Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

7 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Active Sky was eliminated a few pages earlier, someone got the CTD without it running. 

Thanks, I must have missed that. Guess I really am unable to reproduce this now for some reason. Very odd.

3 minutes ago, Chaos81 said:

Thanks, I must have missed that. Guess I really am unable to reproduce this now for some reason. Very odd.

Judging by the many reports in this thread, the most likely explanation for this CTD is couatl misbehaving independently, but it doesn’t seem to crash the sim every single time thus the reports, including yours, indicating a successfull flight using couatl. It can either be pure luck determining if you get the crash using couatl, or subtle low-level configuration differences between each individual case. Or at least that’s my understanding. 

I always use GSX. I've had a crash and no crash while leaving it alone for the entire flight, and I've also had a crash and no crash when restarting couatl shortly after departure. But I have not yet completely disabled it via the task manager like mentioned.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

7 minutes ago, PWJT8D said:

I always use GSX. I've had a crash and no crash while leaving it alone for the entire flight, and I've also had a crash and no crash when restarting couatl shortly after departure. But I have not yet completely disabled it via the task manager like mentioned.

So please do that and report back, much appreciated. 

I flew OMDB -> KBOS in the PMDG 777 with most of the add-ons everyone else is using and didn't crash - couatl was running at the time. I've experienced this crash before but like everyone else in this thread, I can't reproduce it. 

8 hours ago, nazethc said:

Hmm i never tried to just restart couatl and try the flight.  Going to test that later.  So basically what you do is use gsx at the departure airport, and then reset it before departure thru the P3d menu?

Correct. 

Eric 

13 hours ago, B777ER said:

Correct. 

So you reset it say when your taxiing out to the active runway after push?? 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, tooting said:

So you reset it say when your taxiing out to the active runway after push?? 

After pushback and before taxi. 

Eric 

8 hours ago, B777ER said:

After pushback and before taxi. 

cheers

14ppkc-6.png

Hi,

Just got the OOM once more. Departing from EHAM, I desactivated GSX after pushback.

One more question : if couatl is killed, is  it possible to reactivate it to be able to land on an FSDT airport?

Thank's

Yves

Yves SAMUEL

ELLX

10 hours ago, yvesamuel said:

Hi,

Just got the OOM once more. Departing from EHAM, I desactivated GSX after pushback.

One more question : if couatl is killed, is  it possible to reactivate it to be able to land on an FSDT airport?

Thank's

Yves

This is getting really interesting... Well first answering your question, yes just launch the couatl.exe from outside the sim. 

Now, Out of Memory error is not the same error as the one being discussed here. Do you use P3D v4? If so, you can’t possibly run out of allocated memory. 

Hi,

I'm on P3D V4.2. It's not an OOM, just P3D stops and classical errorr.
I tried once  relounching couatl.exe during flight, but no effect..

Yves

Yves SAMUEL

ELLX

This is a classic bug, which I thought went back to the early days of FSX (tbh, my immediate recollection was this went all they way back to FS9, but I'm probably wrong). Flights from Europe to the Midwest and west coast are always a gamble.

I think Andrew's post on 11 March is the best piece of evidence so far (the map showing the crashes along the FIR boundary). I think the cause could be: the unusually complex and vast set of small lake and oceanic coastlines in this part of the world; a bug in how bvcf.bgl is read - or maybe a bug in the boundaries (how does P3D/FSX handle an undefined region with no FIR assigned - say an unintended sliver of airspace between two regions?); or an unanticipated conflict between bvcf.bgl and another bgl file.

bvcf.bgl is the bgl with all of the FIRs and frequencies.

I'm not convinced that couatl.exe - an idling external process - is responsible for the crash. A bit of confirmation bias there, I reckon.

Bryn.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

This is a classic bug, which I thought went back to the early days of FSX (tbh, my immediate recollection was this went all they way back to FS9, but I'm probably wrong). Flights from Europe to the Midwest and west coast are always a gamble.

I think Andrew's post on 11 March is the best piece of evidence so far (the map showing the crashes along the FIR boundary). I think the cause could be: the unusually complex and vast set of small lake and oceanic coastlines in this part of the world; a bug in how bvcf.bgl is read - or maybe a bug in the boundaries (how does P3D/FSX handle an undefined region with no FIR assigned - say an unintended sliver of airspace between two regions?); or an unanticipated conflict between bvcf.bgl and another bgl file.

bvcf.bgl is the bgl with all of the FIRs and frequencies.

I'm not convinced that couatl.exe - an idling external process - is responsible for the crash. A bit of confirmation bias there, I reckon.

Bryn.

“Confirmation bias” is blaming couatl when you haven’t closely analysed 15 pages of first-hand reports indicating not a single CTD over that specific area when not running couatl and then dozens of crashes when running couatl. But when you have actually gone through the analysis, it gets called a different name, perhaps “the most likely cause”... 

Unrelated to the location of topic here, but my AppCrashView reveals five crashes beginning 3/11/2018 while flying daily in a variety of PMDG aircraft in locations all over the Pacific Rim with bglmanx64.dll the faulting module. This module is related to couatl.exe in that when you get couatl you also get the addon manager which is bglmanx.  This started after running the Couatl updater, which has not been a problem for  a year and now it seems to be again.  Ran the updater again and will run a few sessions to see if there is a change.

Dan Downs KCRP