Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Pull Down Menu Too Small to Read on 4K Monitor/TV

I tried to post this at X-Plane forum but could not get it to show up. Maybe they do not let new members post?

Anyway, one of their members over a year ago asked the same questions I have today. Why are the pull down menus in X-Plane 11 so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them on a 50 4K inch TV/monitor? Once you are able to get into the "User interface area", they have allowed you to scale up the size in my case 300% so it is readable without a magnifying glass. This super small size /font problem is also a problem trying to read the data box that has the gpu/cpu fps info.

Since most of the newer/lager TV/monitors are now 4K and not 1080, not correcting this problem will only make more people madder than they already are. People are right now doing reports on 8K and larger resolution screens so if we do not want to have to us a "Electron Microscope" to read the pull down menus in X-Plane, please come up with a way to allow us to read comfortably in 4K.

Thanks

Terry

You might be better served to send an email directly to the developers. There's no guarantee that they even visit this forum. 

NAX669.png

About the only thing you can do at this point is use the Windows Scale feature but i'm not sure that would work on a TV. I used to use the 125% but I soon found out using Windows Borderless that it actually is changing the screen size so I went back to full QHD and upped my cheater glasses..

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

I am not versed in writing code for X-Plane. If I were I would take what is already there the tells the menu and data box what size to be and what size and type of fonts to use.  It would be written to say if your default/custom display is 1080, you will be this set of values. Then if the default / custom setting is other than that (4K, 8K, etc)  increase those values by the number of K increase. If it is 4K then 4 time, 8 K 8times , etc.

This should in theory keep those fields,boxes or menus at least their original size. If this be so then we should be able to read without cheaters, magnifying glasses , or electron microscopes. : )

Do we have any programmers out there that can test this out or someone that can forward this idea to the X-Plane design staff?

Terry

8 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

I tried to post this at X-Plane forum but could not get it to show up. Maybe they do not let new members post?

Anyway, one of their members over a year ago asked the same questions I have today. Why are the pull down menus in X-Plane 11 so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them on a 50 4K inch TV/monitor? Once you are able to get into the "User interface area", they have allowed you to scale up the size in my case 300% so it is readable without a magnifying glass. This super small size /font problem is also a problem trying to read the data box that has the gpu/cpu fps info.

Since most of the newer/lager TV/monitors are now 4K and not 1080, not correcting this problem will only make more people madder than they already are. People are right now doing reports on 8K and larger resolution screens so if we do not want to have to us a "Electron Microscope" to read the pull down menus in X-Plane, please come up with a way to allow us to read comfortably in 4K.

Thanks

Terry

The pull down menu looks ok to me. I am using a 43" 4K monitor ! If you want to change the size of the pull down menu, go to setting/graphics/user interface size.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Eric

Where do I find this location to change the menu size? As I mentioned before, it is only the menu and gpu/cpu data box that are too small to read in 4K.  the settings in the graphic user interface is readable when I select the 200 or 300% selector near the bottom of the screen.

My vision is not what use to be.  Cannot fly real aircraft any more and only limited driver license so this is why I need a large screen and readable fonts especially when going up to the hi resolution of 4K

Terry

What about Setting window, tab Graphics, small selection box "User interface Size" in bottom row near Done button?

Done that and it does NOT control the size of the menu and or the data box with cpu/gpu info.

It only adjust the size of the interface settings "Once" you are in that mode.

What I and lots of others are having problems with is trying to get there when you have a mouse pointer that is many times larger than the menu you are trying to click on and or see. hence my ref to using "Electron microscopes" (these are used to see very small items too small to view with optical microscopes)

in order to see the writing in the menu.

Terry

14 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

Done that and it does NOT control the size of the menu and or the data box with cpu/gpu info.

It only adjust the size of the interface settings "Once" you are in that mode.

What I and lots of others are having problems with is trying to get there when you have a mouse pointer that is many times larger than the menu you are trying to click on and or see. hence my ref to using "Electron microscopes" (these are used to see very small items too small to view with optical microscopes)

in order to see the writing in the menu.

Terry

Post a picture of what you are exactly trying to do !

Eric Escobar

Sorry no picture available.

