Sign in to follow this  
klamal

New build advice requested please

Hello all,

So I am about to order this new build I think(Merry Christmas to me!!!  :)).  However, I have been out of the PC Hardware side of things for quite a while now.  So, while I know enough to be dangerous with hardware, I'm not the most up to date on things.  Can anyone please provide me with any advice?  Whether that be incompatible hardware, something I should upgrade or swap out or am I maybe even missing something?  Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Item #:N82E16811352048
Return Policy: Extended Holiday Return Policy

$99.99

CORSAIR RMx Series RM850X 850W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817139141

$119.99

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm CW-9060027-WW
Item #:N82E16835181100

$139.99

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C14D-32GTZ
Item #:N82E16820232202

$408.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11G-P4-6696-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M
Item #:N82E16814487338
Return Policy: Extended Holiday Replacement-Only Return Policy

$799.99

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - OEM
Item #:N82E16832588491
Return Policy: Consumable Product Return Policy

$149.99

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW
Form Factor: M.2 2280 Capacity: 1TB Memory Components: 3D NAND Option: 960 EVO
Item #:9SIA12K54C9643
Sold by 3C Expert 

$472.55

CPU INTEL| core i7-8700K Configurator
Item #:N82E16819117842
Return Policy: Extended Holiday Replacement-Only Return Policy

1 × Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

Item #: N82E16819117827

1 × ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813119033

$614.98

Grand Total:$2,806.47

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

You are not missing anything(just a second SSD if you want to install OS in another partition), all you have there is compatible and you made an excellent choise on those components(except windows 10 :biggrin:), you are going to have a top notch build there. Of course you can look other brands on all those components, but i guess you already done that.

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

4 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

except windows 10

Yeah, I am very much undecided on the OS.  I am currently on Win7.  Of course there are mixed opinions on this all over the place.  So it's sort of hard to decide.  I did read a post where someone mentioned support for processors later than the 6700 series(IIRC) in Win7 no longer exists.  Does that even matter much?  Are there any negatives at all to staying with Win7 other than support from MS will stop sometime in the near future?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

4 minutes ago, klamal said:

Yeah, I am very much undecided on the OS.  I am currently on Win7.  Of course there are mixed opinions on this all over the place.  So it's sort of hard to decide.  I did read a post where someone mentioned support for processors later than the 6700 series(IIRC) in Win7 no longer exists.  Does that even matter much?  Are there any negatives at all to staying with Win7 other than support from MS will stop sometime in the near future?

Yep, I'd leave Win 10 out of the mix too.

Go 7 Professional. It works. The support for your CPU is more important on a MOBO level. If 7 can see "the calculator" - it'll use it to the max.

I would only question one item in your list; The Corsair H115i.  Why?  Because after less than just one week of running mine, I had to either ditch it, or replace the TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS fans that Corsair supply with it.

Don't get me wrong, the cooler works quite well.  BUT, and it's a big but. The cooler only does what Corsair claims, when those ludicrously fast fans are running at full tilt, and believe me, you'll need headphones to hear over them;-)

So by all means go ahead with that cooler, but add a couple quiet Noctua fans to your budget;-)

EDIT:  I disagree with the Windows 10 comments.  I switched from Win7 Pro to Win10 and, once setup how I like it, which means turning off all the tracking stuff, it works better than Win7 for me.

32 minutes ago, klamal said:

Unfortunately sonner or later we all have go to win10, since you are buying a new pc i would buy win10 oem licence that can only be purchased with a new computer and is way more cheap.

Yes, the opinions around win10 for us simmers are mixed, i already had my share of that here in avsim :), i tell you my expirience with it, i can only have good performance with no problems applying some tweaks that i found online, and not using the latest updates at all(fall creator included) for more than one ocasion i was about to go back to win7...

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

OP, stick to your list and if you can add another SSD as mentioned above. You've spec'd out a really good system.

fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

I'll second the notion about loud Corsair fans. Ear-bending loud at high speeds.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Well i can give my opinion regarding the sound of the corsair cooling system since i have one :) it's lound at high temps!? yes it is! But i didnt found any silent one so far, and i already tried several with little noise differences, for me its doenst bother me, i usually play with headphones and when im not i just pretend its my plane engine accelerating like theres no tomorrow :musikan: as for the cooling efficiency does the job flawsely, if using the right thermal paste and well applied.

Marques

I have replaced mine with Vardar ones (140 evo). Not completely silent, but much better then original corsair fans.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

The Corsair H115i.  Why?

No real reason here.  I just more or less picked it.  To be honest, I'm not sure about the water cooling thing.  I've never done it before so this would be a first go at it.  Is there a better option?  Even not water cooling?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

1 hour ago, dmarques69 said:

as for the cooling efficiency does the job flawsely, if using the right thermal paste and well applied

So do you need to replace the paste that comes with it?  I was reading opinions that say you shouldn't have to initially.  But, they also recommended replacing after ~10mos.  This is something new to me to.  With water cooling, you need to re-apply thermal paste every xx months?  My current build, I haven't opened the case since I built it - other than to upgrade the video card once and upgrade memory once.  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

As for the Win10 vs Win7, I forget now too...can I buy Win10 license and downgrade for free?  Or, vice versa, buy Win7 and upgrade for free?  I think not to both cases, right?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

4 minutes ago, klamal said:

As for the Win10 vs Win7, I forget now too...can I buy Win10 license and downgrade for free?  Or, vice versa, buy Win7 and upgrade for free?  I think not to both cases, right?

Wouldn't be buying a windows 7 or 10 from wherever it is from tbh. Get on ebay, you can get a genuine licence for about £5 and a link to download it from

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

5 minutes ago, Charlatan said:

Wouldn't be buying a windows 7 or 10 from wherever it is from tbh. Get on ebay, you can get a genuine licence for about £5 and a link to download it from

Thanks, not sure I trust this option though.  I've never looked into it though so maybe it is legit?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal