Sign in to follow this  
FlyBaby

No major Orbx projects for FSW in 2018?

7 hours ago, torium said:

I am convinced that FSW will be an important platform for Orbx. But as Ken Hall (a developer who works with Orbx) earlier said on the Dovetail forum:

Where is that post?

That actually seems to support Hood's assertion that they are trying to make fundamental changes.

But is the OrbX global in the base game any different?

I think this quote from ORBX is most telling: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/any-orbx-product-that-is-redeveloped-for-fsw-will-be-sold-separately.2629/#post-16615

I reflect on that as confirmation that we are going to see something revolutionary in FSW's ground and Orbx/DTG are playing it close to the chest for now. In that post, John V mention TrueSKY but spoke about the lighting engine changes. He is likely well ahead of the curve and chances are they are waiting till they are good a ready to reveal it. 

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I think that the absence of any reference, at all, to FSW in the ORBX roadmap suggests a pretty airtight NDA. As others have pointed out, ORBX is built into the base sim and has also made clear statements about pricing policies for anything released for FSW. The strongest indicator for our being guaranteed an eventual flood of ORBX products for FSW is the fact that ORBX is extremely agile in how they go about tying their revenue stream to the evolution of this hobby. Their very business model suggests they will not (cannot) ignore FSW.

• Upvote 2

There is a bit of a reference here from John’s  announcement.

Some of these projects may be ported to AF2/XP/FSW although it's too early for us to commit to that at this stage.

So they aren’t committing but this clearly shows they are open to it. I also chatted with John at Cosford and he was unable to confirm but said they would look at fsw once the sdk was out.

Chris

• Upvote 1

Trying hard not to buy more FSX Orbx at the moment in their sale. The lack of immediate news re FSW is making that harder.

12 hours ago, AOB said:

Trying hard not to buy more FSX Orbx at the moment in their sale. The lack of immediate news re FSW is making that harder.

I'm in the same dilemma, but I choose to focus on FSW (and Aerofly FS2). For me, I know that FSX / P3D has no future (and will not spend more money on old simulators). 

If desired, I can still use my FSX:SE/P3D as it is.

I look forward to an exciting new year 2018. :cool:

• Upvote 1

I am only running P3Dv4 and FSW 64bit, and will now only purchase product that are 64bit addons, the demise of 32bit will be developer driven I think 32bit sim will be all but dead and buried in 2 years.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, AOB said:

It's actually making it easier for me not to buy. It seems like OrbX has some changes coming for the main platforms. In the past they charge for the upgraded product with a discount if you already own it on another sim. That's fair since they spend time upgrading, but I'm not going to fork out more money right now. Also they seem to have sales several times a year.