Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Best study level combat jet for DCS World 2.x?

I see that the f18 Hornet is about to be released soon, but currently looking for some of the best fighter jets to try out? Anything out there thats close to study level with amazing graphics? I have the Flaming Cliffs pack already and also the Nevada Test Range map. Does the new DCS World 2.2 come with any new maps? How can I try Normandy map? I am also interested in the new UAE map and Kaukus as well. Where can I get them?

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think most would say the A-10C (not the A-10A that comes with Flaming Cliffs) and the MiG-31 are the best modules. I like English instead of Cyrillic on my gauges, so I’ve stuck with the A-10C. Razbam just released and alpha/early adopters version of the AV-8B NA that is appearing to be up there. 

The Normandy map is a payware additional map, as was the NTTR except for early adopters of the A-10. Those are the only 2 in DCS World 2.0 right now, but you can get the Caucasus map in version 1.5 (but not the other maps. They are expecting to release DCS World 2.5 which will merge versions 1 and 2 and have both maps in the same platform around end of January. They are working on a map centered around the Straight of Hormuz, but it is still in progress. 

Eric Szczesniak

I agree with ES above.

They're all pretty darn good. They have a few trainer models (L-39, T.1A and C-101)  which are less demanding, in terms of studying systems. The A-10C is a wonder, though.

Have fun.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I"m happy that the F/A-18C will be released (I dunno about soon, but I think we'll see it in 2018) as it will hopefully bring Naval Operations with it.

However it's a pity that my friend Matt Wagner didn't push the F/A-18E forward instead of the older and less capable C model - which by the way the US Navy and Marine Corps won't be flying much longer. In fact, I think it's a total bummer. 

Another mistake made by the Eagle Dynamics Team was to kill off third party development. This has slowed and stunted the growth of DCS, making us wait EONS for not only new products but the type of products DCS customers have been longing and begging for.  For instance, at the latest DCS customers would have been flying a very high end third party F/A-18 Super Hornet last December (though it would have likely been ready in the summer of 2016) - the product was killed off by Eagle Dynamics.  And there are other products that have gone the way. With the third party development locked out, Eagle Dynamics will provide all the products. That's okay with me, but how about:

A)  Providing the products wanted by your customers (Super Hornet with Shared Cockpit) instead of a single seat, less capable F/A-18C,

B)  Provide them in a timely matter.

Look Matt Wagner managed an INCREDIBLE team, EA Baltimore, and it was a horrible decision by some basketball loving mid-level executive to stop their work after Janes - if they'd been allowed to continue we'd have had DCS many, many years earlier. Jane's F/A-18 was just so far a head of it's time and one incredible product!  In fact those familiar with the inner working of Janes F/A-18 might well recognize a LOT of similar ground.  It's almost like DCS is an updates Jane's F/A-18 Simulator.

I don't know if Matt is calling the shots up there in Russia, but I believe whoever is could be making better decisions.  I personally know a LOT of very experienced combat flight sim guys who haven't purchased DCS, simply because the decisions being made have slowed development and delayed the sim from being what we're really looking for. Oh, you don't have to look any further than shared cockpit for two-seater aircraft... something TERRIBLY easy to implement but Eagle Dynamics has absolutely ignored this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 12/19/2017 at 0:43 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

I"m happy that the F/A-18C will be released (I dunno about soon, but I think we'll see it in 2018) as it will hopefully bring Naval Operations with it.

However it's a pity that my friend Matt Wagner didn't push the F/A-18E forward instead of the older and less capable C model - which by the way the US Navy and Marine Corps won't be flying much longer. In fact, I think it's a total bummer. 

Another mistake made by the Eagle Dynamics Team was to kill off third party development. This has slowed and stunted the growth of DCS, making us wait EONS for not only new products but the type of products DCS customers have been longing and begging for.  For instance, at the latest DCS customers would have been flying a very high end third party F/A-18 Super Hornet last December (though it would have likely been ready in the summer of 2016) - the product was killed off by Eagle Dynamics.  And there are other products that have gone the way. With the third party development locked out, Eagle Dynamics will provide all the products. That's okay with me, but how about:

A)  Providing the products wanted by your customers (Super Hornet with Shared Cockpit) instead of a single seat, less capable F/A-18C,

B)  Provide them in a timely matter.

Look Matt Wagner managed an INCREDIBLE team, EA Baltimore, and it was a horrible decision by some basketball loving mid-level executive to stop their work after Janes - if they'd been allowed to continue we'd have had DCS many, many years earlier. Jane's F/A-18 was just so far a head of it's time and one incredible product!  In fact those familiar with the inner working of Janes F/A-18 might well recognize a LOT of similar ground.  It's almost like DCS is an updates Jane's F/A-18 Simulator.

