Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

This is why real pilots use checklists....

I recently started flying my PMDG 737 NGX and 747-400 using FMC programmed flightplans and the autopilot (don't ask what I was doing with them prior to this), and it has been great fun. Bearing that in mind, I decided to try the same with the Quality Wings Avro RJ70. Programming the FMC is reasonably similar to the Boeing planes, but obviously there are differences in the overall preparation for each flight. To be honest, I was probably too keen to get off the ground when I started my flight from EGAA Belfast Aldergrove to EGPL Benbecula, but this is what happened....

* TAKE 1 - the speedbrake handle blocks the letter "U" on the FMC, so I deployed them to get it out of the way. Unfortunately, I forgot to retract them before departing. What a royal prat :blush:

* TAKE 2 - I forgot to extend the flaps :blush:

* TAKE 3 - I forgot to activate LNAV and VNAV

* TAKE 4 - I forgot to push the throttles to FULL after engaging TO/GA, which resulted (exactly like the PMDG 747-400) in the engines powering down during the take off run

* TAKE 5 - I managed to remember everything, and I was looking forward to a nice flight. Sadly, P3D v3 crashed as I made my way north across the Northern Ireland landscape :angry: This turned out to be an incompatible airport BGL file. That last one didn't involve any checklists. It just added insult to injury :laugh:

I will be trying the flight again tonight. Wish me luck!

• Upvote 6

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

There lies the beauty of flight simming. Did you per chance have a bottle of red wine in the cockpit at the time?

Ian S

38.jpg

This is the other reason pilots use checklists, or at least should if they are wearing noise cancelling headphones. Stand by for a good laugh:

• Upvote 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

(don't ask what I was doing with them prior to this)

I'm going to guess manually tuning VORs and NDBs. :smile:

1 hour ago, Chock said:

This is the other reason pilots use checklists, or at least should if they are wearing noise cancelling headphones. Stand by for a good laugh:

Oh dear. I would have thought that warning sounds would be piped through to the headset.

Is that airfield in a depression? He seemed to be approaching like the Space Shuttle rather than a normal aircraft glideslope :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Chock said:

LOL non of them actually found weird that annoying beep, was a nice landing without gear thought!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Is that airfield in a depression? He seemed to be approaching like the Space Shuttle rather than a normal aircraft glideslope :huh:

That's what I call a "dive and drive" approach... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, Chock said:

And the follow up attempt to move the aircraft. Lot's of laughs as these folks try to figure out how to get the Trinidad on a trailer:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Real good one ! 

Roi Ben

You may be happy to know that I completed the flight tonight....and that included my first VOR/DME approach (as opposed to an ILS approach). The landing was flawless :cool:

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher,

If it makes you feel any better, I just attempted a flight out of KSEA in the 738 and had master caution light for air conditioning once I was in the air. Yep, I forgot to close the doors prior to takeoff. So that's what all the screaming was about... :laugh: Oops.

• Upvote 2

I worked for a Beechcraft Distributor in the late 50's and early 60's and repairing wheels up landings damage was a common repair for us.

Failing to use the checklist followed by flying without turning the alternator on ( checklist again) were the most common causes.

Dale

I took a friend flying in a C152 one afternoon and while going through the cockpit check I remembered I had forgotten my charts.  I left them on the FBO counter.  So I got out of the plane and went back and got them.  Then I got in and continued from where I left off.

We taxied out and I got permission to take off and as soon as I was airborne we heard a terrible thumping in the back of the airplane.

I called the tower and told him I though something was wrong with the aircraft and asked permission to land.  There was no other traffic so he told me to pick any runway and land.

I taxied back to the FBO and got out of the airplane to see what the problem was.  And everyone in the FBO ran out too.

It was my seatbelt buckle banging against the side of the aircraft.  When I had gotten back in I forgot to buckle  up and it was hanging out the door.

Needless to say I was pretty red faced in front of everyone.

But we took off again and had an uneventful flight.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.