is not collimated, but unless you are using Track IR that really doesn't matter too much; the lack of parallax simulation in the iFly HGS isn't that much of an issue. This is in fact one of the things which increases the VAS overhead on the PMDG one although I wouldn't want you to get the impression that the PMDG 737 is troublesome to run on a lesser computer, it's actually not too bad in comparison to some other add-ons, but there is no denying the iFly 737 is a bit kinder to less well-endowed PCs.

Ironically, the HGS difference does mean the iFly  actually has a more accurate cockpit geometrically, since PMDG stretched the cockpit windows a little on their VC in order to have the HGS fit a bit better on a PC screen, which was a reasonable design decision, but it does nevertheless mean the iFly one is closer in cockpit dimensions.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I agree with the comments above comparing both of these excellent products. I used the PMDG 737 in FS9 but use the iFly version in FSX and it is excellent.

Another advantage of the iFly version however is that if you ever upgrade to P3Dv4, the iFly 737 is available with a 50% discount to previous owners of the FSX version. Unfortunately PMDG offer no discount whatsoever to previous customers for P3Dv4 versions of their aircraft.

Bill