Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

How accurate is this top 5 List of Addon Aircraft

Hey,

I just bought X-plane 11 today from the Steam Winter Sale.  I have been waiting to get this sim for months.

So now the question comes up - is what is the most study level sim aircraft which rivals PMDG/FSLabs aircraft in terms of features, failures, manual, documents etc. Richest  Feature set as possible.  Most important is developer support level.  I hate to buy products when developers is slow to respond or just abandons it.  I am paying top dollar for these addons, I except top notch support.

Please recommend on what is a good addon to get.  I am coming from P3D/FSX addons like pmdg 737 & 777, A2A Birds, Majestic Q400, RealAir.

I know there is DC-6 by PMDG and I may get that too.

Top 5 in List (1 is highest ranked in the video)

1) FF Boeing 757 v2

2) Airfoillabs C172

3) Rotatesim MD80

4) IXEG 737

5) Jrollon CRJ200

Happy Holidays

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I think it's hard to have GA and airliners on the same list. The FF757/767 are probably the best semi-modern airliners for XP11, but they will be outclassed by the Zibo 737 (Freeware) once it is done - if that ever happens. The IXEG might even be a bit more polished than the FF Boeings, but again, how can you compare a non-glass to a glass cockpit? It's a vintage bird to me. The JRollon is a classic, but I don't think it holds up too well by today's standards. I don't fly the MD.

• Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Make sure that the planes you get are built for XP11 and not just listed as usable in XP11.  Some older aircraft have patches, but still don't work fully correctly in XP11, even though they are listed as working.  Do your research.  The PMDG DC-6 is one of those.  It doesn't appear PMDG is going to update it for XP11 either.

I don't fly tubes, so can't comment on your list of specific aircraft, except to say that the C172 is a bit demanding in terms of FPS performance.  It's very well done, though.  Personally, I'm eyeing the upcoming XP11 version of the 732 Twin Jet.  I love classic planes.  

Other GA aircraft I can recommend are the Aerobask craft, such as the Panthera (which includes a house made 750), the Just Flight Arrow III (perhaps the best GA plane available at the moment), and the ASDG Super Cub (although this one performs terribly on my system...I mean single digit FPS on load in).  There's a freeware Lancair Legacy for XP11 that is quite nice, actually.  For aerobatics, the Mudry CAP 10 is quite well done, and is built for XP11.10.  

When Pete finishes the update on the SMS Beaver, it will be a must have.  Same for the upcoming v2 version of the Twotter, I think.  

• Upvote 2

Okay out of these 3

FF 757V2, Rotatesim MD-80, and IXEG 737 which is the best.  I do see all 3 have FMCs.

How does it compare with pmdg birds in detail and realism and developer support.

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I don't know what it is like in the FSX world (have not flown there for a decade), but developer support in XP is spotty at best. I think most developers are keen and enthusiastic, but I suspect they only work at it weekends (half their luck!). So updates are very infrequent. IXEG (for example) are particularly slow - last update was almost a year ago and it is crying out for XP 11 fixes. I have given up the IXEG for XP 11 although some people use it. Carenado are also very slow. You would not expect ANY updates for their products after the first flurry after a new plane comes out. They are simply over-worked, I think, and of course they are not study level. Flight Factor seem to bring out fairly regular updates. I only have one of their aircraft (FF 767), but it seems very well supported. Some other developers like STMA seem dead. Some aircraft are dead - the Emb 110, for example.

As another poster said - make sure the plane(s) you want are specifically for XP 11. Just working in XP 11 is not good enough.

My choice right now. Don't get the IXEG 733 as it is not for XP 11 and who knows when it will be updated. The MD-80 seems ok, but I no longer fly it - it is so different to the Boeings it puts me off a bit! But that is just me. Flight Factor is my recommendation and their new A320 is about to be released. By all accounts that will be the most study level aircraft in XP. I am waiting for that one myself.

So my base suggestion is - check out the forums before you spend your money.

• Upvote 2

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Thank you @Colonel X, @kneighbour and @Griphos for all the excellent feedback.

While Steam is downloading 54gb of Xplane-11 files, I was browsing the x-plane.org forums and doing research on the companies.  IXEG 737 is not even listed on x-plane.org and FF is the one with the most active support and I will wait for their A320 or X-plane.org sale on these birds by FF and or RotateSim. 

In the meantime, I will play with the X-plane 11, Zibo mod, and Ortho4XP. 

Looks like P3Dv4 stay strong on my system as PMDG 737 Max should be out by next year (rumor has it).

