Sign in to follow this  
Goalie70

PMDG C Series and MAX on horizon????

Do PMDG make excellent aircraft add-ons, yes. Without a doubt. But their upgrade policies were a straight cash grab IMO. Comparing the other aircraft which has similar systems fidelity such as the FSL A320, and Majestic Dash 8 were all also developed for FSX, and then converted to P3D. Neither FSL nor Majestic charged full upgrade price for older users.

And considering that that they already had the aircraft developed for FSX, and offered no new features in 64-bit, and charging a premium was uncalled for. The only reason I purchased the NGX was that neither AS or iFly had their products updated to v4 at the time. I do hope FSW, being a sim in which having fun is legally permitted, brings some good news as developers will not be able to hide behind the "Professional" tag anymore.

About the C-Series, I hope someone seriously does one. Heck, I'll even pick up a Carenado C-Series aircraft if they do one.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but did FSL or Majestic have to pay Airbus or Bombardier for a completely separate licence for P3D versions of their planes? You have absolutely no idea what the agreement is between PMDG and Boeing.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Chock said:

True, but the point remains that such licenses are not necessarily an indicator that one add-on is more accurate than another.

I didn't indicate disagreement with this. Just noting the license agreements tend to be about more than just copyrights and trademarks.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

A good example of where that can get silly and even misleading however - and it frequently does - would be the Just Flight Douglas DC-3, which somewhat ludicrously owing to the international vagaries of copyright when in its Steam FSX-SE iteration, is referred to as the McDonnell-Douglas DC-3 because DC is held as a trademark by MD even though MD is actually now part of Boeing...

Just curious. How do you know the naming is due to licensing requirements ?  It seems more likely they may simply have erroneously used McDonnell for an aircraft that pre-dated the Douglas, McDonnell merger.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

4 hours ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

But their upgrade policies were a straight cash grab IMO

Again, I’m not going to get into their pricing polices but it certainly isn’t a cash grab. If you’ve ever talked to RSR, you’d know that.

Neither FSL nor Majestic charged full upgrade price for older users

PMDG isn’t FSL or Majestic, are they? They have their own business model that works for them, as do all companies. Just because Verizon gives you a $300 discount on a new iPhone doesn’t mean AT&T has to do the same.

and offered no new features in 64-bit,

The new feature was the fact that it’s a 64 bit version of the plane. You say that like it wasn’t a massive undertaking for them.

being a sim in which having fun is legally permitted,

Don’t be like that. Please.

brings some good news as developers will not be able to hide behind the "Professional" tag anymore.

PMDG doesn’t hide behind anything. There are some companies that do, but PMDG certainly aren’t one of them.

About the C-Series, I hope someone seriously does one. Heck, I'll even pick up a Carenado C-Series aircraft if they do one.

Maybe Aerosoft or FSL will take it on once their Airbus series are complete, whatever decade that may be in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but did FSL or Majestic have to pay Airbus or Bombardier for a completely separate licence for P3D versions of their planes? You have absolutely no idea what the agreement is between PMDG and Boeing.

+1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ErnieAlston said:

Just curious. How do you know the naming is due to licensing requirements ?  It seems more likely they may simply have erroneously used McDonnell for an aircraft that pre-dated the Douglas, McDonnell merger.

Well, I don't know for certain, but I do know that Steam, or more correctly the Valve Corporation, adopt a bit of a shotgun approach to covering themselves legally, to take into account the nature of the worldwide coverage of the Steam platform, and I do know that the JF DC-3 wasn't originally referred to as the MD DC-3 on Steam, so it seems a likely explanation that it was changed in order to easily comply with global copyright, but this is admittedly an educated guess rather than an actual statement of fact. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 12/22/2017 at 11:55 AM, joemiller said:

They have never mean to stop PMDG or any developer. They work to being quality products to customers- not to please or stop anyone else. 

Same=   "What PMDG does never stops I-Fly."

Then why bring it up?

And you are correct.  iFly isn't a lightweight.  This is primarily because the developers listened to me and a select few others that were in their small circle of technical advisors to make the 737 the product that it is today.  And I will say that the 737 that they initially released, and the product that it is now are completely different animals.  But alas, this is a PMDG forum, so I will leave it at that.

On 12/27/2017 at 11:16 AM, flightwatch said:

But alas, this is a PMDG forum, so I will leave it at that.

It isn’t, it’s in the Hangar Chat section now.