Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

P3D 4.1 CTD near Labrador

I believe I may have jumped the gun when I said the new GSX fix didn't work. That was the July 11th update. I see now today that the July 13th update is available which explicitly states in the changelog it disables above 10,000 and 250kts. I will test this evening on a transatlantic. Thank you Umberto for helping us, whether it works or not. If it should fix the problem, I will edit my previous posts to point people just finding this thread in the right direction.

Edited by av8r172

On 7/13/2018 at 8:30 AM, w6kd said:

Years ago, I wrote an FSUIPC-based utility called QuantumLeap that should still be in the AVSIM library.  It allows you to reposition the jet to any named navaid/waypoint in the Navigraph PMDG waypoint database, as well as resetting the time.  That's how I fly the long legs anyway--takeoff heavy, climb to cruise, coast out, then use QL to reposition myself ~200 nm short of destination for the descent/approach/landing.  So for my EU-to-CONUS legs, QuantumLeap lets me avoid trolling for CTDs in the Newfie Triangle.

Thinking back many years about similar vexing problems, I recall a few pernicious issues in previous ESP platforms:

1. Multiple ATC facilities visible on the same frequency from high altitude (ATC settings, and where are your radios set?)

2. A bad texture on a region-specific AI acft that spawned or came into view in the problem area.

3. Multiple AFCAD/ADE files or a bad AFCAD/ADE file in the problem area

I think the ORBX FTXGlobal NA Freeware airports include a few buffed-up airfields up in Newfoundland, and also MyTraffic includes a bunch in its scenery folder.  I had to do a lot of work to deconflict those two ADE sets.  If using a utility like ScruffyDuck's Simple Airport Scanner with P3Dv4, you'll want to use Lorby-SI's Addon Manager to temporarily consolidate all your sceneries from the add-ons.cfg files together with those in the scenery.cfg while you scan for duplicates.  It's an option on the backups tab, IIRC.

Regards

Off topic but that takes the fun out of flying long haul. I bought the 777 as my one p3d airplane, and if I do not have time for long haul I'll pick some short real routes the 777 flies instead.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:04 PM, ZKOKQ said:

Some have CTD without having GSX installed or disabled. Umberto from FSDT is one of the devs who I have a lot of respect for, and if you read some of the rude people posting on his forum, I am surprised he still is interested in developing.

I think what you just posted fits into that category.

Developers that do not have English as a first language can come across as rude in forum posts also.

• Upvote 1

Just opened up P3D and had a popup for a Couatl Live Update. Looking into the release notes I found this. 

• GSX is now disabled when flying above 10.000 ft or faster than 250 kts. This should prevent crashes due to corrutped Airport/Navaids database.

So maybe? Just maybe? Everyone should try some more tests and see.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

How about we dispense with arguing about what was in the water that has since passed the bridge and focus on if this update fixes the problem. 

• Like 3

Eric 

5 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

Off topic but that takes the fun out of flying long haul. I bought the 777 as my one p3d airplane, and if I do not have time for long haul I'll pick some short real routes the 777 flies instead.

Well, what constitutes fun is an individual preference, I guess.

If sitting at your sim for 11 hours at cruise is what floats your boat, I have no problem with that.  I don't enjoy it, though, any more than I did when doing it for real...abject, mind-numbing boredom.  I prefer to load the big birds up for a long-haul, as the heavyweight taxi, takeoff and climb performance--the feel of it--is what I'm going for, and that's a LOT different than taking a lightweight 747/777 out a short hop.  Then after I get things stabilized at cruise, I skip the hours of droning, and move forward to fly the descent, approach, and landing.  Sometimes, instead of skipping the entire cruise, I'll jump ahead to an interesting part of the cruise, like crossing the Alps when flying from southern EU to CONUS, then jump ahead again once my eyes glaze over and boredom sets in again.

Anyway, I thought I'd offer it up as a potentially more fulfilling alternative to folks that may still be experiencing the Langoliers effect somewhere over the Newfie Triangle.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just experienced a CTD of P3D North Atlantic crossing West to Canada on N760A approaching LOMTA. P3D closed with AppCrashView showing a stackhash error code, no faulting module.  I have the FSDT updates as of yesterday 14 July.  I did not reset or turn off couatl.  Flying the PMDG 747.  Darn.

Dan Downs KCRP

9 hours ago, downscc said:

Just experienced a CTD of P3D North Atlantic crossing West to Canada on N760A approaching LOMTA. P3D closed with AppCrashView showing a stackhash error code, no faulting module.  I have the FSDT updates as of yesterday 14 July.  I did not reset or turn off couatl.  Flying the PMDG 747.  Darn.

That’s a bummer. I completed LSZH - KBOS in the 777 without crashing, post-update. Guess it was just luck. 

10 hours ago, downscc said:

Well, that is not good news at all. 

Eric 

Use x16, folks. It's a 100% medicine of you want to COMPLETE a flight.

Perhaps it gets too fast beyond x16 for coualt (or maybe the sim itself) to load the faulty element. 

16 minutes ago, Bardia said:

Perhaps it gets too fast beyond x16 for coualt (or maybe the sim itself) to load the faulty element. 

Most likely it's true

The least GSX dev could do is clearly explain what exactly the module is up to when in cruise altitude. We need to know in full detail what it loads, processes or tries to access. Has he already done that? 

3 hours ago, Bardia said:

We need to know in full detail

Who is "We"?  I'm not having this problem and my setup is very similar to Dan's.  I go through that area a couple of times a week at normal speed (acceleration 1.0X) and have had one CTD in the past year in this region.  I'm not convinced that my CTD was related to the problem that is being reported by some users.  

I personally appreciate Umberto's help in this CTD issue even if it doesn't effect my sim.  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

17 hours ago, downscc said:

Just experienced a CTD of P3D North Atlantic crossing West to Canada on N760A approaching LOMTA.

Dan,

I'm not having this problem.  My lone CTD was from BGSF-KDFW and maybe a couple hundred miles NE on your location.  I fly lots of BGSF/BIKF/ESSA to KDFW so I tend to be a little north of the trouble area.  A couple times a month I will fly EDDF-KDFW.  

The stackhash error code is interesting? I still not convenienced the problem is related to GSX.

Since our machines are similar and I fly PMDG almost exclusively it would only be reasonable to think I would have a similar CTD as yours.  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam