Sign in to follow this  
andreadebiase

go around or not to go around

21 hours ago, skelsey said:

eventually the holes in the cheese line up and it all goes very wrong.

I like that... nice visualization.  Aviation and industrial safety have a lot in common..., investigations always look for the chain of events that result in an accident, property damage or losses and there always seems to be one. The train may have been going to fast for the curve, but there is a chain of events that lead to that final moment where the train hits the ground.

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

Just to be more precise on how things went. I am not sure i would say that I was not stabilized. Speed, distance, angle were fine until the very last sec prior to touchdown where i happened to pull on the yoke a little too much and made me float (i think this is the right term) hence I touchdown beyond the touchdown point. So would this still be a good enough reason to abort and go around?

Yes.   Out of the touchdown zone = a go around,  under the guidance of any operator I've ever flown a transport category aircraft for.   (As I think Dan pointed out,  be sure you're understanding correctly what constitutes the TDZ; it's usually more than the first thousand feet.)

Like anything else in the real world,  I can't promise you it happens the way it should every time,  but I can tell you this - if you're being line checked by an FAA examiner or company check airman and you land a jet outside the TDZ, it's probably gonna be an automatic bust  (excluding an emergency reason for doing so).

Any decent operator has a no - fault go around policy,  and I don't know of any where the pilots pay for the fuel.   Go arounds are free ;-).

Andrew Crowley

20 hours ago, andreadebiase said:

Speed, distance, angle were fine until the very last sec prior to touchdown where i happened to pull on the yoke a little too much and made me float (i think this is the right term) hence I touchdown beyond the touchdown point. So would this still be a good enough reason to abort and go around?

Good, you provided enough information so that we might be of assistance to you.  First, let me point out a technique I use when landing:  During approach, I am watching (among everything else) the aim point consisting of the captain bars and descent rate is based on keeping those locked in one spot.  After crossing the threshold, my focus changes to the far end of the runway.  This helps because there are many more visual clues regarding your sink rate, amount of flare and when you are going to touchdown.  I do this in both the simulator and real world.  If you happen to be carrying too much speed and/or you flare a little too much then you will instantly see this when focused on the far end of the runway. Seeing the impact of over flaring immediately helps you correct and get on the ground quicker.  Sure, you'll miss your aim point but as long as you are in the touchdown zone, say first 3000 feet for a normal runway, then you simply land having used a little bit of that margin of error.  No one should be trying to put the tires on the captain bars.  A good landing requires the correct speed (you should be trending towards Vref -5 in the flare), speed is very important.

Dan Downs KCRP

This picture illustrates what I believe is the touchdown zone,the last two lines on the far right your wheels should be on the asphalt  agree?

https://www.google.com/search?q=touchdown+zone&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS764US767&hl=en-US&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFk9mvoq7YAhVOON8KHULZABoQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=909&dpr=2#imgrc=7d66lr5lrD1EEM:

8 hours ago, andreadebiase said:

the last two lines on the far right your wheels should be on the asphalt  agree?

Huh?

Just maintain centerline...

Kyle Rodgers

11 hours ago, andreadebiase said:

This picture illustrates what I believe is the touchdown zone,the last two lines on the far right your wheels should be on the asphalt  agree?

https://www.google.com/search?q=touchdown+zone&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS764US767&hl=en-US&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFk9mvoq7YAhVOON8KHULZABoQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=909&dpr=2#imgrc=7d66lr5lrD1EEM:

20171229_063602.png

Touchdown anywhere within the green circle is acceptable (assuming no landing performance calculations that dictate otherwise).  If you're not on the ground by the time you reach those last two touchdown zone stripes,  go around. 

Edited by Stearmandriver
Original text seems to have disappeared

Andrew Crowley