Sign in to follow this  
markoni

P3DV4 - import weather file

Hi, I have been trying to find a solution to create the weather by importing weather file directly to P3D. I would like to avoid using any real weather engine and to run any other application while running P3D. At first place, I am not sure if weather can be set in P3D by importing weather file. The second, I am not sure if I can convert file made by some weather application to be readable by P3D? Thanks.  

That MIGHT be possible but I don’t think it is. What’s your apprehensiveness about running a weather engine?

It is possible and used to be a reality in Microsoft versions (Original FSX). However, it is more efficient for 3rd party developers to supply what we need.  In short, its all a matter of dollars and cents.  Lockheed-Martin would have to jack up the price of their product if they also created a weather engine with the existing simulator.

I too question your apprehensiveness about running a 3rd part weather engine.  They are very detailed and accurate now.

It is Christmas time. Tell Santa to give you a good weather program for P3D.

Steve Wagner

It is just a matter of smoothness in the sim. For instance, I use FSXWX which I found the least source intensive, but still there is some stutters. What is strange, if I set similar weather through the sim customs theme, it is perfectly fluid experience, completely stutter free.

I am just thinking, if it is possible to set custom weather theme in the sim, manually, it must be some way to import the file with specific weather or to save it at some location to be imported in the sim. 

I have pretty much the same computer as you and run Active Sky and ASCA every flight. If you’re willing to dial back some settings, like cloud layers and cloud texture sizes, then you shouldn’t have any performance issues with it.