Sign in to follow this  
franjoflyer

Will I be bottlenecked going to a 1080ti

My setup:

i5 2500K at 4.6GHZ

16GB Ram

970 GTX

4K TV that can run at 60hz and 30hz at all resolutions.

Prepar3d V4

I'm just wondering if it's worth it for me to go to a ROG Strix 1080ti, if it would help me a lot.  I do have a PSVR as well that I wouldn't mind messing around with as well (I know it probably won't be good).  I know this simulator is more CPU oriented but wondering if I can turn up a few more things by just running the 1080ti

What exactly are you trying to accomplish..  a GTX1080i is a lot of money..

As long as you can live with the 4GB limit on your 970, it should do the job..

And if you cannot, a 1070 would be more affordable..

• Upvote 1

Bert

A 1080 ti would be a considerable jump in your ability to increase settings, not to mention overall smoothness in the sim. I had a 970 with my 2500K at 4.6 and it ran P3d (pre v4 granted) quite well, moving to a 1070 was noticeably better and now on a 1080ti again was probably the best jump of them all. I don't have any actual numbers or stats as it was last summer and I didn't bother keeping any after I had checked it all out. Not long after that I moved to a 6700K at 4.6 as well more to see what kind of gains I'd see over the 2500K. I think I was more impressed by the move to the 1080 Ti than the CPU switch. Take it for what you will, just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Thank you both for your input and your time.

I wouldn't mind the sim running smoother and it's been awhile since I upgraded my PC.  I figure this video card will last me a long time so I figured may as well just spend the extra for 1080ti.  I was just worried I'd get barely any jump because of the dependency of the CPU but it looks as though that isn't true. 

I'll be running it at 30hz so I figure I can turn up the settings in P3D V4 that use the video card to make things look better.  If I can average 25 to 30 fps with my CPU and eye candy settings up I would be happy.

I just need to google what settings in P3D strictly use CPU and what settings strictly use GPU power.

I assume your from Vancouver area Dave? Richmond here :D

I agree with Bert... a 1080Ti is a lot of money for a system that's already CPU bound.  Especially with Volta coming some time in the coming year (rumor is Q1 or Q2).

Greg

• Upvote 1