Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

666 The mark of the beast

On 12/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, Chock said:

Interestingly on the subject of spooky numbers, check out how many aeroplanes with the flight number 191 have met with ill fortune. It's obviously a coincidence, but it's an uncanny one

Same here in the UK but with names. Whenever there is a car accident it is always somebody called Debbie that ends up worse off.

On the news it will report "An accident involving 2 vehicles now on the hard shoulder of the motorway and there is Debbie is on the road so take care passing". I always think poor Debbie.

• Upvote 2

I think Debbie is usually to be found in warmer climes, specifically the Alpha Holeshot at St.Maarten :blink::biggrin:

Ahem... I do believe the word is DEBRIS.. :tongue:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Ahem... I do believe the word is DEBRIS..

Please tell me you realised an awful pun(sorry, but it was. :dry: To my shame, I laughed though.) was being committed.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I used to go out with a girl called Debbie who was a terrible driver. That absolutely was a case of Debbie all over the road. I'm pretty sure she used to think the bit at the bottom of her counterfoil driving licence where it says 'tear along the dotted line' was an instruction concerning where to position her car.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

No worries, Ron!! :cool:

10 hours ago, Chock said:

I'tear along the dotted line' was an instruction ...

Was she a biker too? Not that I've ever done that. I would never use the term blitzing through traffic... "more making spirited progress!" at least with my missus in earshot.

Interesting aside... Well it's interesting to me, and anyway some of you lot like railways & trains: I used to be a member of a model railway society. There was an exhibition taking place one weekend in Barrow (...it may be a hole, but they make nuclear subs there, so don't knock it LOL!). Anyhow one of my fellow members was a bus enthusiast (hey, again, each to their own!). Not only was he an enthusiast, he owned a nicely restored double decker bus which he brought to Barrow. Needless to say, on the Saturday evening we were cordially invited to pile onto the bus to go for a jolly out to a country pub. WHAT A BLOODY GOOD NIGHT! There was a folk band on and all of us murdered a few well known songs :blush:. On the way back to Barrow, the destination panel on the bus said 666 Cemetery. :biggrin: Much rowdy singing was carried out on the way back to the hotel. One of the streets we drove up had some posh first floor flats with windows exactly the same height as those on the top deck of the bus (of course we were on the top deck, it's more fun!). Unfortunately as we came to a stop at some traffic lights, a young lady in one of the flats who was enjoying a quite night in with a glass of wine had cause to hurriedly draw her curtains to hide away from a bunch of drunken a'holes. Not our fault she was rather pretty and was only wearing a dressing gown! :blink::happy::cool: (sorry love...):blush:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

money is the beast that came out of the sea.  imo.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

The Beast of Revelations is almost certainly Nero, in fact Revelations offers a rather obvious encrypted clue to that, which is kind of fun if you like languages and puzzles...

Aside from the fact that the author of Revelations - John of Patmos - was in enforced exile on Patmos, having been banished there by the Roman Empire when he authored the Book of Revelations, so he certainly had a reason to be dissing the Roman Empire, generally speaking the entire Book of Revelations is a thinly veiled pop at the Romans because Mithraism - the main religious cult followed in the Legions - was a rival religion to Christianity.

Lots of references in Revelations pertain to the Roman Empire, such as 'the beast' (the beast was a common epithet ascribed to Nero in those times) having seven heads with ten horns with ten crowns, which are variously references to Rome (it was widely referred to at the time as the City of Seven Hills), the districts of Roman control and so on. The five 'fallen kings' are the emperors Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius with Nero being 'the Sixth King who is', since Nero was 'alive' at the time Revelations was written, but even after his 'death' it was thought by many that he would return, because Nero had claimed to be the earthly manifestation of the Roman sun god Apollo, which he did to increase his popularity with those who revered Mithra, because Mithra was allied to the invincible sun, Sol Invictus. The Beast continues for three and a half years in Revelations, which is exactly how long Nero's persecution of Christians in Rome lasted until he died. The list of not very thickly veiled references to Romans in Revelations goes on, but here's the fun part relating to '666'...

Revelations 13:18 states (depending on which translation you use, but this is one of the most common ones): 'Here is wisdom: Let him that hath understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six Hundred Threescore and Six. '

Now, depending on which translation you have for the Book of Revelations, the number can be either 666, or it can be 616, but it actually doesn't matter which number you take to be the correct one, because essentially, they are both correct. This is because 'if you hath understanding' so to speak, you'll know what the coded reference is, not that it would have been particularly cryptic to anyone at the time who was educated. It is a numerological representation of Caesar Nero:

As with modern language etymology, there are numerous spellings and derivations of words, i.e. even today we have German Kaiser, Latin Caesar, Russian Czar etc, etc which all derive from the same word for a king. From the original Greek, when Nerōn Kaisar is translated into Hebrew, it reads as Nrwn Qsr, which in numerology for that alphabet is 666. This also works if one uses 616 too, because the alternate Hebrew spelling of 'Nero Caesar' is Nrv Qsr, which works out to 616. This explains why some transcripts of the Book use 666 and some use 616; it depends on which particular spelling of Nero Caesar the scribe who was writing it out was using.

Now you can bore the @ss off someone in the mosh pit at an Iron Maiden concert with some trivia about one of their biggest songs, and if you round it off with 'are you not entertained?' you can gain extra points for throwing in a reference to Gladiator. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here