Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

This is interesting...

I don't know if I believe in UFOs or not.  I live in Roswell NM, UFO Central, and have talked to some people who were around in 1945 during the infamous UFO incident.  One of them was the young girl who's father was the sheriff and brought a piece of the debris home.  She played with it.  She told me it was like a stiff piece of aluminum foil but when she crumpled it up and let go of it it smoothed itself out without a wrinkle.  The next day she said someone from the Army Air Force came and got it.  

This was on Google News this morning.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/navy-pilot-recalls-encounter-ufo-unlike/story?id=51856514

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Hi Noel,

Yeah - read that...

Reminds me of the interesting account of a Japanese 747 captain somewhere near Alaska...

The truth is out there ?

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Wonder how the government will spin this one.

• Upvote 1

Well, it's usually righty-tighty, lefty-loosey I think, Bill. Ahem.. sorry couldn't resist. I knew what you meant.:biggrin:

IMHO I think it would really be a word not allowed-poor do if humans were the only "advanced" species in the entire universe. Then again, if we're not alone, why would technologically advanced species even reveal their prescence to us?

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Who is to say anyone or thing was on-board of those things. Could just be probes sent out here to study. Just like majority of our exploration is with probes and unmanned missions. 

Matthew Kane

We don't have to be the only intelligent life in the Universe; physics means that it's unlikely that we will ever be in contact with any.  Even assuming intelligent life at the closet star past the Sun; we are looking at 4 years to get a message and another 4 years for the reply.  As far as we know nothing with mass can approach the speed of light, even electrons with there incredibly tiny mass don't travel at light speed.

I think that life will exist elsewhere in the Universe, i also think that they will be as unaware of us as we are of them. 

Ian R Tyldesley

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio", Than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."

DJ

• Upvote 1

Well, having personally seen a few weird things in the skies, and on the ground for that matter, I know this sort of thing goes on, but beyond that, we have no real way of knowing what exactly it is we are seeing. So, it could be an alien visitor, or a human machine that's come through time to visit us, or something from another dimension, or more prosaically, just natural phenomenon we've not yet come to understand.

We could say that there is no way it could be a time travelling human from the future, but in the same way that someone from 200 years ago would say there's no way we can go to the Moon, all they had to be aware of was that 150 years into their future that might have become a possibility, which we now know is now the case, so it never does to dismiss anything as at least a possibility, after all, it's still within one human lifetime that many people thought we'd never be able to break the sound 'barrier'. We as a species can indeed go to the Moon now and in fact have sent missions there over one hundred times, some of which landed, some not, unless you happen to be one of those fruitcakes who think that every single one of those missions has been faked. So if we as a species can do that, who knows what another older and more advanced species might be able to do?

Like most people, I think you'd have to be very blinkered to imagine that there is no possibility of life on other planets, and since the universe is a vast expanse, which for all we know may even be infinite, the chances are that there are intelligent beings out there, since there are likely infinite chances of there being other planets in the 'goldilocks zone' of a nearby sun. But whether there are intelligent beings out there with the capability and inclination to visit us is another matter. Last time I checked, I think we as a species had discovered over 1,800 planets in our own galaxy alone, with about ten of that number potentially in the goldilocks zone of a nearby star, so there is even a chance that we might have some nearby intelligent life, although the term nearby is of course relative in this case.

There is no reason to imagine a cosmic adventurer would not be curious about our planet, since it is unusual in the region in having liquid water and a wide array of temperatures on its surface conducive to supporting the development of life, but even then we're only talking about life 'as we know' to use the Star Trek phrase. It's a fact that some micro organisms on Earth have developed within the past fifty years which actually eat nylon because there was a factory nearby which produced nylon, so it's amazing how inventive life can be when it comes to popping into existence.

Either that or it's a weather balloon. :biggrin: 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

About time fragments.  About worm holes.  About warp drives.  About parallel universes.  About everything we don't understand...for now.