I have given up trying to get a readable menu on a 50 inch 4 K screen. Have gone back to the much smaller 40 inch screen that is only 1080p. Sounds weird but with the lower resolution/size screen, X-plane fonts/menus work better. I did find the folder in X-plane called fonts and it is full of all sizes of fonts so I know for a fact that they are there if only someone is smart enough to be able to tell the larger font where to display and at what time to do it. I am not that person but someone out there is, be it a X-plane user or staff member.

Terry

monitors always work better than tv's, eventually the 4k monitors will come down, i hope the 32 inch 4k monitors come down in the next year, 32 inches is plenty big enough for me sitting up close. i had bought a 43 inch 4k tv and it worked well, it was just too big for my liking i guess. scaling is the only way to fix text size in windows 10 settings. if you are on windows 7 it's almost impossible to scale correctly at all. happy holidays.

6 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

Sorry no picture available.

I have given up trying to get a readable menu on a 50 inch 4 K screen. Have gone back to the much smaller 40 inch screen that is only 1080p. Sounds weird but with the lower resolution/size screen, X-plane fonts/menus work better. I did find the folder in X-plane called fonts and it is full of all sizes of fonts so I know for a fact that they are there if only someone is smart enough to be able to tell the larger font where to display and at what time to do it. I am not that person but someone out there is, be it a X-plane user or staff member.

Terry

Patriot3810 brings up a good point, are you using windows 7 or 10 ? If you go to "User Interface Size" and change the setting from 100% to 200% the font size, menu size gets a lot bigger. Everything gets bigger with the exception of the 3D panel.

Eric Escobar

Window 10 and "NO" the menu does NOT get

larger when you select the user interface size near the bottom of the page. That and the GPU / CPU data black does not either.

That is what I have been trying to tell everyone . They must be controlled by some other outside instructions in the x-plane program.

I can make the icons and anything on the windows desktop as big as I want or need. Only this small part of X-plane is currently non-control-able

Special note:

I can get a similar output by going into the Nvidia control panel of my GTX 980 and selecting the DSR 4 times mode. This makes the program think it is being reducer at 4 K but display on the 1080p screen. Actually what I see on the screen looks like what the 50 inch 4 k tv displayed without DSR on the video card selected.

Bottom line is no matter if it is a real 4 K video or a simulated DSR 4 K video, the menus in x-plane are too small for me to read while flying without the aid of hi powered magnification (magnifying glass and my nose just inches from the glass) I am blind in one eye and a macular hole in the other which means not real good vision in that one either. Even if I still had 20/20, the menus are too small to see. When I went to the x-plane site to file a discrepancy on this, the instructions want some sort of system data download at the time of the error. What is so difficult in saying that the pull down menus are too small to read at the 4K resolution?

Please just fix it.

Terry

4 hours ago, Cat_Dad said:

Window 10 and "NO" the menu does NOT get

larger when you select the user interface size near the bottom of the page. That and the GPU / CPU data black does not either.

That is what I have been trying to tell everyone . They must be controlled by some other outside instructions in the x-plane program.

I can make the icons and anything on the windows desktop as big as I want or need. Only this small part of X-plane is currently non-control-able

Special note:

I can get a similar output by going into the Nvidia control panel of my GTX 980 and selecting the DSR 4 times mode. This makes the program think it is being reducer at 4 K but display on the 1080p screen. Actually what I see on the screen looks like what the 50 inch 4 k tv displayed without DSR on the video card selected.

Bottom line is no matter if it is a real 4 K video or a simulated DSR 4 K video, the menus in x-plane are too small for me to read while flying without the aid of hi powered magnification (magnifying glass and my nose just inches from the glass) I am blind in one eye and a macular hole in the other which means not real good vision in that one either. Even if I still had 20/20, the menus are too small to see. When I went to the x-plane site to file a discrepancy on this, the instructions want some sort of system data download at the time of the error. What is so difficult in saying that the pull down menus are too small to read at the 4K resolution?

Please just fix it.

Terry

Cessna_172SP_G1000_6.png

Cessna_172SP_G1000_7.png

First pic is at 100%, second pic 200%. What CPU/GPU data block are you referring to ?

Eric Escobar