18 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

@Griphos I was browsing the x-plane.org forums and doing research on the companies.  IXEG 737 is not even listed on x-plane.org and FF is the one with the most active support

Keep in mind that x-plane.org is a commercial website (not the official X-Plane website) and provides support for products sold in their store (e.g. FF). On the other hand, IXEG is not distributed by x-plane.org, but by x-pilot.com (there's been some quarreling between them in the past).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Keep in mind that x-plane.org is a commercial website (not the official X-Plane website) and provides support for products sold in their store (e.g. FF). On the other hand, IXEG is not distributed by x-plane.org, but by x-pilot.com (there's been some quarreling between them in the past).

Wow, Thank you for clarifying that for me.  I really thought X-plane.org was the official store for X-plane.  Like the corporate entity owning *.com and *.org domain

That is very confusing, how did X-plane devs did not buy the .org domain too when the official site got created.  Quite amusing and confusing

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Wow, Thank you for clarifying that for me.  I really thought X-plane.org was the official store for X-plane.  Like the corporate entity owning *.com and *.org domain

That is very confusing, how did X-plane devs did not buy the .org domain too when the official site got created.  Quite amusing and confusing

It's likely Laminar gave it to them so they would create a community platform. Welcome to X-Plane.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I thought the IXEG 737 was fully compatible with XP11. I've used it consistently for flights on VATSIM with no issue whatsoever. I haven't run into any real issues with the plane although maybe I'm not looking as in depth as others. I do have the FF 767 which is a total blast to fly as well. 

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

6 hours ago, Griphos said:

Make sure that the planes you get are built for XP11 and not just listed as usable in XP11.  Some older aircraft have patches, but still don't work fully correctly in XP11, even though they are listed as working.  Do your research.  The PMDG DC-6 is one of those.  It doesn't appear PMDG is going to update it for XP11 either.

I don't fly tubes, so can't comment on your list of specific aircraft, except to say that the C172 is a bit demanding in terms of FPS performance.  It's very well done, though.  Personally, I'm eyeing the upcoming XP11 version of the 732 Twin Jet.  I love classic planes.  

Other GA aircraft I can recommend are the Aerobask craft, such as the Panthera (which includes a house made 750), the Just Flight Arrow III (perhaps the best GA plane available at the moment), and the ASDG Super Cub (although this one performs terribly on my system...I mean single digit FPS on load in).  There's a freeware Lancair Legacy for XP11 that is quite nice, actually.  For aerobatics, the Mudry CAP 10 is quite well done, and is built for XP11.10.  

When Pete finishes the update on the SMS Beaver, it will be a must have.  Same for the upcoming v2 version of the Twotter, I think.  

I am surprised you have trouble with the ASDG Super Cub. fps on my system is about the same as the Just Flight Arrow III. Neither plane taxes the fps for me. 

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is.  I've heard others have experienced poor performance with it, but others again have not.  When I load it, FPS is in the single digits, and it only ever climbs up to the high teens.  I tried reinstalling it, but I have no idea why it performs so poorly on my system.  All my other aircraft (and I have a number) perform quite well (at least above 30 FPS minimum).  It's a shame.  I love the Cub!!  I'd love to have it work.  They were nice enough to give me a refund, so I've removed it from my system.  I'll keep an eye on its development, though.  Perhaps it will be further optimized and I can try again.  

7 hours ago, Skywolf said:

Hey,

I just bought X-plane 11 today from the Steam Winter Sale.  I have been waiting to get this sim for months.

So now the question comes up - is what is the most study level sim aircraft which rivals PMDG/FSLabs aircraft in terms of features, failures, manual, documents etc. Richest  Feature set as possible.  Most important is developer support level.  I hate to buy products when developers is slow to respond or just abandons it.  I am paying top dollar for these addons, I except top notch support.

Please recommend on what is a good addon to get.  I am coming from P3D/FSX addons like pmdg 737 & 777, A2A Birds, Majestic Q400, RealAir.

I know there is DC-6 by PMDG and I may get that too.

Top 5 in List (1 is highest ranked in the video)

1) FF Boeing 757 v2

2) Airfoillabs C172

3) Rotatesim MD80

4) IXEG 737

5) Jrollon CRJ200

Happy Holidays

This list is one author's view.  The X-Aviation SAAB is extremely well done,  a study sim level for turbo prop.  It is also well supported.  The Super Critical Group (SSG) Boeing 747-8i is also very nice.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

757v2 is well done, but brown cockpit.

imho ixeg has the best looking cockpit, but not officially for xp11, and not finished + updates take years to get released.

zibo is very nice but also cockpit textures not so much imho

-Roland