I don't know if Matt is calling the shots up there in Russia, but I believe whoever is could be making better decisions.  I personally know a LOT of very experienced combat flight sim guys who haven't purchased DCS, simply because the decisions being made have slowed development and delayed the sim from being what we're really looking for. Oh, you don't have to look any further than shared cockpit for two-seater aircraft... something TERRIBLY easy to implement but Eagle Dynamics has absolutely ignored this.

They couldn't get the co-operation from Boeing for the 'E' only the 'C' hence why we are getting a 'C' model.

Third party development appears to still exist? RAZBAM just released the AV8B Harrier........

4 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

They couldn't get the co-operation from Boeing for the 'E' only the 'C' hence why we are getting a 'C' model.

Third party development appears to still exist? RAZBAM just released the AV8B Harrier........

Close, but not exactly correct. Go back and re-read Matt's statement about this and see what Boeing actually provided. I can promise you that no defense contractor provided any classified info (even on an old platform) nor proprietary info from another defense contractor... I used to manage that.

Raz continued development where other third party developers backed out (wasn't worth the cost of development for them - pretty common knowledge).

Nice though that after all these years the F/A-18C is about to be released.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I think once the DCS World 2.5 merge is complete (should be couple weeks if not sooner) It will simplify updates/Patches for developers and hopefully free up valuable time they can put into upcoming modules.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Well, I have heard the stories of how hard ED are to work with. I think Milviz have been quite vocal about it. Shame really. You would think DCS would want to be the biggest sandbox around for combat simulation. Seems they are more geared to self protection. 

On 1/16/2018 at 9:02 PM, Phantom88 said:

I think once the DCS World 2.5 merge is complete (should be couple weeks if not sooner) It will simplify updates/Patches for developers and hopefully free up valuable time they can put into upcoming modules.

Yes this is a step in the right direction.

I agree with Dave and what's been said here. Oh yes I remember Jane's! Wonderful products running in pocket size RAM!

To address the question of the thread. I think the A10c is top notch, you would be hard pressed to find something that's not modelled in the real aircraft! If you can fly and fight in the simulation, I think you would be quickly at home in a real Warthog!

The question of DCS third party add ons is interesting. The Metal to Mesh Mirage 2000c is there in DCS....one of the Metal to Mesh team is in their bio. Now see why we won't be seeing the Metal to Mesh M2k in P3dv4....... :huh: DCS apparently get them to sign a strict contract that precludes the sale in any other platforms. Likewise the Harrier won't appear in 64 bit. DCS has the best version now. 

The VRS Superbug and TacPack is a solid 64 bit product. Thankfully, they will continue on in LM 64 bit, not having anything to do with DCS contracts! I say thankfully, because I can travel the world (well the Orbx world with AS4, REX, SF) and take the Nimitz and Ike with me too!:biggrin:.  I digress.....

So my answer to the op question is;

1. A10C

2. KA50

3. M2K and =3rd the Viggen.

And the Harrier is in the frame, but as it's not finished yet, yes there are many features missing so it's really a beta project on sale for full price, however it will get great in time. Time being the operative word. It took ED a year to fix the HUD in the Mirage, so it could be read properly, in sunlight in Nevada, in their new 2.0 + graphics engine!:cool:

Best regards

David

• Upvote 2

Just thought I'd update my above post.

Having just installed 2.5, I am afraid the KA50 has to be dropped from my list. The cockpit is so dark in 2.5 and the illuminated switches no longer illuminate! That means the weapon auto move switches and all the data link switches are nearly permanently dark in 2.5.  Also the route mode switch on the collective is no longer clickable?

The KA50 is in urgent need of an update now. It doesn't sit right in 2.5!

Nevermind. When the Harrier gets out of early release "beta" we can have a combat platform that can deploy to forward areas!   Of course by then everyone will be Hornet crazy so we won't care!:ohmy:

Cheers.

I totally agree! The F/A-18C Hornet for DCS is absolutely amazing. The sound immersion and modeling is top-notch! Well worth it.

Although, a bit of a learning curve.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

A10-C is the best one at the moment, for sure. It is complete, stable, light on frames a blast to operate. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

12 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

The F/A-18C Hornet for DCS is absolutely amazing.

It's hard to believe the Jane's F/A-18 version was 18 years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

It's hard to believe the Jane's F/A-18 version was 18 years ago.

Yearh...

Does Jane's F/A-18-series, have any relationship with F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 or F/A-18 Korea (which is the one's I've primary played).

Edited by Anders Bermann

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471