We like to think we are smarter than we actually are as a race.

But there's one thing I've noticed during my years.  Scientific history is repleat with, "We used to think, but now we know.  Today's 'now we know' will become tomorrow's "we used to think'.

Oh, but it's so much fun to speculate.

Roswell celebrates UFO Day every 4th of July weekend.  Our population almost doubles for the parade and guest lecturers speak at the UFO Museum on Main Street and other events including the 'Alien Chase', a 5K race.  Some serious runners actually do run but most people just dress up in weird costumes and walk the 5K.

One year when I was still involved with the Roswell Little Theater we put on a play in the Military Academy's auditorium.

I played the part of General Ramey, the general who allegedly replaced all of Major Marcel's UFO debris with weather balloon debris for the reporters to look at.  It was a fun part to play.    

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I’ve always found the topic interesting and would of course like to know the truth if we’ve ever been visited and the governments of the world have been covering it up all these years.

Its hard to deny given some of the credibility of  witnesses that have come forward, including astronauts, military and civilian pilots, police officers who’ve claimed to witness things.

Hopefully in my life time the government finally makes an official UFO disclosure or we have some indisputable proof that the government can’t spin as a hoax or false.

The one thing we have on our side these days is technology in the civilian sector to capture possible events that we didn’t have years ago.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

10 hours ago, Chock said:

Well, having personally seen a few weird things in the skies, and on the ground for that matter

Do tell, Alan ! :biggrin:

It looked liked dirt on the windscreen ?

Anyway - it had no wings. We all know that a craft without wings cannot fly....

Regards

Bill

It's not quite as simply as saying that "science used to believe", 200 years ago people believed that if the human body went over 40 mph it would disintegrate, this was a pretty widespread belief, it was based on no scientific data.  But the light-speed limit has been tested within nature, we have discovered nothing that travels faster than the speed of light, even fundamental particles observe the limits.  Theoretically Einstein saw that nothing could travel faster than light, but saw no limit to the speed that space itself could travel (something that the Star Trek Warp drive is based off).  The problem with this is that we know that things can bend space, Stars, Black Holes etc...  But for something the size of the Enterprise (or any normal size space craft) to achieve this it requires negative mass.  Even with all of this, Worm holes (if they exist and don't immediately disintegrate) could provide a means of faster than light travel, but even then you have to face the time dilatation effect.

Alan - The "Goldilocks zone" isn't all that important.  Both Mars and Venus are in the Goldilocks zone.  Lot's of things need to happen for life to form, that is only one of them.  Intelligent life requires even more steps.

This solar system has been around for 4.6 Billion years, the Galaxy for 13.4 billion years (given the oldest stars) the Universe is 13.8 billion years old...so where are all the Aliens, even at sub-light travel it would take around 60,000 years to populate the galaxy.  It's a given that the very first Stars would not have supported life they would have been composed of H, He and small amounts of Li.  They would have been massive and died quickly in huge explosions, seeding heaver elements for life, so conservatively, it could be said that the elements for life have existed for over 5 billions years.

I do believe that life will exist in the Galaxy, i can be convinced that simply life might exist elsewhere within the Solar System, intelligent life i think is going to be astonishingly rare.

Ian R Tyldesley

Maybe its just a beginning spin to encourage the new space age again? . 

Needs the people/companys support when we are going to use billions moving to Mars :biggrin::cool:

The rest of us is left here :mellow::bengong:

Merry Christmas :cool:

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hi Folks,

If they are out there - better hope they're not like us - or we'll be in serious trouble...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 4

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

20 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

If they are out there - better hope they're not like us - or we'll be in serious trouble...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott

I actually think that we are not in trouble if they are like us :cool::biggrin: 

The movie "Arrival" is a god place to start and recommended (then the venusproject.com , Zeitgeist on Netflix)

Merry Christmas ho ho :cool:

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png